Hardest Part Of Any Mario Game

Hidinger

What was the hardest part of any Mario branded game that you have played?

For me it is without a doubt the Yoshi Races in Mario RPG. I don't know if it requires a hand with only 4 fingers or what, but it was just insane hard to beat all of those races. The first one was easy, but the difficulty ramped up faster then....well, it ramped up really fast.

What about everyone else?

Butter Bridge in Super Mario World was a huge pain. As was part of the last fortress in the Valley of Bowser. But I think the hardest for me was Awesome on the Special Star Road in SMW.

Is awesome the one with the Balloons? It was a LOT easier if you got a blue yoshi and grabbed a shell...Once you figured out that you could spit the shell out then catch it on the way down that level became a piece of cake. It was rather difficult if you did it the balloon way....even if you knew the right path.

I would have to say upon further review that Awesome! might be almost if not tied with Yoshi Races.

• Retromags Curator

That one sounds like Tubular, the 2nd Special Star Road level. Awesome was the 4th level. Everything was ice; it wasn't so bad until you got to the ledges where the one invincibility star was and all the jumping fish. It was the timing and jumping required to hop from icy ledge to icy ledge that made it hard, especially when the ledges became quite small. And there were pipes hanging down from the sky preventing you from flying through the level.

• 2 weeks later...

I know the areas mentioned were tough, but as it's been a while since I've played 'em I don't recall if they're as tough as the 2 recent levels I went through in Galaxy. 2 purple coin missions, on the Dreadnaught and on the Luigi level. Those sucked hard as you got one try to collect 100 scattered and hidden coins and get to the star. Die and you restart.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm never too confident when I have to face a koopa king on SMB1

and I'm small. And if it is a hammer throwing one, oh boy...

And I think that there is a level inside the Forest World on Super

Mario World that I've never been able to beat without "blue yoshi

cheating".

I always loved the challenge of Star Road, ever since I found the Tubular stuff..

Super Mario Bros. 2 Japan(Lost Levels All-Stars) is a fun and challenging game. It seems that parts of that game are made to see how quickly you can make it through the level, things just flow so well at some points. Very good game, if you haven't played through it yet, give it a try. Definitely worth it once you get used to the different physics from Mario 1.

• 3 months later...

Tubular was pretty crazy, as was getting that second exit for Butter Bridge.

I managed to finish Lost Levels back in the day, but looking back now I don't know how I managed it.

I never got the hang of flying in SM64 - so for me, getting all the red coins in the desert stage of SM64 was a huge frustration.

Special mention also goes to that stage in world 8 of SM3 where you have all those bouncing musical blocks to negotiate, and a sun launching itself at you. Easy with the power wing (easier still with the cloud), but I sucked at it otherwise.