Hardest Video Games Ever?

No, it's not just you! Even the Angry Video Game Nerd did a video about how hard it was (and for all the wrong reasons!!)

The hardest game ever to me is both Super Ghouls and Ghosts for the SNES and Battletoads for the NES.

I still hope to see someone finish those games without cheats.

Hell, even with snapshots I had trouble finishing SGG! In the hardest setting you barely have the time to finish the last level (even playing almost perfectly you finish with 10-20 seconds to spare - and that is killing the damn Red Gargoyle as fast as possible, something almost impossible!!)

No, it's not just you! Even the Angry Video Game Nerd did a video about how hard it was (and for all the wrong reasons!!)

The hardest game ever to me is both Super Ghouls and Ghosts for the SNES and Battletoads for the NES.

I still hope to see someone finish those games without cheats.

Hell, even with snapshots I had trouble finishing SGG! In the hardest setting you barely have the time to finish the last level (even playing almost perfectly you finish with 10-20 seconds to spare - and that is killing the damn Red Gargoyle as fast as possible, something almost impossible!!)

I am telling you, I have been playing hardcore from the beginning...I am talking Atari and Commadore, even Odysee (I could never spell it...I wasn't that old back then).

The hardest game EVER is Soloman's Keys. It is a puzzle game that didn't get very much press back in the day. Even if you cheat and have screen shots that show exactly where you need to move, you STILL die about halfway into the game. Some levels require that you not only know exactly what to move but require that you make exact, perfectly timed movements that start the instant the screen starts the level.

I agree that Super G&G can be ridiculous (especially the last level) and Fester's quest is almost stupid difficult at times (I can make it through Battletoads without dieing) but none of them hold a candle to what Soloman's Keys can dish out. I am pretty sure that being at least a little psychic is a requirement as some of the monsters (not all of them) have a completly random pathing algorithm. So even if you managed to get past it once, next time you might die doing the exact same thing.

I am telling you, I have been playing hardcore from the beginning...I am talking Atari and Commadore, even Odysee (I could never spell it...I wasn't that old back then).

The hardest game EVER is Soloman's Keys. It is a puzzle game that didn't get very much press back in the day. Even if you cheat and have screen shots that show exactly where you need to move, you STILL die about halfway into the game. Some levels require that you not only know exactly what to move but require that you make exact, perfectly timed movements that start the instant the screen starts the level.

I agree that Super G&G can be ridiculous (especially the last level) and Fester's quest is almost stupid difficult at times (I can make it through Battletoads without dieing) but none of them hold a candle to what Soloman's Keys can dish out. I am pretty sure that being at least a little psychic is a requirement as some of the monsters (not all of them) have a completly random pathing algorithm. So even if you managed to get past it once, next time you might die doing the exact same thing.

LOL. I agree with you there. Solomon's Key is freaking hard for many reasons, not the least of which is that it has 50 levels with NO SAVE FEATURE -_-

Although, if it helps any, there IS a code you can use to when you get a Game Over to continue on the level you died on:

(After Game Over) "At the ''Game Deviation Value'' screen, hold Up, A, and B. --> Continue :)

BTW that works with the Wii Virtual Console version of Solomon's Key too.

• 3 weeks later...
LOL. I agree with you there. Solomon's Key is freaking hard for many reasons, not the least of which is that it has 50 levels with NO SAVE FEATURE -_-

Although, if it helps any, there IS a code you can use to when you get a Game Over to continue on the level you died on:

(After Game Over) "At the ''Game Deviation Value'' screen, hold Up, A, and B. --> Continue :)

BTW that works with the Wii Virtual Console version of Solomon's Key too.

There you go....the game was soooo freaking hard the developers put in a backdoor so they could properly test the thing. (Not to mention you have to enter the code AFTER Game Over..not just at the game over screen)

Its not like this was a fun code like the Contra 99 man code (so you could do whatever you wanted in the game) it is just something that lets you try the same level over and over again until you throw the controller.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Oh lord. The first Ninja Gaiden for NES.

I still shouldn't be allowed to play that game from how mad it made me.

Yes. Ninja Gaiden = the hard. Also, Bionic Commando, Ghosts and Goblins, Super Ghosts and Goblins, etc. Capcom made some crazy hard games back in the 8 bit & 16 bit eras.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I agree with some that are mentioned above. Another hard one was Silver Surfer for the NES. So much stuff killed you, and of course you just had one hit.

It was so hard to tell what was and what wasn't part of the background.

