Instead Of Buying Real Magazines,

WarriorWarrior

Would love to be able to donate Superplay aswell as the other Future mags, Commodore Format, Amiga Format, Your Sinclair but until I get an ok from the Publishers had better not rock the boat and break their wishes. You can still get some of the Future mags of the web if you google correctly though!

Currently just bought the whole run of Micro Adventurer which concentrated on 8bit adventure games (cost just over ?100 pounds off ebay $160 dollars). So they are work in progress aswell as The One for the Amiga and Mean Machines Sega and Nintendo Magazine System before it became The Official Nintedo mag.

If anyone has bought any of the dvd`s please comment on them as they do have loads of extras and the inlays (Phillyman will supply the bare bones mags only as agreed with me as the extras are not really relevant as they are tape images etc and make donating and getting a dvd more appealing). Roger Kean even donated extra stuff for the Crash and ZZap dvd`s himself (Md of Newsfield) as he was really happy to get all his old work back (lost loads of the old mags in the intervening 20 years).

Oh I selll around 2-3 disks a week, which are now around the ?10 mark each or $17 bucks, which with constantly trying to get the more obscure mags such as Micro Adventurer and Dragon User which are by default more expensive to get than your basic Nintendo mag.

I have Currently scanned in about 150,000 pages and taken 5 years to do it so its not a quick buck to get less than a paperboy for an evenings work and I always make the mags available for free when able to otherwise it would not be donationware and would not benefit anyone but me which I agree is wrong smile.gif

Anyhow the 18 dvds are currently Mid Atlantic going towards Pa and Phillyman so expect an update soon.

Regards Stephen wink.gif

Hello,

I have bought nearly every DVD that Mort has produced and am happy with every one of them. As he mentioned, each one comes with coverdisks/tapes, bonus magazines related to the main subject, and lots of other extras. To me it's worth the money to avoid having to track down all of it on the net, and it's an invaluable resource for someone like me who's both into old mags and into the computer games marketplace of the 80s and early 90s, before there were really any very good American mags covering it.

If you think the prices of the DVDs are exhorbitant, I invite you to try amassing a complete collection of any 20-year-old magazine, much less one devoted to video games, and come back to me again. I've done it for several obscure computer mags, and it is a major time and reasonably major money investment.

(Mort has also allowed me to use the covers of the magazines he's scanned for my website, if I ever actually get around to European mags. He's an extremely nice guy and any project like Retromags is well blessed with his support.)

If you think the prices of the DVDs are exhorbitant, I invite you to try amassing a complete collection of any 20-year-old magazine, much less one devoted to video games, and come back to me again.

Here's one: World of Spectrum FTP > login > magazines > download > play drums on the desk -- I now have Mort's The Games Machine scan collection :o

He's an extremely nice guy and any project like Retromags is well blessed with his support.)

Mort has proven that he IS actually a nice guy for donating the DVDs to this project's cause. I'm looking forward to seeing his scans being available to those with no luxury of having a large disposable income to throw at the wind.

PS. Do you have the Super Play collection that Mort scanned?

• 2 weeks later...
Here's one: World of Spectrum FTP > login > magazines > download > play drums on the desk -- I now have Mort's The Games Machine scan collection :o

You're really missing the point here.

PS. Do you have the Super Play collection that Mort scanned?

Yes, but you'll have to ask Mort if he minds if I upload them.

I don't see how I'm missing any points you've made. You asked if I could find a place to quickly download an entire magazine set and I did. The Games machine is only one complete set of magazines of several from world of spectrum.

keving, it's great that you have the superplay.

I thought Mort's concern with uploading the Nintendo were because of his own personal fears of breaking the law. I don't really see why he will stop you from doing it?

Upload to retromags and have those suckers preserved forever. Your own DVDs could get lost in a fire and hard drives die. Let retromags have them and you will have a place to get them from should such an unfortunate incident occur. Plus, Mort will get shiny kudos points for the scans without risking his online magazine disc-sale business and you'll get a nice medal for the uploading of them, and everybody's happy.

