Hd-dvd: Some Troublesome Glitches

MBJ

You early adopters may want to hold off on jumping into the HD-DVD ring. Here's some info on some problems that they are finding with the newly released hardware over at The Digital Bits while trying to review the initial releases:

"We'd planned to get our reviews of Serenity, The Last Samurai and The Phantom of the Opera up on Friday... then Saturday... then today. But it hasn't happened yet. It's certainly not for lack of trying or serious effort, believe me. It's because we've encountered some significant issues during the process. First of all, we continue to have a problem with movie software freezing for a few moments during playback, after which it continues playing but without audio, or with out-of-sync audio. It's happened on every movie disc we've tried now, at least once per film (and sometimes more often).

The other thing we've discovered is that the quality and character of the 1080i video that the Toshiba player delivers from its digital HDMI and component analog outputs is very different. The analog output features significantly enhanced color saturation and contrast levels over the HDMI, which SHOULD be more accurate. The difference is not minor, and we're trying to figure out exactly what it means and why it's happening. It's important to understand what's going on here, and which video output is correct (or more correct), so that we can accurately describe the video quality in our reviews.

Anyway, we're going to see what Toshiba says on both of these issues and get back to you on it, then try to finish those reviews. Well... no one ever said the transition to high-def was going to be easy, did they?"

Just a warning...

Hmmm I have an HD-DVD player and I haven't encountered any problems, yet. :P

I loove it!

Just out of curiosity, what are the make and model of your player? As far as I know there have only been two models released to the public by Toshiba. One is a higher end model and one is more basic.

Also, what software (movies) do you have? I know that there have only been a few titles released at this point in time.

Just out of curiosity, what are the make and model of your player? As far as I know there have only been two models released to the public by Toshiba. One is a higher end model and one is more basic.

Also, what software (movies) do you have? I know that there have only been a few titles released at this point in time.

Ok I'm pretty sure it's Samsung, but I'll take a look when I go home.

It's an HD-DVD player, and plays regular dvd's, with help of HDMI cables and whatnot. The picture is perfect.

Ok I'm pretty sure it's Samsung, but I'll take a look when I go home.

It's an HD-DVD player, and plays regular dvd's, with help of HDMI cables and whatnot. The picture is perfect.

If it's a Samsung then it's probably a standard DVD player that upconverts regular DVDs to "near HD quality". There are only two true HD-DVD players on the market right now: the Toshiba HD-A1 and the Toshiba HD-XA1.

If it's a Samsung then it's probably a standard DVD player that upconverts regular DVDs to "near HD quality". There are only two true HD-DVD players on the market right now: the Toshiba HD-A1 and the Toshiba HD-XA1.

Thanks for that info. :)

I guess I don't have true HD DVD player after all.