Building A Pc

MBJ

I'm thinking of building a PC to replace my 5+ year old desktop. This would the the first time I've built a computer myself. I've done many different types of upgrades/replacements before (RAM, hard drives, video & expansion cards) so I feel comfortable enough to take the next step.

I don't really do much PC gaming but my wife is into The Sims in a big way and wants to make sure that we have a state of the art machine to run The Sims 3 when it releases in February. I do some video encoding so the extra power will be appreciated. My budget is in the $1300 to $1500 range. I'd like this PC to last me another 5-6 years and to be easily upgradeable.

Below is a list of components I've selected at Newegg. I'd love to hear any thoughts or recommendations that anyone has.

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Power Supply: Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply

MOBO: ASUS P6T Deluxe/OC Palm LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920

RAM: Crucial 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT3KIT25664BA1067

Video card: HIS Hightech H487F512P Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Optical drive: SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F

OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD

Other:

SABRENT CRW-UINB 68-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader w/ USB 2.0 Port supports SDHC/VISTA

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

(2x) Nippon Labs 18" (1.5 ft.) SATA II Cable with locking latch Model SATA-L0.5-R

Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 B2L-00047 Black USB Ergonomics Keyboard and Mouse

I guess I will try to help a little. I have a degree in computer engineering and have to build a computer for someone about every few months.

1) Try to stay away from Vista. You are much better going with XP right now. Espcially if you can get the XP setup for multicore processors. There are still way too many issues (in my humble opinion) with Vista to make it worth it. I have an unopened copy of vista I use as a paperweight.

2) You really can't go wrong with the Nvidia 8800GT graphics card. I still think it is the best graphics card for the price. I run a dual monitor setup (So I can watch a movie on one monitor while playing a game or something on the other monitor). and it does the work perfectly.

3) My computer is currently only runing a dual core processor and it will run the Sims3 just fine. Besides, with 6GB of RAM you should be fine.

I like your choice of motherboards, I have never had a problem with any of the ASUS boards I have bought over the years.

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound is the way to go on the processor compound as well. I don't know if you have done a processor replace but there are several things to remember.

1) Keep the thermal paste cool. I keep whatever extra I have in the fridge (wierds the wife out but it needs to be there).

2) Only put about a pea sized drop in the center (Not on the side with the components) you want to make sure that the fan piece that slaps down on it sticks and gives enough thermal paste to distribute the heat. If you turn the computer on and it works for about 30 seconds then goes off, it is probably an issue with the thermal paste.

Other then that, good luck, and enjoy :)

@Philly: The price of the parts as listed comes to about $1350 with about another $50 for shipping.

@Hidinger: Thanks for the advice. I suspected that the graphics card that I picked might be more powerful than I need. I picked it based on the most recent Best Video Cards For The Money: Dec '08 article at Tom's Hardware. Tom's review listed the 8800 GT as providing "good 1600x1200 performance in most games;1920x1200 in most titles with some lowered detail". I had selected the Radeon HD 4870 because Tom's suggested that it could provide good 1920x1200 performance (without lowering detail). I'll be using a 24" widescreen monitor at 1920x1200 resolution. Aside from the Sims 3 I'll likely be doing some HD video playback (downloads at first but I'll probably add a Blu-ray drive once the prices drop a bit more). If you think that the 8800 GT can handle those then I'll go with that and save some cash.

As for Vista/XP, I can get XP Pro 64 bit at Newegg for $140 ($40 more than the version of Vista I had picked out). I know that Vista vs. XP is a debate that is still raging in the IT world. I've been using Vista on my personal machines for about a year and a half and have grown to prefer it. XP is still a great OS but I've been perfectly happy with the experience I've had with Vista. Plus, my wife (who would also be using the computer quite a bit) has a strong preference for Vista and I don't relish the thought of debating the issue with her. Anyway, I appreciate the recommendation and I definitely understand that you have more experience with and knowledge about PCs than I do but I'll probably just stick with Vista.

Thanks for the advice on the thermal paste. I have never done anything with processors before and that was the part of the building procedure that I was most nervous about. I've read some guides online but your tips offer some details I hadn't heard before. Thanks again.

Finally, in your third point when you said that a dual core processor would run the Sims 3 just fine, were you suggesting that my selection for the quad core Core i7 920 was overkill? If that's the case then I'm well aware of that. I've been holding off on replacing my old NetBurst based system until the true successor to Conroe came along. Now that Nehalem is here, I'm ready to jump into the next generation. Plus, since I'll be using the new LGA 1366 socket on my MOBO, I should be able to upgrade the processor for another several years down the line. I know that I could save about $300 and get amazing performance by going with a Core 2 Duo E8500 or Core 2 Quad 6600 setup but I have been looking forward to Nehalem for quite some time and that's probably the one component I'm most excited about.

