1up Sold...egm Officially Closing.

joerocks1981

Will this news mean any changes to the scanning of newer issues rules for EGM(Would be better to scan them earlier rather then later for preservation sakes)

1UP have also announced that they will make the Feb '08 issue as viewable in HI-res for FREE on the web-site

I would definitely be against such move, as it's one of the ground rules which keeps us on the good side of publishers.

Besides this rule giving the publishers and all the writers and editors enough breading room to actually sell their magazines without the fear that we might hurt them financially, it also sends a very clear signal that we will not harm them in any way, shape or form.

I can understand with the recent happenings concerning EGM that it might seem that it won't matter to them anymore if we scan their newer issues or not.

But on the other hand it might also be seen that we will change our rules whenever it might benefit our own needs, which I don't think is a good signal to send out.

Even going as far as letting other publishers see that we do have scans of recent issues up on the site might encourage them to take legal steps as they might think that we may possibly start scanning their new magazines as well.

In the end we are Retromags and that's what we will continue to be. ;)

I completely agree with meppi and believe that it is one of the best ways to stay afloat, at least not getting sued or any of those nice little cease and desist letters. Another thing to think about is the fact that you can contact any magazine publisher that is running a mag (or in the case of EGM, going out) and still order back issues up to 3 to 4 years back (if they don't have them they usually have a distributor that you can contact about it). So just because it is out of print doesn't mean that it isn't available still.

They will give you a refund. Just call 800-779-1174 and request a refund.

Did you allready call them? What did you have to tell them? Do I need a subscription number or how it was paid for? As long as they are offering a refund I might as well get something back from it. Just let me know what I need to have ready when I call so I can be prepared. Thanks.

I would definitely be against such move, as it's one of the ground rules which keeps us on the good side of publishers.

Besides this rule giving the publishers and all the writers and editors enough breading room to actually sell their magazines without the fear that we might hurt them financially, it also sends a very clear signal that we will not harm them in any way, shape or form.

I can understand with the recent happenings concerning EGM that it might seem that it won't matter to them anymore if we scan their newer issues or not.

But on the other hand it might also be seen that we will change our rules whenever it might benefit our own needs, which I don't think is a good signal to send out.

Even going as far as letting other publishers see that we do have scans of recent issues up on the site might encourage them to take legal steps as they might think that we may possibly start scanning their new magazines as well.

In the end we are Retromags and that's what we will continue to be. ;)

I completely agree with meppi and believe that it is one of the best ways to stay afloat, at least not getting sued or any of those nice little cease and desist letters. Another thing to think about is the fact that you can contact any magazine publisher that is running a mag (or in the case of EGM, going out) and still order back issues up to 3 to 4 years back (if they don't have them they usually have a distributor that you can contact about it). So just because it is out of print doesn't mean that it isn't available still.

All fair and good! It was just a curiosity question! But after seeing the reasons to be against it I can see both of your guys points on this!

I had not thought about it much before i posted my message! I might start scanning new issues though just so that when the time is right they can be uploaded in there original quality! (I will keep them here on my puter and will ONLY release them when they become within the rules of Retromags;))

Hey guys... just wondering what is left without EGM? I really want something in my mailbox every month but I've never been in love with GamePro or Game Informer. Is there anything else? HGM is only quarterly or I'd go back to it (and I don't want to subscribe just getting burned on it after EGM with HGM up on ebay)

Sigh. I likes my magazines on real paper that I can hold.

Hey guys... just wondering what is left without EGM? I really want something in my mailbox every month but I've never been in love with GamePro or Game Informer. Is there anything else? HGM is only quarterly or I'd go back to it (and I don't want to subscribe just getting burned on it after EGM with HGM up on ebay)

Sigh. I likes my magazines on real paper that I can hold.

As far as US published mags, you may be out of luck, considering your exemptions there. If you have a specialty book store like Barnes and Noble or something near you, you could look there for import mags from the UK, be forewarned though, they are about $12+ if you are in the USA.

As far as US published mags, you may be out of luck, considering your exemptions there. If you have a specialty book store like Barnes and Noble or something near you, you could look there for import mags from the UK, be forewarned though, they are about $12+ if you are in the USA.

I can't get enough of these UK gaming mags. I just discovered one called 360 Gamer at a different Barnes & Noble than I usually go to. Its published by a group called Uncooked Media. Its a pretty sweet 360 mag but yeh, it was about $10 bucks. What the hell is wrong with these US mags? All these mags in the UK give you free crap every month including books and DVDs and whatnot yet here in the US, they can't publish a 90 page rag with 70 pages of ADs and make a profit? Something is seriously wrong....

I can't get enough of these UK gaming mags. I just discovered one called 360 Gamer at a different Barnes & Noble than I usually go to. Its published by a group called Uncooked Media. Its a pretty sweet 360 mag but yeh, it was about $10 bucks. What the hell is wrong with these US mags? All these mags in the UK give you free crap every month including books and DVDs and whatnot yet here in the US, they can't publish a 90 page rag with 70 pages of ADs and make a profit? Something is seriously wrong....

A lot of it probably has to do with the area that the US mags have to blanket to get decent penetration to warrant decent costs on advertising, or to even get advertisers.