Spamming The Forum To Get 25 Posts

meppi

Lately we have seen an influx of people who sign up and post 25 replies in as many topics as quickly as possible so they can change their membership status from newbie to member.

Needless to say this is very annoying on several levels.

We could fix this in 2 ways.

Either in upping the requirements to get to member status by having a minimum of 100 posts again, but this would punish 99% of the genuine posters on here, so that is out of the question.

Or we will make sure that anyone found to be abusing the lenient system that is in place, will not be able to profit from these kinds of tactics.

Therefor, any member that is found to abuse the system and disrupt the active threads and discussions by bumping lots of old ones without any reason will automatically be demoted to newbie and those posts will be subtracted from their post count.

• Retromags Curator

I agree with Meppi, Spammers will not only have there post counts reset to zero but will also get a 45 day suspension from the forums. We put a ton of work into putting out quality releases, we expect our members to put some thought and effort into their posts. While on this subject......it would be nice if some of you guys could create some NEW topics on the forum......rather than just replying to existing topics.

Since I've just reached the 25 posts mark I can't help but notice

that this might be somewhat directed to me. If that is correct I'd

like the right to post an answer without fear of being banned (I've

told you guys before, I've just stepped into paradise and I don't

wanna leave).

Since I've just reached the 25 posts mark I can't help but notice

that this might be somewhat directed to me. If that is correct I'd

like the right to post an answer without fear of being banned (I've

told you guys before, I've just stepped into paradise and I don't

wanna leave).

No no, not at all.

It's directed towards the individuals who register and post spam into 25 topics in a matter of hours. Some don't even take that long.

And even then it's only when they add absolutely nothing to the conversation, besides getting their post count up.

Every single post you've made has included more then enough content to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you hadn't even thought about posting just to get a new tag.

So don't worry about all this.

It's only directed towards a very small minority.

Unfortunately it wont stop the kidz who dont have a PAYPAL account or access to Dad's credit card from spamming as they have no other method other than creating or replying to posts to get the required number to change their status.

I always thought the main problem with this site in regards to donations is the PAYPAL donate button is right at the bottom of the home page so its visibility is limited by the necessity for a visitor to scroll down the whole page. Maybe it would be more visible at the top of the page somewhere? Considering how long the homepage here gets at times ......

Just a thought though.

• Retromags Curator
Unfortunately it wont stop the kidz who dont have a PAYPAL account or access to Dad's credit card from spamming as they have no other method other than creating or replying to posts to get the required number to change their status.

I always thought the main problem with this site in regards to donations is the PAYPAL donate button is right at the bottom of the home page so its visibility is limited by the necessity for a visitor to scroll down the whole page. Maybe it would be more visible at the top of the page somewhere? Considering how long the homepage here gets at times ......

Just a thought though.

That Paypal donation button is meant to be a bit hard to find, because that is a straight up donate button.......we would rather people go through the forum's subscription manager.....so that they can be moved into the Premium Members group. Basically the button that you are referring to.....is only meant to be used by people who wish to donate....but don't want to take the time to create an account.

I know confusing. :P

• Retromags Curator
Oh ....

I just thought putting a Paypal donate type button beside the Downloads link on the top menu would highlight the option nicely. I didn't realise they were actually different things. Sorry .... my bad!!! :P

Either way the donations go to the same place, its just one moves people over automatically.....and requires you to register to allow you to donate.....while the other one doesnt

Sorry I've not been around much the last couple days but to just pop in for a few minutes I've been working on a web site for my buddy who is getting married and I've been crazy busy with that and with my brother site. But I thought I would just add that if it comes to keeping the post count at 25 I thing a manual upgrade on the account is the best idea that way the admin can look into the users posts to see if they are showing signs of being a genuine user. Otherwise if you need to bump it up to 45 or 100 posts then I think people like Ferneu should get the post count set at 100 or what ever we decide apon because it's obvious he/she is sticking around.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought though.

I still think thats a poor excuss. Doesn't stop my son from relentlessly bugging me to pay for his on line gaming. Another thought might be to limit the amount of posts for newbies per day. Speaking as one I don't mind waiting. As the saying goes.... All good things come to those who wait.

I still think thats a poor excuss. Doesn't stop my son from relentlessly bugging me to pay for his on line gaming. Another thought might be to limit the amount of posts for newbies per day. Speaking as one I don't mind waiting. As the saying goes.... All good things come to those who wait.

Of course it is a poor excuse.

Let's face it ..... anyone who takes from a site and doesn't contribute back to in any way other than posting to a forum now and again is an out and out user. You can try and sanitise that comment by saying they MAY speak to a friend who has a friend of a friend that can provide scans etc but it rarely if ever amounts to anything going by what I've seen on a couple of other sites I frequent. Expecting these types of people to cough up a donation to the site when they can just spam the forum to get what they want is unrealistic and Phillyman and Meppi are fighting a battle they can realistically never win trying to keep these people under control. Doesn't mean they should stop trying though. :rolleyes:

Personally, I think donations are a poor way to contribute to a site. Sure, the funds go to paying for bandwidth/ mag purchases or whatever so the donater may feel good with himself but truth be told most people don't use a donation from a site contibution viewpoint. They use it as a purchase option... in this case for 8GB's of magazine scans. It's almost 100% guaranteed that they dont own the original magazine therefore are probably committing a crime depending on the laws in your locale.