• Retromags Curator
@Philly: The price of the parts as listed comes to about $1350 with about another $50 for shipping.

See and thats why I am torn for this upcoming tax refund......I have built my last 4 computers......but its getting to the point where I can no longer build a computer for cheaper then I can purchase one from Bestbuy. Sure it gives me greater control, but I may just buy one this year....$600 seems to get you a Quad Core with 4-6GB of Memory and a 1TB drive

Yeah. I have had no problems what so ever with my 8800 GT. I think the review you are reffering to is a little harsh on the 8800GT. I don't know though. If you are worried about saving a little money you can't go wrong with the GT. I stand by my statement that the 8800GT is the most bang for the buck. But if you are wanting to keep it for another 5 years and have enough room in your price cap for the upgraded graphics card, then I say go for it. If you do get the Graphics card you were speaking about then you want to make sure you have the proper monitor to work with it. I have seen a lot of people with awesome graphics cards and monitors that can't even come close to the resolution the graphics card is trying to pump out.

I am not sure of your case setup but you want to make sure you have proper cooling with the setup you are looking to buy. I know the new Radeon's run a little hot. So you will want to make sure if you go that route that you have at least a front, back, and side fan.

I have noticed some slight drop in detail with the 8800 GT when I am running HD at full screen (wide) 1900 resolution. It isn't enough to really bother me, but I would be lieing if I said it wasn't there. So I guess if you have the extra money to spare try the Radeon out. I know there is a huge debate over ATI / Nvidia but I have heard good things from both of the cards the Radeon HD and the 8800 GT.

YES...a quadcore 2.7ghz processor is OVERKILL for Sims 3. Actually it is overkill for 90% of the games out there. Unless you plan on playing Age of Conan with everything full, you won't need that kind of work power. Actually most operating systems (Including Vista) still don't know how to properly use a quadcore. Most can barley get a good useage out of a dual core. Down the line though you will be much happier with the quadcore. I am jealous. I broke down and bought my dual core like 3 days before they announced the quad core.

Installing the processor really isn't as difficult as it sounds, although it can be scary as it is the easiest thing to mess up.

1) Make sure you have the proper side down when you put it into its socket on the mother board. There should be a little cutout on the processor so you can't put it in wrong (unless you force it really...really hard).

2) Put the thermal paste in the center (about a pea size)

3) Put the fan flush ontop of the procesor. You want to make sure the thermal paste does NOT squirt out the sides or come to the side of the processor. If this happens you could cause a lot of problems.

4) Make sure the fan is screwed (or tabbed) into place properly

5) Make sure the fan is powered up.

Your mother board should do the rest. I would suggest finding a motherboard bios update as soon as possible as that will help you get the most out of your hardware. If the Motherboard doesn't recognize something properly then it will never get used properly.

• Retromags Curator

So you got me thinking on how much it would cost me to get an upgrade.......thinking about doing the following......

Current Setup

• Intel Pentium® D Processor 820 2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, Socket 775, 2x1MB Cache, Dual Core

• Intel BOXD945PSNLK 945P P4/Pentium D/Celeron D 1066FSB LGA775 DDR2 ATX Motherboard w/Audio, Gigabit LAN, Serial ATA

• Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (4 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model

New Setup

• Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor

• GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L Core 2 Extreme P45 DDR2-1200 A&GbE ATX DES Motherboard

• CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

The new setup will run me $327, minus whatever I can sell the current setup for on Ebay.

• Retromags Curator
I suspected that the graphics card that I picked might be more powerful than I need.

That's okay, because in a year or two you'll need that overkill power. Buying something that is sufficient now won't be sufficent in a few years. you'll have better luck being able to keep your graphics card for a few more years is you get more than you actually need at this moment. I have read nothing but good things about the Radeon HD 4850 X2 in Maximum PC and Computer Shopper magazines. If I were to get a new card and could afford more than a low-mid range card, it would be one of the new Radeon cards :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator

Right now I am running a Pentium 4 3.0ghz processor with a gigabyte board that supports 2 gigs of RAM max, which is how much i have in there. An upgrade would run me $500-$550 for either a Intel Core 2 Duo (Quad makes the price $550), a new motherboard, and 4 gigs of RAM, plus a new SATA DVD burner since all my components are IDE, and new boards on seem to have 1 IDE connector on the board, which would cover my hard drives only. I can get a whole computer for that much at the local shop. It won't be as good, but it has everything.