When I clicked on this I was expecting to see this game's name being repeated on

every post. And only The Bear have mentioned it so far. I think the rest of you

should play it and then get back to this thread and start editing your posts eheh

By the way, NES's Battletoads had some pretty frustrating moments. Very hard

game indeed. Damn you mouse race level! (and many others)

Another one no one mentioned yet is is Dragon's Lair (NES). I must admit that

I have never played it, but I've seen it once on you tube when I was look on

one of those "The Top 10 Hardest Games of All Time" lists we see everywhere

nowadays (I'm not critsizing the OP)

One thing I find funny is that while I was in one of those Top 10 lists, one of them

mentioned Tiger Hely. I'm sorry to whomever post that, but that game is not

hard at all. At least is not THAT hard. C'mon, the game even try to save you

by auto dropping bombs when you are about to die. Tiger Hely was one of the

few games that were bought for me togheter with the NES when my aunt went

to the US back in the 90's and I must say that there are auto-scrolling shooters

way harder. I'm not very proficient in this type of game and even though I could

finish it (by finish it I mean reaching the last screen and looping back to the

begining). If someone thinks that Tiger Hely is hard, wait until they play

Sky Shark, which was also bought with my NES. This one was the real deal. I

could only finish it using save states hehe. I know there is probably some fellas

out there that can finish this kind of "5 billions bullets on the screen at once"

games without using their hands, but hey, I'm definitivilly not one of them :)

Edit reason: I don't know why, but my post missed two NOTs which made it

look like I'm good at shooters, when the truth is the very oposite :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator
What are the hardest video games you've ever played?

Mine are:

Myst

MegaMan Zero

I Wanna be the Guy

Eternal Daughter

Friday the 13th on the NES was frigging impossible until you figured out what you were supposed to be doing. Of course, once you know, you can beat the game in under 10 minutes so that sort of disqualifies it from the list.

Solomon's Key...good LORD is that game an exercise in frustration! One of the few NES games that I own but will probably NEVER beat. And yes, Silver Surfer is difficult, but that's more a result of bad programming than anything else. Solomon's Key is difficult because it's a puzzle game, Silver Surfer is impossible because you can't tell what kills you and what doesn't until it's too late.

Add to this all the Ghouls 'n Ghosts/Ghosts 'n Goblins games for being exercises in sheer fortitude (you beat the game? Nice try...go back and beat it again you feeb...bwahahahaha!). Even if you knew what you were doing, you can't finish the game in under, like, three hours.

And how about Ninja Gaiden Sigma on the PS3? That game's "Easy" level is akin to most other games' "Expert" modes. Sick, sick, sick...

But you want TRULY hard difficulty? Try "Impossible Mission" on the Atari 7800. This game included a bug that, literally, made it IMPOSSIBLE FOR YOU TO FINISH THE GAME. Take that, all you hardcore wannabes. :)

What's so hard about Ninja Gaiden 1 for NES?? I play that game for fun. Battletoads isn't THAT hard. You can memorize everything about it. There is a section near the end where it's pretty damn hard though.. the few of you who know it might already be sure of what I'm talking about. One word- Jets. Plus some of the bosses I guess are pretty crazy..

I'll get back to you on the hardest game I've played after I stew on it for a while. I might just narrow it down to the hardest I own.

• 1 month later...

Oh lordy, Contra Hard Corps (the US or PAL versions) on the Mega Drive. Insane! Also Super R-Type on SNES.

Equinox on SNES was easy until about the third dungeon (or any of the bosses); Trojan also had me stumped, but then I was crap at that.

Ultima VIII was crazily hard without the patches - incidentally, I didn't even know there was a patch until a couple of months ago, so I've finally played through to the end!

I'm not quite as hardcore as you guys, but I had the WORST time with Super Mario Land for Game Boy. Yeah yeah, I know, but that game was stupid hard for me.

I also had a hard time with Duck Tales on GB until I actually freaking beat it several years ago on ALL THREE DIFFICULTIES.

I'm still having a rough time with the following:

Snoopy's Magic Show (GB)

Kid Icarus: Of Myths & Monsters (GB) -- At least it has a save feature! Sheesh!

Balloon Kid (GB)

Home Alone (GB)

Kirby's Pinball Land (GB)

Mickey's Dangerous Chase (GB)

Paperboy (GB)

The Amazing Spiderman (GB)

The Incredible Crash Dummies (GB) - Oh lordy, I still have nightmares about that last level...

The Little Mermaid (NES)

BJ