More Drama At Midway

triverse

We all know that Midway is currently in bankruptcy right? If not you can catch up a little here.

Apparently, they are selling off the Mortal Kombat franchise like they did Wheelman (who Ubi Soft bought, info about the rumor here).

For info on the possible offloading of the MK franchise you can check out VG247.com's article here for more details about it.

But it doesn't stop there, the development team behind Mortal Kombat wants to get away from Midway now, among the problems listed are frustration with delays. Check out VG247's article.

Seems they are going the way of 3DO when they started selling off their franchises like Heroes of Might and Magic and other titles that made them what they were. After doing that, there isn't much left to do but lock the doors and turn the keys in to the super intendant of the buidling and go home.

I wonder what Ed Boon's thoughts on the MK subject are and what he's planning to do.

Haven't found any info on Ed Boon's opinion on this mess but there is apparently three companies eyeing Midway for a possible buyout:

A private invester (didn't one already step in and get involved?)

Ubi Soft (could you imagine, we could have Splinter Cell vs Mortal Kombat or something)

and

Warner Brothers (hmmm, they own DC comics don't they? Maybe they are planning on doing something similar to what WWE did with ECW-just consume the company as payment of debt owed).

http://kotaku.com/5201804/three-companies-...way-for-buy-out

Haven't found any info on Ed Boon's opinion on this mess but there is apparently three companies eyeing Midway for a possible buyout:

A private invester (didn't one already step in and get involved?)

Ubi Soft (could you imagine, we could have Splinter Cell vs Mortal Kombat or something)

and

Warner Brothers (hmmm, they own DC comics don't they? Maybe they are planning on doing something similar to what WWE did with ECW-just consume the company as payment of debt owed).

http://kotaku.com/5201804/three-companies-...way-for-buy-out

I guess this means that DLC for MK vs. DC is almost impossible at this point. By the time they straighten this mess out the new company will want to "show their stuff" and just make a second one. Kind of sad. Something about Superman pounding Shang Tsung into the ground made me laugh.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Midway may have just met big daddy Warner Bros. VG247.com has the article about the rumor.

Let's take a look at the implications if this goes through: Midway owns Mortal Kombat and released Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe recently. Warner Bros, at last check, owns DC Comics (as evidenced at the bottom of DC Universe they still do). Now if Warner Brothers owns Midway, we might be able to see some DLC content for MK vs DCU! Of course they would probably screw it up with DLC like Bugs Bunny or Elmer Fudd instead.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, Midway may have just met big daddy Warner Bros. VG247.com has the article about the rumor.

Let's take a look at the implications if this goes through: Midway owns Mortal Kombat and released Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe recently. Warner Bros, at last check, owns DC Comics (as evidenced at the bottom of DC Universe they still do). Now if Warner Brothers owns Midway, we might be able to see some DLC content for MK vs DCU! Of course they would probably screw it up with DLC like Bugs Bunny or Elmer Fudd instead.

You can NOT tell me with a straight face you would not like to see the matchup of Superman vs. Elmer Fudd....or even Sonya Blade vs. Bugs Bunny.

You can NOT tell me with a straight face you would not like to see the matchup of Superman vs. Elmer Fudd....or even Sonya Blade vs. Bugs Bunny.

I think it would be pretty funny watching Elmer Fudd pull off a Fatality. :) Or Bugs Bunny doing one like say, the death of a thousand carrots (stuffing them down his opponents mouth till they explode).

Didn't Ed Boon leave a whle ago? Or was that John Tobias?

Boon I know is no longer with the company, he left years ago, not sure exactly when though. Tobias, I think is still there but in a slight diminished role (not sure if it was a personal or professional choice).