Items That Should Be Addressed

Phillyman

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Retromags Curator
Holy sh!t at trivers recap! :lol:

Write another one up on the "yes we should give meppi's site a try" column btw. ;)

I dont see any harm in what you are doing, the wiki is great for gathering information....but the Html site is great for permanently displaying such information.

If it works, it works.......if it doesn't ....it doesn't.

If all else fails, we can give Meppi an "articles" folder on the Retromags website to write up some html reviews on magazines and such.

I dont see any harm in what you are doing, the wiki is great for gathering information....but the Html site is great for permanently displaying such information.

If it works, it works.......if it doesn't ....it doesn't.

If all else fails, we can give Meppi an "articles" folder on the Retromags website to write up some html reviews on magazines and such.

Thank you! That is good to know as it takes so much time to put it all together in a way that's just "perfect".

Just ask triverse about the hundreds of PMs we have exchanged on that subject alone. :)

He's been a invaluable resource when it comes to making the site what it is today. Just like with the thank you page for instance, every time I hit a wall where I just can't seem to think around no matter how hard I try he has brought something new to the table to get back on track and make it so much better than before.

• Retromags Curator

So how are we going to go about the wiki? Clean start? Fix what is there? What about a standard of how info should be displayed? A magweasel-type index on each page for easy navigation, or just "Next" and "Previous" links?

I think we should agree on some sort of common formatting before diving head on into this.

Thank you! That is good to know as it takes so much time to put it all together in a way that's just "perfect".

Just ask triverse about the hundreds of PMs we have exchanged on that subject alone. :)

He's been a invaluable resource when it comes to making the site what it is today. Just like with the thank you page for instance, every time I hit a wall where I just can't seem to think around no matter how hard I try he has brought something new to the table to get back on track and make it so much better than before.

WOW, I didn't know I was going to tear up like this, almost as bad as when I accepted my promotion to Super Mod, noticed not many attended that ceremony. <_< lol Thanks for the kind words meppi. I just want to help.

Oh and check the write up again. :)

Have I missed anything that needs to be on the list? Also, are there any items that are pretty much decided (I am looking at you number 1 there)?

also, just added:

I agree with E-Day there, we do need some kind of common formatting because this could get to be a mess all over again later if not.

The first thing to do is create templates if you want to start from scratch. Otherwise you'll have to copy&paste a whole bunch of code into every single entry.

Look at how I put the thing together and you'll see things like {{AtariAgeindex}} for instance.

Which is just one line that links to the index box template of that magazine.

it's a real time saver doing it that way.

The first thing to do is create templates if you want to start from scratch. Otherwise you'll have to copy&paste a whole bunch of code into every single entry.

Look at how I put the thing together and you'll see things like {{AtariAgeindex}} for instance.

Sorry for butting in here but we have a member asking about a faq, is the redo ready?

http://www.retromags.com/forums/Ok-Started...html#entry16374

• Retromags Curator

Editpad has a great search and replace feature, I just redid the PSMIndex

http://www.retromags.com/wiki/Template:PSMindex

EDIT:

Gamefan index now renamed also!

• Retromags Curator
Sega Visions section totally finished :)

Not quite. :P

some pages have the magazine index on them, and some don't. I think they all should.

I'd kind of layout the information differently than it is. Having two columns of headers and points makes it look jumbled. Maybe have the stuff under the headers use two columns, but have everything listed as though it was 1-column. Having two headers besides each other looks a bit cramped.

And I'd add a link to the download for each specific issue as well. One stop access, baby!

• Retromags Curator
Not quite. :P

some pages have the magazine index on them, and some don't. I think they all should.

I'd kind of layout the information differently than it is. Having two columns of headers and points makes it look jumbled. Maybe have the stuff under the headers use two columns, but have everything listed as though it was 1-column. Having two headers besides each other looks a bit cramped.

And I'd add a link to the download for each specific issue as well. One stop access, baby!

I was more or less talking about the renaming of the entries. Not too sure what to do with the columns.....it is a bit messy.....and it doesnt line up with the index at the bottom. Maybe we could just do the Magazine info in the middle.....and then have the other two items (contents and index) centered under that?

• Retromags Curator

I can play around a bit with one page to see if the wiki can even do what I described. Plus I want t oget familiar with how the page code in the wiki works :)

I think the very very first step is for everyone who has magazines in their possession to write down what they have, and send it to me. I will keep track of who has what, what's already up, and what is missing. That way when something comes up on eBay, we'll know what we need and what we don't. Phillyman, I know you have a bunch of Game Players and Game Informers, but no one knows which ones. I plan on making a chart for each magazine like I did for EGM.

