Game Prices Dropping

• Retromags Curator

Over the past few weeks, I have been keeping an eye on Slickdeals.net and CheapassGamer.com. I have picked up soo many games on the cheap.....

Banjoo Kazooie (360) = $20

Crackdown (360) =$13

Blue Dragon (360) = $13

Soul Calibur IV (360) = $20

All of these with Free Shipping

Waiting to see if I can get Street Fighter IV, Resident Evil 5, and MadWorld on the cheap

I think the gaming industry is hurting from this economy

If taking into account inflation, game prices have been dropping for years. I remember buying Gauntlet for the NES new for $64.95 and paying around $58 for Super Mario Brothers 3 on NES. On the other hand, I don't remember spending more than $49.95 or so for a PSOne game when they were new.

Over the past few weeks, I have been keeping an eye on Slickdeals.net and CheapassGamer.com. I have picked up soo many games on the cheap.....

Banjoo Kazooie (360) = $20

Crackdown (360) =$13

Blue Dragon (360) = $13

Soul Calibur IV (360) = $20

All of these with Free Shipping

Waiting to see if I can get Street Fighter IV, Resident Evil 5, and MadWorld on the cheap

I think the gaming industry is hurting from this economy

I'm not surprised. I know I haven't bought a game in a while, partly because of being busy working and partly because $50 is worth a lot more now than it used to be. I'm also actually going back and playing a lot of PC games I have but never got to fully experience because of the high requirements at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I think only the triple A games like a Halo or a God of War or a Street Fighter IV will be able to get away with a $60 price point for a long time. People are being much more selective with their purchases and looking to justify whether they'll get $60 worth of fun out of their games...

If taking into account inflation, game prices have been dropping for years. I remember buying Gauntlet for the NES new for $64.95 and paying around $58 for Super Mario Brothers 3 on NES. On the other hand, I don't remember spending more than $49.95 or so for a PSOne game when they were new.

Yep, I remember paying almost $75.00 for Doom64. Nintendo 64 games were not cheap.

• Retromags Curator
Yep, I remember paying almost $75.00 for Doom64. Nintendo 64 games were not cheap.

I so rarely paid full retail price for a game when I was younger that I couldn't tell you what the standards were, though I recall seeing some places selling Super Mario Bros. 3 for as much as $80. I mostly got my games used from secondhand stores like Funcoland. It wasn't until the PS1 came out that I was actually employed gainfully enough to be able to purchase my own games. The first PS1 title I picked up was "Final Fantasy Anthology", and I actually had that before I had the system. :)

Nowadays, it's still rare for me to dump the full $60 price on a game unless it's one I've been waiting for. So far this generation, I've made that allowance only for Mirror's Edge, Tomb Raider Underworld, and Dead Space. All three have been worth it; every other PS3 game in my collection has been purchased at the $40 and under level, to say nothing of the "DUH!" purchase price of $30 brand new for Sonic's Ultimate Sega Genesis Collection. My lord, that was a steal at like $0.50 per game on that disc. :)

*huggles*

Areala