The Cover Project

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

Ok so I was browsing 4Chan, for those who dont know what it is.....dont get trapped :P

Anyways I am browsing the Videogame section and I see this picture....

1233788764801cf8.jpg

As I look closer I am like .....What the fuck! Are those custom GameBoy Advance cases??????

So I look it up online and find out about this place called The Cover Project

http://www.thecoverproject.net

I immediately gather up my Gameboy advance games and placed an order for 40 empty cases! I will be taking the photos from that awesome website to Kinkos to have professional inserts made......Ooooh I am soo happy :P

Now I am looking into custom cases for my Super Nintendo collection :Yahooo:

Wow... I guess you missed that post. Someone just about a month was just talking about that website.

Here are some of my GBA games

gba.jpg

I actually should buy some more cases so I can finish the rest of them. I should actually reprint all of the ones I currently have because of the high quality printer that we have now. I started doing this for all my Neo-Geo Pocket games as well but not from the covers on the cover project. I'm making them my self. Here is the picture of the closest one I have completed

example.jpg

But that project will be put on the back burner since I'm currently working on a classic strategy guide right now.

Hello,

I am one of the Admins from TCP and was grateful to Phillyman for extending an invitation over here. I'm hoping to find some good art for games that are near to impossible to find the original cases/boxes for. And of course, if anyone wants to scan covers or boxes for games not on the TCP site, I wouldn't complain. :P

But seriously, I think its a good thing for a site dedicated to VG magazine preservation and a site dedicated to VG box art preservation to join hands in pixelated brotherhood.

Lumberjack42

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, I have more games than that. Lol, just screwin' around.

Do the replacement cases actually hold the GBA carts, or are they just DS cases and you let the game flop around inside? Looks like a lot of paper and ink too but I gotta admit the result looks nice.

Ah, I have more games than that. Lol, just screwin' around.

Do the replacement cases actually hold the GBA carts, or are they just DS cases and you let the game flop around inside? Looks like a lot of paper and ink too but I gotta admit the result looks nice.

I assume that you don't own a DS so to answer the question there is a place for the GBA game to snap into place. All DS cases have this extra slot.

I assume that you don't own a DS so to answer the question there is a place for the GBA game to snap into place. All DS cases have this extra slot.

Actually I do. My bad. I don't really pay attention to the inside of the cases, I take the game out and keep them in a different case for travel. I just checked the site and found you have to trim the insides to fit all the other non-DS and non-GBA carts.

• Retromags Curator
Actually I do. My bad. I don't really pay attention to the inside of the cases, I take the game out and keep them in a different case for travel. I just checked the site and found you have to trim the insides to fit all the other non-DS and non-GBA carts.

It cost me $0.59 to print each cover at Kinkos......and Nintendo sent me the cases (10 for $7)

It cost me $0.59 to print each cover at Kinkos......and Nintendo sent me the cases (10 for $7)

Did the Kinko's people throw a fit over the copyrights? They usually do when I go in there to get things printed, that is why I am asking. That is a cheap price for something like that (much cheaper than doing it at home).

• Retromags Curator
Did the Kinko's people throw a fit over the copyrights? They usually do when I go in there to get things printed, that is why I am asking. That is a cheap price for something like that (much cheaper than doing it at home).

No but I had this convo with the girl

I hand the girl a CD with 43 images on it and ask for it to be printed out on 8x14 and in landscape mode

Girl - Just so you know, we charge a $0.50 opening fee for multiple files, I wont charge you this time

Me - Really, cant you just highlight all the files and right click and print?

Girl = Yea I am about to do that

Me - Oh thanks for letting me know

Me - How about if I submit them online?

Girl - I still need to open the files

Me - How about if I throw all the files into a PDF file?

Girl - That would work.

Me - "Thinking" ......I am soo never coming back here!

No but I had this convo with the girl

I hand the girl a CD with 43 images on it and ask for it to be printed out on 8x14 and in landscape mode

Girl - Just so you know, we charge a $0.50 opening fee for multiple files, I wont charge you this time

Me - Really, cant you just highlight all the files and right click and print?

Girl = Yea I am about to do that

Me - Oh thanks for letting me know

Me - How about if I submit them online?

Girl - I still need to open the files

Me - How about if I throw all the files into a PDF file?

Girl - That would work.

Me - "Thinking" ......I am soo never coming back here!

That is weird. Did you wink or something at her? I mean, here, they see that it is anything that could be copyrighted and start asking questions about it. The end result is usually the same though, no printing without a written release from say, Nintendo or whomever.

That is weird. Did you wink or something at her? I mean, here, they see that it is anything that could be copyrighted and start asking questions about it. The end result is usually the same though, no printing without a written release from say, Nintendo or whomever.

Same issues in my part of the world when trying to get something like a box cover printed at the local printing houses. I had to take my N64 cartridge in once just to prove I owned it and they grudgingly printed the cover off.

So I just bought a colour laser printer and presto ..... the problem was solved :rolleyes:

Same issues in my part of the world when trying to get something like a box cover printed at the local printing houses. I had to take my N64 cartridge in once just to prove I owned it and they grudgingly printed the cover off.

So I just bought a colour laser printer and presto ..... the problem was solved :rolleyes:

Yeah me too but like I said now that I have a photo-realistic printer I want to redo all the covers that I printed.

Yeah me too but like I said now that I have a photo-realistic printer I want to redo all the covers that I printed.

Not me. I intentionally make my repros grayscale and faded, yet still legible. I want my repros to look like repros. That way once I'm done collecting the CIB games I don't have yet, I can go back and collect CIB versions of the incomplete ones ;)

Obsessive / Compulsive. Yes, I know it.

Not me. I intentionally make my repros grayscale and faded, yet still legible. I want my repros to look like repros. That way once I'm done collecting the CIB games I don't have yet, I can go back and collect CIB versions of the incomplete ones ;)

Obsessive / Compulsive. Yes, I know it.

Those covers are nice but the boxes are hard to find sometimes. So what's the best paper then?

Those covers are nice but the boxes are hard to find sometimes. So what's the best paper then?

I use plain old photocopy paper in my colour laser printer as it's very cheap compared to inkjet printing. Others use glossy stock via inkjet printing at a higher unit cost but the results are very nice. Depends on budget and your ability to print at the end of the day.