I give you a big thumbs up and a green light go ahead, kev.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't see how I'm missing any points you've made. You asked if I could find a place to quickly download an entire magazine set and I did. The Games machine is only one complete set of magazines of several from world of spectrum.

Actually, he didn't. He said it was difficult to amass a full collection of 20 year old magazines and I took that to meaning real physical magazines (which could then be scanned and shared/sold for your time and effort).

BTW: you cannot quickly download a full magazine set from WoS, as the FTP server has very definate limits to the amount and size of files you can download in a set time period.

keving, it's great that you have the superplay.

I thought Mort's concern with uploading the Nintendo were because of his own personal fears of breaking the law. I don't really see why he will stop you from doing it?

Again you're wrong. It was the magazine's owner and publisher asked him to remove the DVDs from sale after someone on a Nintendo forum announced they were available.

Upload to retromags and have those suckers preserved forever. Your own DVDs could get lost in a fire and hard drives die. Let retromags have them and you will have a place to get them from should such an unfortunate incident occur. Plus, Mort will get shiny kudos points for the scans without risking his online magazine disc-sale business and you'll get a nice medal for the uploading of them, and everybody's happy.

I give you a big thumbs up and a green light go ahead, kev.

It's nice to know that you give your permission for him to spread them and RG to host them - maybe Future Publishing will then hit RG with a cease and desist or maybe just sue them for hosting/spearing copyright material (which they still protect, hence the reason it was originally withdrawn from the market/internet), hell maybe Nintendo's rabid pack of lawyers will jump in as well for showing unauthorised images of Nintendo characters or some such rubbish. Never mind about anybody else's responsibilities and you've got your copy, so it's alright hey?

• 3 weeks later...

After quick observation I find those to be very smart-aleck replies, Gizmo, but I'm going to be the bigger man here and reply to them as politely and non-sarcastically as possible.

Yes I misread kevin's meaning by "amassing a collection of magazines" - I took it literally as in 'any' format; let that be paper or jpeg.

To be as frank as you are to me: You're wrong to suggest it's not possible to quickly download a full set of magazines from WOS; it is very possible and the example I gave is only around 15 issues long. I did manage to download all 15 in one day (WOS temporarily bans for a day when limits have been exceeded - a manual reconnection the next day is hardly hard work and effort, should WOS' download limits be stricter now than they were when I used it back then).

I do realise it was Future Publishing denying Mort the rights to sell, but the issue could be primarily that: To sell. Mort or Kevin's uploads here would be non-profit.

On the Nintendo guy: Some people don't know when to keep their mouth shut.

I'd like to know where I stated I had "given him permission" to upload them - I never claimed to be the owner of the scans. I gave him a reason to upload them, which would be to help preserve a piece of history and let people have a taste of it. "Hell", I don't know why anyone would want to deny everyone that opportunity; but it seems some people don't know when to keep the self-righteousness locked away and try to spoil it for everyone. It'd be nice if those people would stop talkin crap and think with a bit of sense and logic instead, for once.

Luckily, kevin turned out to be a forward thinker and have lots of sense and logic. Thanks to mine and kevin's FTP sharing, we have managed to expand our collections. Personal thanks go out to Kevin for the SuperPlay and others that Mort is no longer able to legally sell, especially. Great work on the collection, it was a pleasure to browse. I hope we stay in contact and help each other out in future.

It definitely pays off when we work together. Gets us nowhere when we fart around on forums arguing about ownership and copyright. Less mouth and more work, it's what will make Retromags flourish and mag-collectors mag-scan wealthy.

keep up the good work, all.

Regards (Future Publishing can kiss my (__)_)),

WarriorWarrior

PS. Retromags doesn't host the mags on the server.

• 1 month later...

Bringing back an ancient topic from the dead, and bad form perhaps since I only found this site today, but is there any further word on a Super Play torrent? I've scoured the 'net and can't find anyone who seems to have released the DVD elsewhere in torrent format, and as a UKdian and long-time SP fanboy I'd be willing to eternally seed something like this; I'd love for some of my retro-RPG-loving friends in America to be able to see this chunk of videogame history. In my mind, though maybe not so many people have heard of this mag due to it being a UK publication, it's one of THE greatest mags in history and definitely should be something for a retro preservation project like this to prioritise, almost moreso because it was a UK only publication because so many people missed out.

