A Hello And A Question About Computer Magazines

Crookedmouth

Hello everyone, I'm obviously new here and I wanted to say this is such a valuable service that everyone is working on here. I didn't know about this site until a few days ago. I have always thought there should be a network to save the old mags before they are lost and here it is! Thank you!

In 1991 I lost two complete years of Electronic Games and Electronic Fun Magazines as well as a bunch of Commodore magazines in a fire. It's odd but I still feel that loss even today, so I understand the importance of saving these treasures.

I want to help and am working on finding a power supply for a scanner I have. I have 4 issues of Electronic Games from 1983, 1 issue of Electronic Fun also from 1983 and some Commodore mags. Not much I know but these are just a few mags I found.

I notice there are very few computer specific magazines. Are these kinds of magazines of interest to anyone?

I have some Commodore RUN magazines and one Commodore Power/Play.

I'm sure everyone here knows already but Computer Gaming World released their vintage magazines for download 1981-1992 archives. Just wanted to say, just in case.

Archive here

http://cgw.vintagegaming.org/galleries/ind...ub=2&id=500

and here

http://pdf.textfiles.com/zines/CGW/

I am attending college, have two kids and work a lot but I really do want to help and upload what I have.

Thanks again

Ok, first of all, welcome and I am sure everyone is a little happier for the kind words you have said.

Now, onto the heart attack inducing part of this... CGW DID WHAT!!?!??!?! OMG. Thank you so much for posting those links that is awesome!

As far as the computer mags, I am one that is interested in them, also, I know of some other members like scurti and waremonger that are interested in the older computer mags too.

Ok, first of all, welcome and I am sure everyone is a little happier for the kind words you have said.

Now, onto the heart attack inducing part of this... CGW DID WHAT!!?!??!?! OMG. Thank you so much for posting those links that is awesome!

As far as the computer mags, I am one that is interested in them, also, I know of some other members like scurti and waremonger that are interested in the older computer mags too.

Thanks for the welcome. I am glad that those links were useful. I really like the early CGW mag, especially through the 80's. I love that early game designers shared their insight regularly, programmers like Chris Crawford and Dan Bunten.

Heres a C64 mag archive in PDF format.

ZZap 64

http://www.atlantis-prophecy.org/mags/zzap64.php

Thanks for the welcome. I am glad that those links were useful. I really like the early CGW mag, especially through the 80's. I love that early game designers shared their insight regularly, programmers like Chris Crawford and Dan Bunten.

Heres a C64 mag archive in PDF format.

ZZap 64

http://www.atlantis-prophecy.org/mags/zzap64.php

Crookedmouth,

Welcome to the Retromags community and I hope you can contribute to this excellent achieve.

I have all this CGW pdf files from issue 1 to 100. This are awesome! And the best part of it is that the pdfs have links and you can copy and paste the texts.

I'm a CGW fan and I have a lot of this mags from the 90's. See may post at http://www.retromags.com/forums/Magazines-...Work-t3297.html

The ZZap 64 mags I downloaded too in a torrent file. This are amazing too. :)

Triverse,

I highly recommend this downloads... you should get them all! :D

Take care,

Sergio.

Crookedmouth,

Welcome to the Retromags community and I hope you can contribute to this excellent achieve.

I have all this CGW pdf files from issue 1 to 100. This are awesome! And the best part of it is that the pdfs have links and you can copy and paste the texts.

I'm a CGW fan and I have a lot of this mags from the 90's. See may post at http://www.retromags.com/forums/Magazines-...Work-t3297.html

The ZZap 64 mags I downloaded too in a torrent file. This are amazing too. :)

Triverse,

I highly recommend this downloads... you should get them all! :D

Take care,

Sergio.

I have gotten the first issue and have yet to look at it. I will take your word for it scurti and up this on my priorities list (downloading while I scan some VG&CE's for TresHombres).

Are the scans good quality?

A big welcome from me as well. :)

Computer magazines at this point are in a vast minority on the site.

But there are definitely people who would love to see more of the being put up.

The thing is, since there are only a few, not too many people come here looking for them.

But once the library grows to a sizable amount, it will no doubt set of a snowball effect just like it did with the other releases on the site.

A big welcome from me as well. :)

Computer magazines at this point are in a vast minority on the site.

But there are definitely people who would love to see more of the being put up.

The thing is, since there are only a few, not too many people come here looking for them.

