The Final Debate

Crazylightsaber

Obama, as usual.

Note how he calmly and consistently contradicted every allegation (or should I say accusation?) made by McCain - who looked sometimes kinda rude and agitated.

"You're going to raise taxes!!!" - "No, I won't, because of that and that". "You're gonna take Joe's money, you bastard" - "No, I won't, because of that and that". Every single one was like that.

Yeah actually I gave that same look when he said Zero. Because that's not what he was saying to Joe the day they had the conversation. Obama just threw that out there to try and cover his butt. Oh and yeah... I'd say that McCain won this. He stayed collective the whole time. I thought it was funny when you could just see the anger in Obama every time he smiled. You knew he was really getting pissed.

I love the look on McCains face when Obama said ZERO!!!!

@Crazylightsaber: I spent most of my life in Texas (ages 1-24) until I moved away for grad school and I'm proud to say that I'm a liberal.

Back on topic....

Although I support Obama, I did feel that the third and final debate was much more balanced between the two candidates. McCain went on the offensive early on and I think that it made him look dominant, which is what a lot of people look for in a leader. Obama, on the other hand, was very balanced throughout and McCain didn't seem to have much success rattling his cage. By the time we got to that final debate we had heard pretty much all they had to say about the issues and 90% of the time they were just regurgitating previous talking points. There were a couple of interesting moments though.

First, the "Joe the Plumber" business was a farce. This should have turned out to be a much bigger embarrassment for McCain than it has. Follow-up research has indicated that the real Joe the plumber isn't licensed, almost no plumbers make anywhere near $250,000 a year so Obama's tax plan would actually benefit them, most plumbers are pro-union (most Republicans hate unions), and Obama has tax exemptions in place to give small business owners a break. McCain's strategy here was not well thought out.

Second, the part of the debate that focused on abortion was interesting. McCain was not willing to get into the issue very much. This is probably because he knows that a majority of swing voters are pro-choice. Obama, on the other hand, revealed that he understood that this was a delicate issue to which he had given a lot of thought. He also did a great thing by shooting down McCain's ridiculous "pro-abortion" comment.

So to sum up, I didn't think that there was a clear winner in this debate as both candidates played to their respective strengths. As usual, when people evaluate these debates they will let their biases get the best of them: they think that the candidate that they favor clearly won and that everyone else should think so too.

@Crazylightsaber: I spent most of my life in Texas (ages 1-24) until I moved away for grad school and I'm proud to say that I'm a liberal.

Back on topic....

Although I support Obama, I did feel that the third and final debate was much more balanced between the two candidates. McCain went on the offensive early on and I think that it made him look dominant, which is what a lot of people look for in a leader. Obama, on the other hand, was very balanced throughout and McCain didn't seem to have much success rattling his cage. By the time we got to that final debate we had heard pretty much all they had to say about the issues and 90% of the time they were just regurgitating previous talking points. There were a couple of interesting moments though.

First, the "Joe the Plumber" business was a farce. This should have turned out to be a much bigger embarrassment for McCain than it has. Follow-up research has indicated that the real Joe the plumber isn't licensed, almost no plumbers make anywhere near $250,000 a year so Obama's tax plan would actually benefit them, most plumbers are pro-union (most Republicans hate unions), and Obama has tax exemptions in place to give small business owners a break. McCain's strategy here was not well thought out.

Second, the part of the debate that focused on abortion was interesting. McCain was not willing to get into the issue very much. This is probably because he knows that a majority of swing voters are pro-choice. Obama, on the other hand, revealed that he understood that this was a delicate issue to which he had given a lot of thought. He also did a great thing by shooting down McCain's ridiculous "pro-abortion" comment.

So to sum up, I didn't think that there was a clear winner in this debate as both candidates played to their respective strengths. As usual, when people evaluate these debates they will let their biases get the best of them: they think that the candidate that they favor clearly won and that everyone else should think so too.

Hey it's cool if you say you are proud to be a liberal. That is your choice. I am proud to be a Conservative.

I doubt the outcome of any debate will change anybodys mind about their candidate anyway. For example, even if Obama has destroyed McCain in this debate, which he didn't, it still wouldn't come close to changing my mind about Obama. I would still totally disagree with his views on abortion, foreign policy, the economy, illegal immigration and personal freedoms. Although McCain is not a 'true' Conservative in my opinion, he is the best choice of the two (in my opinion) that I have to pick from. Fred Thompson was actually my choice, but hey, you can't win em all right?

Hopefully, who ever does win the election next month base his decision on what the country needs and not what his constituents want from him. I suppose that is all we can hope for right?