I feel the single core pinch of my computer when I am editing home videos the most, but i know new parts would speed everything up. But for the price of an upgrade, I could get a whole new machine. It's crazy. I am not sure it's worth upgrading my 3.5-year-old system.

Right now I am running a Pentium 4 3.0ghz processor with a gigabyte board that supports 2 gigs of RAM max, which is how much i have in there. An upgrade would run me $500-$550 for either a Intel Core 2 Duo (Quad makes the price $550), a new motherboard, and 4 gigs of RAM, plus a new SATA DVD burner since all my components are IDE, and new boards on seem to have 1 IDE connector on the board, which would cover my hard drives only. I can get a whole computer for that much at the local shop. It won't be as good, but it has everything.

I feel the single core pinch of my computer when I am editing home videos the most, but i know new parts would speed everything up. But for the price of an upgrade, I could get a whole new machine. It's crazy. I am not sure it's worth upgrading my 3.5-year-old system.

When upgrading a system that is too old, you are sometimes better just going with a whole new setup. Mainly because the motherboard will be your hold back (if you can make most of your old stuff, RAM, hard drive, power supply-which could be iffy anyhow work then you can save money just getting a new CPU and motherboard-but as you said it could be cheaper to buy a new one).

You could always do what I plan on finishing up (get a pallet of those out of service Dells, usually sets of 50+), throw either parallel linux or clusterknoppix on them and network them together and have 50+ 2.8 gig P4's working behind that video editing (of course the light bill will kill you).

Have you seen any new systems that look interesting yet? You could always save up and pick up an i7 intel (heard they are nice).

• Retromags Curator

I got this system just over three years ago, so to me it is not old enough to justify replacing it. It still works great, though more than one core would be helpful to speed up video editing.

This is the motherboard I have. It's a Socket LGA 775 board, and while the Pentium D, Pentium Dual-Core and Core 2 Duo are also LGA 775, as far as I know, I cannot drop any of these into this board. Is that correct. I know some stuff about computers, but not the fine technical details like compatibility of different CPUs with the same socket. Perhaps Mr. Computer Rapiar (Triverse) could let me know what else I can put in my board besides a Pentium 4.

My beast! Sorry if I am offtopic!

CASE - 905 Monceros

MOTHERBOARD - ASUS M2A VM

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 6000+

RAM - GSKILL 2x2GB 800mhz Blue Heatspreader

GPU - MSI N9800GTX (Factory OC)

TV Tuner - Compro T100 HDTV card

OS HDD - IDE / 250GB Seagate

HDD2 - IDE / 160GB Seagate

HDD3/4 - 2x SATA / 500GB WD

OPTICAL 1 - LG Blu-ray/HD-DVD Reader - DVD/CD Reader/Writer!

OPTICAL 2 - ASUS DVD/CD Reader/Writer

MEMCARD - Generic Mem-card Reader/Writer

MONITOR - BenQ V2400W 24Inch Widescreen

KB/MOUSE - Logitech G15 & Logitech G9

WEBCAM/MIC - $2 shop ones

CONTROLLERS - 2 x Dual Shock 2 via 2x Playstation - USB converters

SPEAKERS - So bad I ain't gonna name them

PRINTER - Canon MP180

This is what can be built in a year and a half with a $100AUS per week savings

New CPU and Motherboard to come July '09!

I got this system just over three years ago, so to me it is not old enough to justify replacing it. It still works great, though more than one core would be helpful to speed up video editing.

This is the motherboard I have. It's a Socket LGA 775 board, and while the Pentium D, Pentium Dual-Core and Core 2 Duo are also LGA 775, as far as I know, I cannot drop any of these into this board. Is that correct. I know some stuff about computers, but not the fine technical details like compatibility of different CPUs with the same socket. Perhaps Mr. Computer Rapiar (Triverse) could let me know what else I can put in my board besides a Pentium 4.

Here are a couple of processors that will work in your current motherboard:

Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail $84 with free shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819116072

and

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail $190 with free shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115055

What is your price range on everything? I can help you get something within budget.

I normally work with fixing up older hardware (these newer processors and stuff are not something I deal with on a daily basis). I love getting people asking me if they can upgrade from their current computer (running Windows 98 on a Pentium 200 with 64 megs of ram or so) to Vista as cheaply as possible (ummmm, just plain wrong, that is).

Also, for you need of more IDE connectors just get a cable with more connectors on it, here is a link to an ebay listing with free shipping for one with two connectors on it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/24-inch-Dual-Drive-IDE...%3A2%7C294%3A50