• Retromags Curator
I can play around a bit with one page to see if the wiki can even do what I described. Plus I want t oget familiar with how the page code in the wiki works :)

I think the very very first step is for everyone who has magazines in their possession to write down what they have, and send it to me. I will keep track of who has what, what's already up, and what is missing. That way when something comes up on eBay, we'll know what we need and what we don't. Phillyman, I know you have a bunch of Game Players and Game Informers, but no one knows which ones. I plan on making a chart for each magazine like I did for EGM.

I will batch resize EVERYthing I have scanned covers for so far, the only thing missing from this will be about 50 Next Generation magazines that are at my desk at work.

Well since the NP section has already been reworked a while ago I've been putting time in to finishing that off. I doubt it but I hope to get most of it done next week since I have a week off from work (paid vaccation but it's more of a staycation on my couch). I know it wont all get done because I'm going to have to index all of the missing issues.

Personally... I don't think we need to put actual page numbers up for everything considering if the people actually have the magazine or the DL of the magazine they will already have access to the in mag index. That will just be quite a bit of extra work for us to do right now. Maybe down the line that can be done but again personally I don't see the point.

You can get what I have off the GamePro WIP pages. I believe everything after 1997 I also have even though I haven't entered them in that system.

• Retromags Curator
Personally... I don't think we need to put actual page numbers up for everything considering if the people actually have the magazine or the DL of the magazine they will already have access to the in mag index. That will just be quite a bit of extra work for us to do right now. Maybe down the line that can be done but again personally I don't see the point.

I wouldn't bother with page numbers either; just the actual content from the table of contents. Much like it is now, but laid out a bit neater.

You can get what I have off the GamePro WIP pages. I believe everything after 1997 I also have even though I haven't entered them in that system.

I'll leave whatever isn't on the WIP as in your hands as missing for now.If an auction comes up and it's passed up because the thing says we have it, and we don't, well...that would kind of suck :)

Sorry for butting in here but we have a member asking about a faq, is the redo ready?

I'm afraid it will be a while before the new one is completed.

Editpad has a great search and replace feature, I just redid the PSMIndex

http://www.retromags.com/wiki/Template:PSMindex

EDIT:

Gamefan index now renamed also!

Why didn't I think of that when I did all of those back then....

I think the very very first step is for everyone who has magazines in their possession to write down what they have, and send it to me.

That's an easy one, all of the UK magazines you see on this wiki page are mine: http://www.retromags.com/wiki/Acquired_Issues

The link to this page seemed to have been taken of the front page though, so better keep the link as there's a lot of data in there.

• Retromags Curator
Thanks for setting up those tables you have going there e-day, they are great (at first I was lost at looking at them but then it started coming to me).

The excel ones? I figured with many people owning many magazines, there was no real way yet to figure out who has what and what is missing. Now we'll know.

After looking at the wiki, a similar thing can be done with the indexes on there, as kbf suggested to me, but with BillyReseller seeming to watch us, perhaps that's not a great idea.

• Retromags Curator
The Uk ones are up to date though, I haven't bought a magazine in ages.

CVG is UK as well and NeoGeo Freak is also mine.

Care to take care of the UK magazines? I am completely unfamiliar with any UK magazine. Except when I read a Retro Gamer in a bookstore once.

The excel ones? I figured with many people owning many magazines, there was no real way yet to figure out who has what and what is missing. Now we'll know.

After looking at the wiki, a similar thing can be done with the indexes on there, as kbf suggested to me, but with BillyReseller seeming to watch us, perhaps that's not a great idea.

What about still having a table design (like the excel ones) but take out the part where we have it or need it. Just have it be like the wiki is now (or was, I haven't been since the renovation has commenced) and just have a table of every issue available whether we have it somewhere or not. The only distinction being, when you get the individual page, there will be a download link for the ones we have and there obviously won't be for the ones we need.

Either way, BMM can find out what we have available (there is no way around it, him and others like him can nail us on it), but we can make it troublesome for him to get that list rather than visiting one page per magazine series, make him have to visit each page and compare it to the auctions. Does that sound right?

• Retromags Curator
What about still having a table design (like the excel ones) but take out the part where we have it or need it. Just have it be like the wiki is now (or was, I haven't been since the renovation has commenced) and just have a table of every issue available whether we have it somewhere or not. The only distinction being, when you get the individual page, there will be a download link for the ones we have and there obviously won't be for the ones we need.

Either way, BMM can find out what we have available (there is no way around it, him and others like him can nail us on it), but we can make it troublesome for him to get that list rather than visiting one page per magazine series, make him have to visit each page and compare it to the auctions. Does that sound right?

I think that was the plan on the wiki. Sega Visions pages has that kind of table; if I understand you correctly.