Movie Purchases!

meppi

Thought it might be a good idea to get an official post for these up as well as it might get us to look into certain movies that we might have missed.

I'll start off and I think I went a bit overboard this week.... :lol:

HNI_0046.jpg

And there's still stuff on the way. :)

• Like 1

The only movie I see there that I really have a gripe with is The Simpsons movie. That is only because after so many years there was absolutely no way it could have lived up to expectations. As it stands it just seems like you were watching a 4 part episode series all at once (which may be fine if you enjoy season DVD's and such-I don't really enjoy watching more than one or two episodes at a time before I change the channel).

That's what I was afraid of and why I waited before I found it on sale.

Only paid €12 for it instead of 28.

I just finished watching Nausicaa of the Valey of the Wind, and I must say that I'm usually not too crazy about anime. Probably because I've seen some lesser productions back in the day and always shied away from viewing more.

But lately I've been lowering my guard on just about every genre of movie out there, from drama's to romantic comedies.

Yes even those "chick flicks" :P thanks to the original Korean version of My Sassy Girl. Absolutely love that movie!

So besides Ghost in the Shell which I adore, and some old classics like Akira and Patlabor, I haven't seen too much anime.

I did buy both complete sets of Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex, which I'm planning to watch when I get the new TV and installation, so I'm certainly looking forward to that.

And I did enjoy Paprika quite a bit, as you might have seen from another pic (bought the bluray version after already owning the DVD), so I will probably check out Perfect Blue and Tokyo Godfathers as well in the near future as well as Spirited Away which looks incredible!

Back to Nausicaa.

Simply put, this was what I expect from anime movies, or should I say always wanted them to be.

A beautiful movie in every aspect. Highly recommended.

I can see what people were talking about when saying the creators of Panzer Dragoon were inspired by Nausicaa, but then again many go as far as to say the game copied the movie, which is just as ridiculous as it's ignorant.

Just found out this was made in 1984 which makes it even more incredible.

So far all of the Hayao Miyazaki films that I've seen have been outstanding. If you liked Nausicaä, then you'll probably like Spirited Away. Here's a list of all current Miyazaki films:

Howl's Moving Castle

Kiki's Delivery Service

Laputa: Castle in the Sky

My Neighbor Totoro

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

On Your Mark (music video short story)

Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea

Porco Rosso

Princess Mononoke

Spirited Away

The only two I haven't seen yet are Ponya and Porco Rosso.

My recent purchases (from the Circuit City close-out, local FYE closure sales) include:

The Astronaut Farmer (need to watch)

Stardust (need to watch)

Flags of Our Fathers

Letters from Iwo Jima

Indiana Jones Quadrology (need to watch Kingdom of the Crystal Skull)

Steamboy

Ghost in the Shell: Innocence

Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society

Tenchi in Tokyo Complete Series Slimpak

Hmm, I'm gonna have to look into those now. :)

Ghost in the Shell Innocence certainly is a very different film than the first one, which actually disappointed me because I wasn't expecting it to be so different.

I'll have to watch it again soon to give it a decent chance, but I'll wait for the bluray re-release.

Haven't bought Solid State Society yet as I believe it takes place after both SAC series, and it'll take a bit before I finish those.

• 4 weeks later...

Time to bump this one.

Just won this incredible collection on ebay:

HKL.jpg

Iron Fisted Monk - Special Collector's Edition (Sammo Hung)

Magnificent Butcher - Special Collector's Edition (Sammo Hung)

Eastern Condors - Special Collector's Edition (Sammo Hung)

Dragon From Russia - Special Collector's Edition

The Prodigal Son - Special Collector's Edition (Sammo Hung)

Tai Chi Boxer - Special Collector's Edition

In The Line Of Duty - Special Collector's Edition (Donnie Yen)

Iron Monkey - Special Collector's Edition (Donnie Yen)

Ninja In The Dragon's Den - Special Collector's Edition

Mr Vampire - Special Collector's Edition

The Avenging Fist - Special Collector's Edition (Sammo Hung)

2000AD - Special Collector's Edition

Flaming Brothers - Special Collector's Edition (Chow Yun Fat)

The Postman Fights Back - Special Collector's Edition (Chow Yun Fat)

Hong Kong 1941 - Special Collector's Edition (Chow Yun Fat)

The Black Sheep Affair - Special Collector's Edition

Naked Weapon - Platinum HK Edition (2 Disc Edition)

Naked Killer - Special Collector's Edition

Story Of Ricky (AKA Riki-Oh) - Special Collector's Edition

Body Weapon - Special Collector's Edition

Way Of The Dragon - Special Collector's Edition (Bruce Lee)

Fist Of Fury - Special Collector's Edition (Bruce Lee)

Game Of Death - Special Platinum Edition (Bruce Lee) (2 Disc Edition)

Game Of Death 2 - Special Collector's Edition (Bruce Lee)

Purple Storm - Special Collector's Edition

Magnificent Warriors - Special Collector's Edition (Michelle Yeoh)

Police Assassins - Special Collector's Edition (Michelle Yeoh, Cynthia Rothrock)

Red Wolf - Special Platinum Edition (2 Disc Edition)

I hate Ghost in the Shell. But damn dude! That's a lot of money spend on BluRay do you have a place that you can get them cheap?

