Any Interest In Ultra Game Players?

Zarxrax

I have the 13 final issues of Ultra Game Players magazine. For those who weren't familiar with it, this magazine threw in a bit of humor as well, so it was always an entertaining read. It ended its run (of over 100 issues) during the PS1/N64 era. Is there any interest in this magazine? I could send them to someone, or maybe even scan them at my school.

Edited by Zarxrax

I have the 13 final issues of Ultra Game Players magazine. For those who weren't familiar with it, this magazine threw in a bit of humor as well, so it was always an entertaining read. It ended its run (of over 100 issues) during the PS1/N64 era. Is there any interest in this magazine? I could send them to someone, or maybe even scan them at my school.

The main concern here would be what years are they? If you could find out what years they are that would help in knowing if they are eligible for upload here.

We are currently only accepting magazines and such from December 1999 or before.

• Retromags Curator
E-Day had a topic somewhere for people to get in touch with each other that either have issues but no time or scanner and for people with time and a scanner but no mags. I am trying to find it now.

You or meppi had those topics moved to the admin section because of concern of certain ebay sellers going after what we needed and then reselling them for a ridiculous price. Or something. In any case, you can always move the posts back to their original homes.

Oh yeah, it must have been meppi, I may have done it but I don't remember doing it. I thought those were the issues on ebay, not what members had available for scanning and needed help with (since those would be irrelevant to bid on ebay since we would have access to a copy).

I was thinking of all the time it must take to scan these things, and I'm thinking I would rather just give them to someone else to scan, if they are wanted.

Also I have 1 other magazine in my collection that's not already listed on this site. I don't know if anyone would want this kind of thing though. It's called Pojo's Pokemon News & Price Guide Monthly. I have "Vol 1 No. 2" from Dec 1999. It basically has a complete pictorial listing of every pokemon card released at that time (three sets), and it has articles about other random pokemon merchandise, pokemon stuff from Japan, a sneak peak at the first movie, and for some reason it has a handful of videogame reviews that are unrelated to pokemon: Soul Calibur and Sonic Adventure.

Here's a thought. Even if they did go beyond 99, they closed up shop and became PSM (more or less). Would that matter for your cutoff if the group doesn't exist anymore? I guess the same would ring true with EGM, who would argue about a defunct mag unless they had plans to revive it? Again it's all part of that 'get it now while it's cheap and common' idea.

Anyway I always liked the mag and have a large number of them myself (maybe #60 - #101). The humor made it worth reading in addition to the game coverage. I wish more mags were like that and cut out the movie news or cell phone gaming crap. So yeah if you got 'em I'd say get 'em scanned. I'm sure someday I'll look into DL'ing a few mags to read and besides a few early NP's this would be my next choice in line.

We have the cutoff in place out of respect for the publishers and the people that have put money and time and hard work into making the mags and also to help keep from being a part of the problem with the decline in sales of mags (if you could download it for free, are you honestly going to purchase it at the newstand for $5+?). The cutoff is not in place to make anyone mad or to hurt anyone in any indirect way. It is just to protect all of the hard work that has gone into making this site and keeping it going along with all of the hard work it takes to scan the mags and make them as good a release as possible.

If you have newer issues, then please, by all means, scan them while they are in as good condition as possible. The only thing, is right now, they are not eligible for release here (but the cutoff could change and if you have them scanned already, then you are ahead of the curve). I have a bunch of issues in various states of scanning that are not eligible for release yet (2000 and newer issues) but I am just saving them for when they can be released.

Just because a magazine is no longer in print does not mean that the owner of the rights to it is not either trying to make money from it from possibly selling it. Who wants to pay a lot of money for something-Gamefan is currently at about $625,000.00, for something that is available for free? Also, most magazine publishers offer some kind of back issue purchasing program (depends on a lot of factors as to how far back they offer this service for). In most cases, the copyright holders are going to be protective of their property, can you blame them? In some wild cases, like Ziff Davis did recently (not sure exactly when) with the release of the first 100 issues of Computer Gaming World (original post here on the forums about this: http://www.retromags.com/forums/Question-C...r-Ma-t3345.html, site linked in that post for the lazy: http://cgw.vintagegaming.org/galleries/ind...b=2&id=500). Not many publishers are willing to do that though, although since ZD owns EGM still, they may do it someday (it's demise may be too fresh in their memory, but they may be open to it since they are supposedly offering up the last issue of EGM for free in PDF format).