Any Of You Guys Ever Appeared In The Magazines?

Zarxrax

I've been published in both Nintendo Power and Ultra Game Players :lol:

NP volume 109, page 93, I sent in the first pic of the goldeneye art. LOL I was pretty disappointed because I had sent in 2 pics, and I thought my other pic was awesome, and the one they printed was more just a joke...

UGP No. 111 (final issue), I sent in the pic on the bottom of page 69.

Heh, it was always super exciting as a kid knowing that thousands of people could see something you contributed.

Well, yes I did actually.

Back when Paul Davies left CVG and the whole crew followed suit, the magazine changed so dramatically and I sent a letter in about it as well as asking if they would ever bring back the retrogaming cabin as it was sorely missed.

Ended up getting my letter posted (sort of) and made fun of by some nobody about how those old games were shitty anyway and all that jazz.

Well looked like I wasn't the only one discontent with the direction the magazine went as they lost the bulk of their readers and ended up going out of print a couple of years ago.

A good one actually happened in the 2007 Christmas edition of RetroGamer. The one with the beautiful NiGHTS cover.

Contributed all the scans for the Official Sega Saturn Magazine special in there and got credited for it as well as our site. :)

I was in Retro Gamer magazine in the UK for my website on Card Fighter Clash. I've got a scan of it up on my site here http://cardfighterproject.com/retroartical.jpg

But outside of that never in Nintendo Power or any other magazine.

But a funny little story... When I was working for Game Stop there was an artical that ran in Game Informer about a programer for Blizzard and they had his photograph posted. This guy looks exactly like, I mean exactly like me. Hair style/color, facial features, our facial hair, eye color. I even kept his picture in my wallet so I could show it to people to see if I could trick them but no one ever knew the difference. So they cut the picture out and posted it up at the Game Stop for the longest time. I was thinking about writing in to GI and send a photograph in of my self making the same expression on my face but I never got around to it and I kinda regret not doing it.

• 1 month later...
  • Retromags Curator

Nothing I've ever contributed to a magazine (letters and such) has gotten printed, but I have been called out by name in an editorial before. :)

The April '99 issue of PC Games magazine featured a column called NoEsc by Daniel Morris (on page 46 for those who have that issue). It was written about the phenomenon of Tomb Raider and specifically the fan fiction related to the game. At the time, I'd been writing fanfic for Tomb Raider for about two years, but to see my name in print with good things to say (and no forthcoming warning) was pretty darn awesome, I have to admit.

The archive houses 37 stories by dozens of authors—some bad, and some (one named Sarah Crisman springs to mind) quite good.

That made me quite happy. :)

This is the stuff of drama, and the ideas generated at places like the Tomb Raider Fan Fiction Archive should be registered loud and clear in the offices of Core Design. It’s not all about polygon smoothness and new animations. What we want is more mystery, more creativity, more character.

And hey, if the designers don’t feel up to the task, Sarah’s e-mail address is on the site. Drop her a line, and maybe Tomb Raider IV will have a bit more spirit to it.

THAT utterly floored me, and resulted in a virtual flood of e-mails from people who found the site, read my stuff, and asked if I was really writing the storyline for the fourth Tomb Raider game (which I was not).

Probably the single coolest thing that's ever happened to me in regards to the video game world that has appeared in print. :)

*huggles*

Areala

• 4 weeks later...

I wrote a letter to IGN in the early 2000's, asking what happened to GameFan magazine. He (I forget who) responded with a multi-sentence response. I even printed it out, but threw it away recently when I was having a bad spell LOL. I'm sure all of us are guilty of throwing stuff away and down the road, regretting it. :P

lol @ me forgetting the most obvious thing. I recently did the review of CyberMorph for the Jaguar in the Premier Issue of Classic Video Gamer Magazine! You all should check out the mag, it's off to a great start. :)

Edited by KevInCal

I wrote a letter to IGN in the early 2000's, asking what happened to GameFan magazine. He (I forget who) responded with a multi-sentence response. I even printed it out, but threw it away recently when I was having a bad spell LOL. I'm sure all of us are guilty of throwing stuff away and down the road, regretting it. :P

lol @ me forgetting the most obvious thing. I recently did the review of CyberMorph for the Jaguar in the Premier Issue of Classic Video Gamer Magazine! You all should check out the mag, it's off to a great start. :)

Sweet another Jag fan. People always look at me strange when they see my Jag hooked up to my TV.

• Retromags Curator
Sweet another Jag fan. People always look at me strange when they see my Jag hooked up to my TV.

I wish I could get funny looks for having a Jaguar hooked up to my TV...alas, no Jaguar, and no copy of Aliens vs. Predator to play on it. :(

Oh ya, I'm a big Jag fan / nut.. :lol: I'm a regular at the Jaguar section at Atari Age and also frequent Jaguar Sector, a site dedicated to all things Jag! It's one of the most missunderstood systems of all time... :(

I wish I could get funny looks for having a Jaguar hooked up to my TV...alas, no Jaguar, and no copy of Aliens vs. Predator to play on it. :(

Go to eBay! Buy one now! :P You may be the first woman to ever have owned a Jaguar! :lol:

But seriously, I bet less than.. 100 females WORLDWIDE have ever owned a Jag.. :D

• 1 month later...

No reason to apologize, I just meant my response to sound like one of those people that wrote rap lyrics and such were also so dedicated that they were involved here at RM. I didn't mean for it to come off as being upset or something (it was meant as an inside joke at Phillyman).

I personally never appeared in a gaming mag, but one of the things I like doing when I get a new old copy of Nintendo Power is to look through all of the high scores people sent in to see if any of my childhood friends are in there. Actually found a guy I knew in high school.

• Retromags Curator
I personally never appeared in a gaming mag, but one of the things I like doing when I get a new old copy of Nintendo Power is to look through all of the high scores people sent in to see if any of my childhood friends are in there. Actually found a guy I knew in high school.

What's even better is if you find somebody who you knew was part of the "cool" crowd, who was supposedly too cool for video games.

"Mega Man? Who has time for that when I play all these sports..."

Then you find out 20 years later that this same person had the sixth-highest score in the game in one issue or something like that. :)

*huggles*

Areala