Ugo To Buy 1up?

joerocks1981

Courtesy of Kotaku/Joystiq.

According to a report on Joystiq, the UGO Entertainment Network - and yes, they still exist - are in talks with Ziff Davis with an eye towards purchasing the 1UP network. These talks are in a "very advanced" stage.

The report claims that UGO plans to allow 1UP's websites (ie 1UP.com, Gamevideos) to operate independently, maintaining their own "separate entities with their own branding". Sadly for EGM fans, it's also claimed that UGO have no interest in Electronic Gaming Monthly, meaning that if this deal does take place, the end is nigh for the long-running magazine.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/12/10/exclusiv...-not-part-of-d/

• 3 weeks later...

The future really isn't looking hot for any form of print media right now and EGM is no exception. I really dread the end of the run for the magazine (seeing GFW magazine go was really sad) but, honestly, fewer people are reading the magazines now. The readership is for the most part migrating to online content which is sad because, as great as the websites are, I still enjoy reading a magazine. Same goes with the morning newspaper. I just wish more people felt the same way I do.

I disagree that print media is necessarily on the way out. Wired magazine is an example of a winning formula that should be applied to other magazines -- let the website have the "latest news" and put the less timely, in-depth, thought-provoking stuff into the magazine so the print version offers something worth reading over the website.

Any magazine that repeatedly says "read more about it on the website" is self-defeating. Eventually people skip the magazine altogether and go straight for the website.

I don't want EGM to die, but it deserves to.

• Retromags Curator

THe only problem with Wired is that a lot of the articles in the second half of the magazine are boring, and all of them are extremely long. A few months ago they wasted 8 pages on some skank who is famous for being famous on the internet and nothing else. 1 paragraph for that do-nothing tramp would have been enough; not 8 pages.

Damn my subscription does not run out until November 2014

I feel your pain. I think my subscription is good till 2012. Think they will issue a rebate or something if they can the whole thing. One would think they would have to...unless they just let the Mag go and declare bankrupcy. Then we won't get anything back.

I really miss the hay-day of print magazines. I have like 5 copies of Dragon Warrior for the NES because they kept giving them away free with subscription renewals. Now I can't even count on getting my subscription fulfilled.

I remember when Next Generation Lifecycle 2 or whatever it was called went out of business, I got a letter stating it was no longer being printed and that my subscription was automatically switched over to some "popular" magazine (can't remember if it was Mechanics or Science) since that is the only other magazine the publisher published at the time. Sucked.

I feel your pain. I think my subscription is good till 2012. Think they will issue a rebate or something if they can the whole thing. One would think they would have to...unless they just let the Mag go and declare bankrupcy. Then we won't get anything back.

I really miss the hay-day of print magazines. I have like 5 copies of Dragon Warrior for the NES because they kept giving them away free with subscription renewals. Now I can't even count on getting my subscription fulfilled.

I remember when Next Generation Lifecycle 2 or whatever it was called went out of business, I got a letter stating it was no longer being printed and that my subscription was automatically switched over to some "popular" magazine (can't remember if it was Mechanics or Science) since that is the only other magazine the publisher published at the time. Sucked.

The problem will be that here you are likley to, if you get a redirected subscription at all, get something like Power Rangers Monthly (PRM). Quite a different magazine then EGM.