Sign in to follow this  
E-Day

Web Slice

E-Day    697

IE8 has a great new feature called Web Slices, where users can add little snippets of a web site to the favorites bar and monitor their updates.

Once I get my computer up and running properly again, I am going to look at making a web slice for the "Recent Magazines Submitted" box. On top of getting back into doing other stuff for the site (wiki, scanning, etc).

♦meppi♦    47

Meh, it's dependent on the willingness of the site owner to create a web slice for users to use.

And it has to be placed inside the navigation bar of your browser, so an RSS feed would accomplish pretty much the same thing.

Safari on OS X has had Web Clips for a long time now and you can cut any part of a website yourself without having to wait for someone to create a web slice for people to use or not.

The web clips update in real time as well as the site changes.

E-Day    697

Yes, but at least the option for a Web Slice exists now. And unlike an RSS feed, your mail client won`t be flooded with all the changes. It may not be as versatile as Web Clips where you can make your own, but it is better than nothing :)