No Uk Magazines?

MELIKE

Since i'm from Australia we were weaned more on the UK magazines (and systems) moreso than the US stuff so rather than the master system and the NES we had the c64. Instead of EGM and gamepro we had stuff like zzap64 and C+VG. Just checking if anyone knows where to get some uk magazine scans

from? Zzap seems to be well represented but woudl love to find some of the others...particularly old issues of Edge..thats my holy grail.

Id buy back issues myself but the postage is way too nasty from the UK... :(

There are some UK magazines here. I've uploaded some MEGA (Mega Drive magazine) scans here. There is also the excellent Sega Saturn magazine and MAXIMUM scans done by meppi here as well.

A lot of other sites have UK magazine scans, although not zipped/cbr'd like Retromags, and can be viewed/downloaded a page at a time.

The links below are pulled from a recent blog I did on retro mags (where Retromags.com is included, of course).

Amstrad CPC scans at CPC Wiki

http://www.cpcwiki.com/index.php/Mags

Spectrum scans at World of Spectrum

ftp://ftp.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sinclair/magazines

Amiga scans at Amiga Magazine Rack

http://amr.abime.net/

A selection of Commodore Format scans at Commodore Format Library

http://www.commodoreformat.co.uk/

A selection of Zzap! scans as well as the Zzuperstore where you can purchase DVDs full of magazine scans at Zzap64.co.uk

http://www.zzap64.co.uk/zzuperstore.html

Edge is a bit of a no no, what with it being a Future Publishing mag. Mort had scanned - and placed DVDs up for sale on the Zzuperstore - the likes of Commodore Format, Super Play, and Your Sinclair mags, before being requested to take them down by Future. So people tend to leave Future Publishing's back catalogue alone from fear of getting cease and desist requests. So I don’t think he has scanned any Edge magazines, although I have got hold of issue 1 scans.

However, I don't believe Future are too bothered if the mag is very old and there's no profit in the scans (e.g. Amstrad Action, Commodore Format Library, WOS's Your Sinclair scans, Amiga Magazine Rack's scans of Amiga Power, Amiga Format).

Indeed, as Nreive has already said, I try to concentrate my attention solely on UK mags since lots of members are from the USA, so that side of the Pacific is very well represented on Retromags already.

You can even see which UK magazines are already on my plate over here on the wiki:

http://www.retromags.com/wiki/Acquired_Issues

All the UK issues on that page are actually my own copies.

The only problem is that I tend to take a bit to long in trying to get the magazine scans absolutely perfect.

So I don't release magazines as often as I would like.

I could also start releasing them first as raw scans but I'm afraid if I start doing that, that I might lag back even further in the editing department.

Thats great , thank you! it didnt click that those magazines were UK as i fixated more on the computer magazines in my childhood, less on the consoles..but im still really intereste din reading them. Thanks so much for all those links and information.

Shame to hear about Edge and Future but ah well, what can you do..its their right :)

Cant wait to dig into all this stuf f- i wish i had the actual magazines but hey, this is the next best thing. Thanks to both of you for replies and all your hard work in the scanning/etc

Mike

Haven't tried to merge pages with CS3 but I have tried in the past with different programs and non of them did it on an acceptable level.

So I just scan the pages from both sides, as well as the bottom strip and then merge them together manually.

But it does consume quite a bit of time.

It takes 30 sec to merge 2 scans in CS3. :P

And it always work.

Merging the pages in CS2 dont work at all, why, i dont know.

Holy cow, that seems to work exceptionally well! :o :o :o

If it does it this perfect every single time I could save so much time simply cleaning up the files and not having to cut&paste them together myself! :)

No blurre in any way and have the pages as straight as you can,

and scan as much as possible so Photoshop have more to work with.

I have scanned 2 mags with 82 in each x2 times and only had to re-scan

5 pages or so. :)

Photoshop CS3 is the S***!

Indeed. I've been doing the pages for my rescan of OSSM001 and been trying out various pages for Mean Machines, Super Play and Maximum.

Takes between 5-10 second over here.

Only had a couple of instances where the white outline around a picture didn't align perfectly, but that was easily corrected by hand.

When you look at the layers and you hide one of them, you can see where exactly CS3 cuts from one part to the other.

Sometimes it's exactly like I was doing by hand, and at others it goes straight through an image, but you can't see anything wrong with it even if you know where the line is.

Love it!

Thanks for the tip. Well I wouldn't call it a tip, it's more like a gift from heaven. :D