I have the SuperPlay issues now. Took me ages to find it but I eventually found a source :)! I'm not going to make a torrent out of it by the way. I've enough uploading going on already to maintain a decent seed. And there's the obvious legal reasons for making it publically available =\, in others' minds. However, If you would like FTP access for it I could be convinced to set you up an account should there be a good reason for me to go out of my way, so to speak. :D PM me and we can discuss it or continue to post here.

Damn, just have to say it's a fine collection, you know. 2.26GB in size, all 46 issues plus a golden issue and tons of extras. :)!

Super Play - Binder Picture.zip 55 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play - Booklets & Free Mags (EN).zip 15,450 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play - Contributer Letter & Free Gifts (EN).zip 97 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play - Covermounts & Posters (EN).zip 88,616 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play - Free Calenders (EN).zip 19,373 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play - Issue Spines (EN).zip 18,819 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play - Wil Overton's Cover Artwork.zip 3,753 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play & Total! DVD Cover (EN).zip 15,158 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 001 (November 1992) (EN).zip 46,205 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 002 (December 1992) (EN).zip 50,582 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 003 (January 1993) (EN).zip 57,240 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 004 (February 1993) (EN).zip 51,827 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 005 (March 1993) (EN).zip 47,499 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 006 (April 1993) (EN).zip 48,390 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 007 (May 1993) (EN).zip 50,401 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 008 (June 1993) (EN).zip 51,020 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 009 (July 1993) (EN).zip 52,955 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 010 (August 1993) (EN).zip 51,774 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 011 (September 1993) (EN).zip 51,923 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 012 (October 1993) (EN).zip 50,214 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 013 (November 1993) (EN).zip 54,286 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 014 (December 1993) (EN).zip 53,823 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 015 (January 1994) (EN).zip 51,998 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 016 (February 1994) (EN).zip 48,275 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 017 (March 1994) (EN).zip 49,447 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 018 (April 1994) (EN).zip 49,867 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 019 (May 1994) (EN).zip 48,819 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 020 (June 1994) (EN).zip 51,183 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 021 (July 1994) (EN).zip 51,158 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 022 (August 1994) (EN).zip 50,320 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 023 (September 1994) (EN).zip 47,673 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 024 (October 1994) (EN).zip 48,159 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 025 (November 1994) (EN).zip 47,711 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 026 (December 1994) (EN).zip 45,514 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 027 (January 1995) (EN).zip 49,020 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 028 (February 1995) (EN).zip 45,131 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 029 (March 1995) (EN).zip 44,858 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 030 (April 1995) (EN).zip 41,674 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 031 (May 1995) (EN).zip 41,179 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 032 (June 1995) (EN).zip 41,097 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 033 (July 1995) (EN).zip 40,833 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 034 (August 1995) (EN).zip 41,075 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 035 (September 1995) (EN).zip 38,965 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 036 (October 1995) (EN).zip 40,394 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 037 (November 1995) (EN).zip 38,751 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 038 (December 1995) (EN).zip 38,822 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 039 (January 1996) (EN).zip 38,649 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 040 (February 1996) (EN).zip 39,334 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 041 (March 1996) (EN).zip 40,172 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 042 (April 1996) (EN).zip 41,496 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 043 (May 1996) (EN).zip 41,090 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 044 (June 1996) (EN).zip 41,958 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 045 (July 1996) (EN).zip 40,605 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 046 (August 1996) (EN).zip 40,222 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play 047 (September 1996) (EN).zip 40,106 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Super Play Gold - Annual (1993) (EN).zip 39,591 KB WinRAR ZIP archive

Enough to make you water at the mouth, right? d:-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Time to review an old topic :P

In talks with Mort right now about any scans he would be willing for Retromags to host :)

Someone told me he was the one who made the Computer Gamer scans available on the World of Spectrum website.

So if you are contact with him can you ask if we can use the issues I am missing for this magazine. If we can it'll allow us to get a complete set up IF I continue with scanning all this stuff. That's a mighty big IF mind you at the present time ....