But once the library grows to a sizable amount, it will no doubt set of a snowball effect just like it did with the other releases on the site.

Thats a good point, maybe as computer specific magazines start being available, more will come.

Either way I need to get my scanner working.

Thats a good point, maybe as computer specific magazines start being available, more will come.

Either way I need to get my scanner working.

I have a bunch of computer magazines, just no time to scan them (I am focusing on Gamefan myself right now mainly because there are no other members that have it).

• 4 months later...
Hey everyone again.

I got a working scanner finally and am working on learning the scanning process.

Hopefully I can scan and edit with quality.

Anyway finally I can contribute!

Very cool, if you have any questions, please, don't hesitate to ask, there are plenty of members that will be willing to help out.

Very cool, if you have any questions, please, don't hesitate to ask, there are plenty of members that will be willing to help out.

Thank you I will do that, I've got half of a magazine scanned now. I found the pinned "How-to" thread to cover most everything I was wondering about but I'm sure something will come up . I like that everyone here works as a team. I thought the scanning was going to take awhile but now I realize the editing is going to be the most time consuming.

Thanks again. :)

I'm a newbie here as well. While I might not scan much of anything, I'm more than happy to be a member of the community.

Just got the CGW 1-100 stuff, and I'm probably going to get the ZZap 64 stuff as well.

Has PC Gamer archived their old issues yet, or am I going to have to bug them some more? All I really want is the July 1997 Curse of Monkey Island cover story. The rest of the mags would be gravy.

BJ

I just upped a scanned edited and packaged of Electronic Games January 1984.

I hope it's clean enough. I edited it well I think and I think it's good for a first effort.

I messeged Phillyman with the link for his review.

I just found out from the shoutbox that he has 500 unread messeges!

Hope it passes so everyone can enjoy, Electronic Games January 1984.

Edited by Crookedmouth

If you don't mind, what is the link?  Maybe one of us other mods can get to it a little faster for you.  Philly is a good guy, he just get's so much going at once that he has trouble keeping up.

Sorry I didn't get this until last night.

I do have a few questions. :)

For the future releases should I just PM you?

If I can get Rapidshare to not kick me off in the middle of an upload, should I endeavor to use them for any reason?

Any other advice?

I will try to post more so I'm not a stranger, I've just been so busy with family, college, work.....so on. :)

Should I start a work in progress thread or something. I notice that some of my meager collection is owned by others and I don't want to duplicate or step on toes.

Thanks

I'm a newbie here as well. While I might not scan much of anything, I'm more than happy to be a member of the community.

Just got the CGW 1-100 stuff, and I'm probably going to get the ZZap 64 stuff as well.

Has PC Gamer archived their old issues yet, or am I going to have to bug them some more? All I really want is the July 1997 Curse of Monkey Island cover story. The rest of the mags would be gravy.

BJ

Hi BJWanlund,

For the Zzap 64 stuff I found that using Firefox and the DownThemAll plugin is the only way to go, if you haven't already done this. :)

Just set it to do it all and come back with every file downloaded.

CM

Great release there Crookedmouth, it was very high quality (believe me I have seen some of the greatest releases and recently had to go through and drop some that weren't really release worthy and yours so far are in the upper area of quality).

I will work out a guide for you for the upload section, including the necessary FTP information (I use Core FTP Lite personally) so that you won't have to use Megaupload or Rapidshare anymore.  I should have that to you later today (June 18th).  If I forget, just send me a message reminding me about it and I will get it to you as quickly as I can (I sometimes get busy and forget things easily).

As far as a work in progress post, that would be great.  Here is the forum area to post it in case you didn't know already:

http://www.retromags.com/forums/Magazine-Talk-f23.html

After you post it someone will get it added to the master list there.

As far as stepping on toes, I wouldn't really worry about that happening, everyone is pretty easy going here (wasn't always that way, we some members that would get their fruit in a bunch over the littlest thing).  The biggest thing to watch for is possibly two members doing the same release (this hasn't happened yet that I know of but it could in the future).  If you have a concern about a release, I would suggest either posting and asking about it or if you can determine who might be scanning it to you could just message them and ask if they are working on the same issue (I usualy check the download section for members that are working on a certain magazine recently for hints to who I might need to get in contact with just to be safe).

It would be great to have you post in the forums, it is awesome that you are willing and able to scan and edit releases too.  Participation in any form helps keep most of us going on.

If you have any questions just let me or someone else know either in a forum thread or a PM, whatever works for you.  :)