New people scanning magazines, covers for the wiki etc is far, far better for the long term growth of the site. How many people contribute magazine scans? 10? 20 max? Imagine what could be accomplished with 10 times that many sharing the load? Here's hoping we dont burn Phillyman or Meppi out with all those new donations. :blink:

Of course it is a poor excuse.

Let's face it ..... anyone who takes from a site and doesn't contribute back to in any way other than posting to a forum now and again is an out and out user. You can try and sanitise that comment by saying they MAY speak to a friend who has a friend of a friend that can provide scans etc but it rarely if ever amounts to anything going by what I've seen on a couple of other sites I frequent. Expecting these types of people to cough up a donation to the site when they can just spam the forum to get what they want is unrealistic and Phillyman and Meppi are fighting a battle they can realistically never win trying to keep these people under control. Doesn't mean they should stop trying though. :rolleyes:

Personally, I think donations are a poor way to contribute to a site. Sure, the funds go to paying for bandwidth/ mag purchases or whatever so the donater may feel good with himself but truth be told most people don't use a donation from a site contibution viewpoint. They use it as a purchase option... in this case for 8GB's of magazine scans. It's almost 100% guaranteed that they dont own the original magazine therefore are probably committing a crime depending on the laws in your locale.

New people scanning magazines, covers for the wiki etc is far, far better for the long term growth of the site. How many people contribute magazine scans? 10? 20 max? Imagine what could be accomplished with 10 times that many sharing the load? Here's hoping we dont burn Phillyman or Meppi out with all those new donations. :blink:

Oh I hear what you say. I used run a BBS (pre-internet) And seen the beginning of all the scammers. I was lucky though. Those of us that used the same program formed an association. If you got into trouble on one you got into trouble on all. The best we can do is play by the rules, makes some good friends and have a good time.

Oh I hear what you say. I used run a BBS (pre-internet) And seen the beginning of all the scammers. I was lucky though. Those of us that used the same program formed an association. If you got into trouble on one you got into trouble on all. The best we can do is play by the rules, makes some good friends and have a good time.

Ahh ... the good ol' BBS.

Hehe ... most people around here were probably only a twinkle in their Dads & Mums eyes when BBS's were all the rage in mid to late 80's.

Ahh ... the good ol' BBS.

Hehe ... most people around here were probably only a twinkle in their Dads & Mums eyes when BBS's were all the rage in mid to late 80's.

Hey I'm impressed you even know what I'm talking about. You say BBS now adays and they just stare back at you blankley. :blink: But then perhaps we shouldn't talk about it any more as it may have some reflection on ones age :P

Hey I'm impressed you even know what I'm talking about. You say BBS now adays and they just stare back at you blankley. :blink: But then perhaps we shouldn't talk about it any more as it may have some reflection on ones age :P

Hahaha ... there's a post here about who was born in the NES age. Anyone into BBS's was likely born in the Pre-Pong age. I certainly was. :P

I remember playing Pong, Atari's Anti-Aircraft, the mechanical shotting games and yep ...even the black and white Space Invaders with coloured cellophane across the monitors. Ahh the good old days ....

• 3 months later...

is that true? i didn't realise that it was illegal to download scans of a magazine you don't own :huh: . it doesn't seem logical though, as why would you need to download it if it were right in front of you (other than the reason phillyman states is the reason he started this site, to read 200 lbs worth of magazines on the go without carrying them)?

i don't own any of these magazines, but i am still downloading lots of these precious jewels. my favourite so far would be nintendo power because of all of the in depth strategy guides for games, as previews of games quickly become outdated (reviews aren't that important, other than just for nostalgia or looking for a good vc game or a game to emulate).

the reason i mention this is because i actually tried to buy nintendo power. i went on their website and went to the subscribe section, but unfortunately they are US and Canada only, so as a brit i am (nintendo) powerless. :lol: .

another thing, a bit off topic, but when exactly is the cut off date for magazines, as i can't remember where but i'm sure it said somewhere that you weren't interested in any magazines that weren't 5 years old. somewhere else i heard the mention of 2003, and then it was plastered all over the user agreement that it was 1999. so when is the cut off date? and when will it change?

(hope this doesn't count as spamming for posts :P )

Don't worry, spamming for posts is stuff like bumping 2 month old topics with a smiley or one word responses. Actually taking the time to discuss something relevant to the topic your posting in is fine, and preferred, although it doesn't happen all of the time.

As far as the cut-off, it is currently December 1999. No idea if we will move it or not, we had a couple of members get their panties in a wad over changing it from 5 years old and older, they whined till they were banned after attempting some unfriendly tactics here.

Will it ever be moved again? Probably. I mean, as things change and systems are accepted as retro, the magazines covering them may come to be included in the scope of the Retromags Project. It will be on the front page and an e-mail will probably go out to all registered members announcing it if it happens so make sure your e-mail account is correct.