MARIO KART W/WHEEL (WII) 292K

LEFT 4 DEAD (360) 243K

CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR* (360) 235K

SKATE 2 (360) 199K

GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* (WII) 155K

NEW SUPER MARIO BROS (DS) 135K

MARIO KART DS (DS )132K

LORD OF THE RINGS: CONQUEST (360) 113K

(*includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

---------------------

Dollar Sales figures

Jan-09		   Jan-08		 CHG   
Video Games	 $1.33 Billion  $1.18 Billion 13%   
VG Hardware	 $445.4 Million $380.3 Million 17%   
VG Software	 $676.6 Million $614.7 Million 10%   
VG Accessories  $209.8 Million $188.3 Million 11%

Dun dun dun........

PlayStation 2 101.2K

PlayStation 3 203.2K

PSP 172.3K

Xbox 360 309K

Wii 679.2K

Nintendo DS 510.8K

WII FIT (WII) 777K

WII PLAY W/ REMOTE (WII) 415K

MARIO KART W/WHEEL (WII) 292K

LEFT 4 DEAD (360) 243K

CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR* (360) 235K

SKATE 2 (360) 199K

GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* (WII) 155K

NEW SUPER MARIO BROS (DS) 135K

MARIO KART DS (DS )132K

LORD OF THE RINGS: CONQUEST (360) 113K

(*includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

---------------------

Dollar Sales figures

Jan-09		   Jan-08		 CHG   
Video Games	 $1.33 Billion  $1.18 Billion 13%   
VG Hardware	 $445.4 Million $380.3 Million 17%   
VG Software	 $676.6 Million $614.7 Million 10%   
VG Accessories  $209.8 Million $188.3 Million 11%

Wow...the PS3 didn't even get a game in the top ten. Now that I think of it. I am not sure what came out in January that was a "must have" title. I am guessing Video Games will have a nice month this month with Street Fighter IV.

Wow...the PS3 didn't even get a game in the top ten. Now that I think of it. I am not sure what came out in January that was a "must have" title. I am guessing Video Games will have a nice month this month with Street Fighter IV.

Sony is taking a bath on the sales of all of it's hardware it seems.

Then we have Resident Evil 5 :Yahooo: :Yahooo: :Yahooo: :Yahooo:

LOL I always have that problem... clicked on :Yahooo: once and it popped up several times. Oh well I guess I am that excited anyway.

I guess it is hard to stop the Wii...that thing has been a wrecking ball ever since it came out. Reminds me of the days back when the NES was out and people were like "Sega wha?"

Now if only Nintendo would focus on some really good games :P

Sadly the sales for the PS3 are so diluted due to most games coming out for the RedRingBox as well. I KNOW it will not help that the Box will be getting things that use to be exclusive to PS...for instance Tekken 6.

Even the above mentioned SFII is coming out for both systems.

Once the market settles down the PS3 will pick up. It does have the best games and hardware but people need the cheap option at the moment and that's Wii. Also a great unit. I still say 360 is only selling because they keep breaking.

I wonder if in say, 10 years there will end up being a internal memo from Microsoft leaked that is saying something similar to the sales going up if they release a shoddy designed system so people have to replace it.

I won't be surprised. M$ always finds some stupid shady tactic. Get people hooked early and then rape them later. Instead of moving to a better console the people still have all the games and foolishly buy another. I can't count how many stories I've read online about people who have gone through 3 or more consoles and they always fail out of warranty.

Once the market settles down the PS3 will pick up. It does have the best games and hardware but people need the cheap option at the moment and that's Wii. Also a great unit. I still say 360 is only selling because they keep breaking.

Hate to say this buy that pure denial.

Wouldn't the cheap option be the $199 Xbox 360?

And why would people buy a new 360 when it breaks when microsoft extended their replacement plan by was it 1 or 2 years?

Also people bought the PS2 in droves when it was released over here at 26.000 francs back before they dropped down to 18000, which comes to roughly 650€ and just 450€ respectively.

The PS3 launched at 600€ and is now down to 400€ with software bundled and it still isn't selling like it should.

There's clearly more going on than the market having to settle down.

People buying stuff just because it's cheap is rubbish, just look at the €90 Wii Fit, which is still doing unbelievable numbers for instance.

It seems that Nintendo has hit that sweet spot in the gamer's mind again (something they kind of missed with the N64 and Gamecube for whatever reason).

The thing seems to be having something for everyone, and I do mean everyone.

Which is somewhat of what the NES used to be like back in the day. Not to the exact same extend, but pretty similar.

The thing seems to be having something for everyone, and I do mean everyone.

Which is somewhat of what the NES used to be like back in the day. Not to the exact same extend, but pretty similar.

The NES was great because of the extent Nintendo was able to cover the board.I remember having a friend in school, his parents got him one of the NES system bundles that came with the exercise pad or whatever it was, because they wanted him to work out more. He gained weight but still, Nintendo probably earned more than a couple sales with various bundles. They had what 4 with the original NES? Mario/Duck Hunt, one with ROB, one with the Dance/exercise pad and another I thought.

Hate to say this buy that pure denial.

Wouldn't the cheap option be the $199 Xbox 360?

And why would people buy a new 360 when it breaks when microsoft extended their replacement plan by was it 1 or 2 years?

Also people bought the PS2 in droves when it was released over here at 26.000 francs back before they dropped down to 18000, which comes to roughly 650€ and just 450€ respectively.

The PS3 launched at 600€ and is now down to 400€ with software bundled and it still isn't selling like it should.

There's clearly more going on than the market having to settle down.

People buying stuff just because it's cheap is rubbish, just look at the €90 Wii Fit, which is still doing unbelievable numbers for instance.

Well there's that, but anyone who does their homework knows that $200 model is severely crippled and they'll be spending the extra $200 shortly thereafter to make it work. For $50 more they can get an entire Wii with a game. For the price of a complete 360 you can get a PS3. M$'s trick is to make the primary cost appear low, and then slowly suck the rest of the money from your pockets and hope you don't notice. The Live fees alone over the console's lifespan costs more than PS3 hardware.

Either it's out of warranty or they don't want to wait. Far more do this than you'd think. No it doesn't make sense but it's true.

The market is hurting everyone, so while people probably want a PS3 the $400 price is tough to swallow when they can have plenty of fun with Wii in the meantime. Or continue to enjoy the PS2, Sony still has that going for them and the millions who will upgrade when the time is right.

Well there's that, but anyone who does their homework knows that $200 model is severely crippled and they'll be spending the extra $200 shortly thereafter to make it work. For $50 more they can get an entire Wii with a game. For the price of a complete 360 you can get a PS3. M$'s trick is to make the primary cost appear low, and then slowly suck the rest of the money from your pockets and hope you don't notice. The Live fees alone over the console's lifespan costs more than PS3 hardware.

Either it's out of warranty or they don't want to wait. Far more do this than you'd think. No it doesn't make sense but it's true.

The market is hurting everyone, so while people probably want a PS3 the $400 price is tough to swallow when they can have plenty of fun with Wii in the meantime. Or continue to enjoy the PS2, Sony still has that going for them and the millions who will upgrade when the time is right.

As far as I see it, yeah, you are pretty much right about the pricing MS is using. I mean, they are doing it like the auto industry or PC sellers like Dell. I don't hate them for doing it, I mean, they are doing what they have to do to make sales (unfortunately, that includes a break prone system at the moment, any news on the newer 'Jasper' systems and their quality?). Right now it is easier to justify buying a base system for $200 and buying just the stuff you want later rather than buying a higher priced system and getting it all at once (of course, Blu Ray is nice, but you can live and play games without it, so are wireless controllers, but again, those are optional additions).

The Live fees are, well, there. The quality of the service and what is being offered is good isn't it?

Me personally, I am looking at getting a PS2 and some of the good games (God of War series, some of the Lego games and one of the Gran Turismo's, probably the newest since it is a Greatest Hits edition now for $20). I will probably get an Xbox 360 or PS3 someday, although the PS3 and linux is enticing to me, just not $500+ enticing.

People still think the PS3 is $500? It's more like $400 in stores, and $300 online (Dell.com has a 20% deal off all gaming and they've been doing this off and on for a month or two, I can get the code if you'd like). I paid the full 600 right as they were phasing out the 60's, but I wanted BC since I have a lot of PS2 games to go and didn't need too many consoles on one TV. However I do need the PS2 for the occasional round of GH1, 2, or 80's. I think it was worth it to get the best hardware setup. I really couldn't care less about BR, I never watch movies. I also don't use wireless controllers, prefer the wire when possible. At least they aren't $200 add-ons.

Yeah, PS2 is still going strong. So many excellent games, own well over 100 myself and beat all but maybe a dozen. I know it is stealing a little thunder from PS3 but if it's still making money why should Sony cut it? PS2 will phase itself out slowly and then PS3 will take over. No different than PS1.

Numbers can be fudged and show stats that aren't really true. 360 is artifically high due to replacements and Wii Play isn't bought for the game but for the Wiimote. Then the PSP probably isn't selling on software alone, but more for the capabilities created with homebrew. If Sony ever totally locked it down I'm sure sales would plummet. Sometimes you need to read into the numbers rather than take them at face value.

Numbers can be fudged and show stats that aren't really true. 360 is artifically high due to replacements and Wii Play isn't bought for the game but for the Wiimote. Then the PSP probably isn't selling on software alone, but more for the capabilities created with homebrew. If Sony ever totally locked it down I'm sure sales would plummet. Sometimes you need to read into the numbers rather than take them at face value.

A bit like these official Sony projections from not so long ago? :P

cnetchart495.jpg

Those are some fudged up numbers all-right. ;)

Bah. When are projections ever accurate? I've seen a handful of 'analysts' who thought the Wii would have fizzled by now. Shows what they know, nothing but a guess. And being from Sony the poor sap who drew that up would get fired if they didn't stretch Sony's guess a little extra.

They've both lost exclusives, everyone needs to go multi to earn money. Only first party stuff will stay that way, in which Sony easily beats M$ and Nin outdoes both. Sales don't matter, the game library does. Even though I collect games there are a number of systems that simply don't have anything I consider worth playing. The VB was cool. Gamegear had a handful. But Neo-Geo, N-gage, CD-I, the Master system, or either XB have nada.

The problem the PS3 has is that nobody has really tapped into its potential. On paper its more powerful than the 360 but so far nothing can be shown off to really prove that.

It also has kind of a weak online service.

However in a year or so when they get to grips with the system it should start to pull ahead and overtake the 360.

Sony need to shape up and start getting so quality exclusive titles on the shelevs (Killzone 2 helps) and people will sit up and take notice.