Video Game Controller History

Phillyman

I love how they shrunk down the size of the original xbox controller and it still makes the hands look tiny. What were they thinking. Seriously...That thing was mammoth. Yes, I mean the original xbox controller.

One would have to have hands like Shaq to hold the Original Xbox controller and be able to use it properly.

It's a nice start, and I like the straightforward graphics.

In addition to the previously mentioned Xbox controller, these should be included: Sega Light Phaser for SMS, SMS controllers with and without "screw-on" joystick nub, SMS Action Joystick, first non-analog PS1 controller, PS1 analog non-rumble controller, steering wheels for multiple systems, the 2 types of Atari 7800 controllers (joystick and pad), Atari 5200 rollerball, Colecovision rollerball, Dreamcast maracas, Dreamcast light gun, and DDR pads for various systems. I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting.

The Microvision and Nomad are missing from the handheld list.

Technically, a computer keyboard and mouse are separate controls. Early computers didn't use a mouse and relied on keyboard and/or other external controllers like joysticks. The mouse wasn't mainstreamed until 1984 with the first Mac. The Amiga and Atari ST followed, and the mouse was added to older systems like the C-64 and Apple II. It still took many years for the mouse to become standard with PCs, and there is a long history of computer games that could be played without a mouse until Windows 95 became standard.

They have 3 Xbox controllers on there but not a single Saturn one? Not that the US Saturn controller was any good mind, but the Japanese version is one of the best controllers ever for 2D games.

Oh and no Game & Watch either? Nor a Neo Geo Pocket? Click Stick for the win! Not to mention the original Neo Geo stick.

Handhelds is also missing the Turbo Express, anyone remember that little $300 portable?

I guess technically Game and Watch should make it on there since it was the forebearer of the Gameboy.

Not to mention I think the Virtual Boy controller should have a better angle. You totally can not tell that it requires like 30 AA batteries UNDER the controller to make it work.

• 3 weeks later...
Well since they included the guitar yeah I'd say the U-Force would be there as with the Power Glove even though both were total crap.

Oh wait I mean "So Bad!"

I think what you mean is that the power glove was total crap in the hands of us mere mortals but "so bad" in the hands of Lucas, may his awesomeness rein forever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...