So far I've only bought like 4 BluRays. James Bond Vol1 and 2, Prince Caspian, and Quantum of Solace. I also got That Will Smith movie that took place in NY that was kind of like a zombie movie but the name escapes me. It cam free with my PS3. (No box though.)

I hate Ghost in the Shell. But damn dude! That's a lot of money spend on BluRay do you have a place that you can get them cheap?

So far I've only bought like 4 BluRays. James Bond Vol1 and 2, Prince Caspian, and Quantum of Solace. I also got That Will Smith movie that took place in NY that was kind of like a zombie movie but the name escapes me. It cam free with my PS3. (No box though.)

I Am Legend is the Will Smith movie your thinking of Thor.

Not really. Bluray movies cost between 25-30€ in the regular shops over here, but on the web shops like thehut.com and blahdvd they do promotions all the time like 2 bluray's for 18£ and such.

Those are selected titles off course but still.

Something like Chunking Express which is one of my favourite movies ever cost around €18 I think, but for something like that its certainly worth it to me. :)

I Am Legend is the Will Smith movie your thinking of Thor.

That's the one and by the way I love that movie.

Not really. Bluray movies cost between 25-30€ in the regular shops over here, but on the web shops like thehut.com and blahdvd they do promotions all the time like 2 bluray's for 18£ and such.

Those are selected titles off course but still.

Something like Chunking Express which is one of my favourite movies ever cost around €18 I think, but for something like that its certainly worth it to me. :)

Yeah that's basically what it is here $25-30. That for me though I think is too much to pay for a movie unless it's really good. Like my Bond flicks. I just love Bond movies.

That's the one and by the way I love that movie.

Yeah that's basically what it is here $25-30. That for me though I think is too much to pay for a movie unless it's really good. Like my Bond flicks. I just love Bond movies.

I love I Am Legend too, trying to find a copy of the book for cheap (everywhere local that has it wants close to $10 for a paperback or are sold out). Of course, after paying shipping I guess it is just as cheap either way (most on ebay go for about $5 with $3 shipping or more).

Have you watched the alternate ending to it yet?

Meppi, have you heard about the sequel to one of your thorns in your side movies? The Grudge 3!!!! WHYYYYY!!!!

Hmm I'm gonna have to check out I am Legend now. From others I've heard it was so-so, so I never bought it.

But I'll get it sooner or later.

Sadly yes, I've heard about the American direct to DVD The Grudge 3. But seeing as how after watching the first US version I couldn't bring myself to watch the 2nd one even though I bought them at the same time, I have no interest in seeing a 3rd one like this.

Not having Takashi Shimizu as the director seals the deal.

I'm probably biased since unlike the Ring movies, I've seen the 4 Japanese Ju-On movies before I ever saw the US remake.

I love those ones to bits, even though Ju-On The Curse 2 was basically just half a movie with the other half being a revisiting of the first one.

Can't describe how much I hated the Buffyfied one. :(

It just wasn't right. But I've gotten used to the fact that the bulk of US remakes of asian movies are made to simply cash in on their overseas success.

Just look at Bankok Dangerous, A Tale of Two Sisters, The Eye, One Missed Call, well the list goes on.

On the other hand they can be done right, just look at The departed (Infernal Affairs) and The Ring 1. Although I still prefer the originals.

I Am Legend is pretty good, just go into it with an open mind and forget any Zombie flick you may have seen and just watch it for what it is. A lot of people don't like it because of the ending (the alternate is apparently closer to the book or something but I liked the one they left in).

• 4 weeks later...

I recently bought "Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog" , "Satanik", and "

I got a digi version of " Colossus: The Forbin Project' from a friend. umm... thats about it.

I went to go see "Up" at the theater with the wife, i am so glad we didnt take the kids to that. The movie was great, but a bit slow for kids. They can watch it when it comes out on DVD.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not a movie purchase, but I bought Battlestar Galactica Season 4.5 on dvd last night. Movies that I'm planning on buying when I find them cheap are:

The Watchmen

Gran Torino

Taken

3:10 to Yuma (this is probably cheap enough, but for some reason, I keep putting off buying it...)

I bought some movie's on DVD today.

Rushmore, the Wes Anderson comedy. This movie is so good and Bill Murray and Jason Schwartzman's performance's are brilliant.

Loud Quiet Loud, a film documentary of the band the Pixie's.

Taxi Driver, one of my favourite's. The music by Bernard Herrmann is so atmospheric.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got Hellboy on dvd. I've seen the movie a few time's, but never owned a copy. I don't know if the movie does justice to the comic as I haven't read any of them, but I really like this film. Plus it's got Selma Blair in it, which is reason enough for me to buy it. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Retromags Curator

Movie purchases...I've purchased several in the last few of months.

Flags of our Fathers, Letters from Iwo Jima, Passendale, The Simpsons Movie, Sleeping Beauty, Ice Age, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, Gladiator, Monsters vs Aliens, and a bunch of others.

All on Blu-ray. DVD is dead to me for movies.