Nintendo Responds To Animal Crossing Racial Epithet Issue, Blames Internet

DealBot

racialcrossing.jpg Earlier we reported on a copy of Animal Crossing: Wild World that was shipped to game journalists with a racial epithet programmed in the speech patterns of one of the game's NPCs. Now Nintendo responds.

A copy of DS title Animal Crossing Wild World sent out to media yesterday by Nintendo came loaded with most of the game's secrets unlocked, it also included a nasty surprise. When you come upon Baabara, the town's resident sheep, you're greeted with a racial epithet. The word is used repeatedly in your conversation with the sheep. Here's the official statement on the issue from Nintendo:

"Previously played copies of the 2005 DS game Animal Crossing: Wild World were sent to 14 members of the media to demonstrate the ability of players to transfer items to the new Animal Crossing: City Folk for Wii. We regret that an offensive phrase was included without our knowledge via a wireless function that allows user-generated catchphrases to spread virally from one game to the next. This version is limited to 14 copies created for media review purposes only and is not available at retailers. We sincerely apologize for the incident and are working with media who received the game cards to return them to Nintendo immediately."

The evil Internet strikes again.

View the full article

I just love how they totally ignore the fact that the exact same thing can spread through the internet to everyone's AC:CF the exact same way. I received a new townsperson from someone who constantly calls me "Lover" and one that calls me "Jerk". I find it funny...but some people may not.

Anyway, that kind of thing is just something that happens with Animal Crossing. I just can't believe everyone is going this crazy about it. Not to mention that is a name commonly used in the black culture.

What I think is crap that people are actually reporting this all over the net. When I first read about it I was pissed because I knew it was not Nintendo that had programed that but it was one of the users that tought it would be cute to make a little animal say that. This is why I choose wisely on what I have my animal learn. I have no idea if an 8 yr old will be playing the game that may have gotten my animal.

I think Nintendo should have thought about this ahead of time though and just not allowed the animals to carry such info over to other games.

What I think is crap that people are actually reporting this all over the net. When I first read about it I was pissed because I knew it was not Nintendo that had programed that but it was one of the users that tought it would be cute to make a little animal say that. This is why I choose wisely on what I have my animal learn. I have no idea if an 8 yr old will be playing the game that may have gotten my animal.

I think Nintendo should have thought about this ahead of time though and just not allowed the animals to carry such info over to other games.

You can't stop it. There is no way to stop people from getting SOMETHING in that will upset others. I mean...you can still do A.ss or something of those along those lines. I mean people just get offended easily. If you look really close at the picture, the people managed to use the Nyea (Swiggly line above characters) to get it past the word check. Besides, people need to just relax a little more.

In the words of the immortal George Carlin

"Words don't hurt anybody, its the meaning the crazy ahole using them puts to them"

I can't agree more. But what I'm upset about is that this is getting so much publicity when it really is not even news. The animals learn from the players this was bound to happen. Like you said because of using the accent marks it got through Nintendo.

I remember this Leap Frog toy of a catapeller with little feet that have the alphabet on each of the feet A-Z.

And if you press A then S it sounds like it says butt. And there are a few other combinations that make it swear. But after this was discovered Leap Frog changed the programming so when you do those combinations A then S. As soon as you hit S the catapeller starts laughing and says that tickles then makes the sound for S.

I loved it but my wife hated it anytime I did it. Now I hate it after they made the correction. :)

I can't agree more. But what I'm upset about is that this is getting so much publicity when it really is not even news. The animals learn from the players this was bound to happen. Like you said because of using the accent marks it got through Nintendo.

I remember this Leap Frog toy of a catapeller with little feet that have the alphabet on each of the feet A-Z.

And if you press A then S it sounds like it says butt. And there are a few other combinations that make it swear. But after this was discovered Leap Frog changed the programming so when you do those combinations A then S. As soon as you hit S the catapeller starts laughing and says that tickles then makes the sound for S.

I loved it but my wife hated it anytime I did it. Now I hate it after they made the correction. :)

Face it...Currently in America we have a Media of Hate. The mass media only likes stories of hate and outrage. They could care less about the good stuff. In the same paper where the front page is huge letters about a catapeller who can say butt you will find on page 6 in a small paragraph a story about how a random guy saved 5 people from a burning building. You don't hear about that everywhere....

besides. last time I checked an butt was part of the anatomy, or can we not reference that anymore either? Man. Next thing you know they will get rid of something because it says HEAD...okay bad example. See what I mean about any word being bad based on meaning. I really can't believe the media hasn't jumped all over "HEADstart" as being just as bad as a catapeller that you can force to say butt...

Face it...Currently in America we have a Media of Hate. The mass media only likes stories of hate and outrage. They could care less about the good stuff.

Yeah, you see that all over the place.

Just take a look at your average gaming message board and you'll see at least 80% of posters being negative about, well about everything really.

I hate this, I hate that.... That's why for the most part try to steer clear of that stuff.

You might not agree with what you read or hear, but at some level it does affect you even if it's subconsciously. And before you know it the negativity becomes a part of your daily live.

Just like Thor said, even the news does this all the time. War this, terror that, deaths here, murders there. After a while it makes you look at the world with different eyes and you might as well become a part of the problem yourself eventually.

That's why you will more likely than not see me talking about the things I love instead of the things I hate. ;)

I made one of my animals say "dingleberry". Think the language filter will catch that one?

That word was another favorite of Carlin's: "Sounds kind of festive, doesn't it? Let's put one under the tree!"

LOL... I saw a tuck dingleberry the other day and it made me laugh.

You know how in the snow cars get those clumps of snow on the back of the tire wells. I always call those car poop but this truck that I saw the snow must have been hanging from a wire becuse it was swinging back and forth. So it was the first time I saw a car dingleberry.

Sorry thought I'd share :rolleyes: