Sign in to follow this  
Jukt

Seeds For The Big Torrent Release?

♦Jukt♦    0

Hey guys,

I know it's unlikely given how long it's been since it was created, but does anyone have the big torrent release from awhile back and is willing to seed it? After losing all the magazines I'd got from here in a hard drive malfunction, I've been looking to get them back, and that torrent would be the best way to go about it.

♦Thor♦    10

Yeah and I feel your pain. I did the same years ago and my HDD crashed and I lost it all. So I'm slowly downloading the issues again.

I like having everything accessable from a menu system on my PC's but I also keep at least 2 backups on DVD of the magazine releases I download. Redundant, yep. That is why I do it. Sure all media will fail some day but the odds of 3 forms failing at the same time, not likely.

♦meppi♦    47

Indeed the torrent idea was all great in theory back in the day when we tried it out, but in the end the you always end up with the same conclusion, no one keeps seeding.

No matter how good the intentions are even for the people who tried to keep the torrent alive for as long as possible, in the end they give up because 99% of the downloaders just grab the stuff and bail.

That's a lot of wasted time and bandwidth when you need to keep uploading over and over again.

As for backups, I do the same as Triverse. Make a backup of a backup. It's not 100% safe, but it's the best you can do.

♦Thor♦    10
I like having everything accessable from a menu system on my PC's but I also keep at least 2 backups on DVD of the magazine releases I download. Redundant, yep. That is why I do it. Sure all media will fail some day but the odds of 3 forms failing at the same time, not likely.

Yeah well I had it backed up on 2 HDD. My internal and my external and within a week both failed. That's what really upset me.

Yeah well I had it backed up on 2 HDD. My internal and my external and within a week both failed. That's what really upset me.

That really is bad. That is one of those things that you never think will happen. Of course, I have copies saved on DVD's that are put up. Hopefully, those won't fail all at once.

Indeed the torrent idea was all great in theory back in the day when we tried it out, but in the end the you always end up with the same conclusion, no one keeps seeding.

No matter how good the intentions are even for the people who tried to keep the torrent alive for as long as possible, in the end they give up because 99% of the downloaders just grab the stuff and bail.

That's a lot of wasted time and bandwidth when you need to keep uploading over and over again.

As for backups, I do the same as Triverse. Make a backup of a backup. It's not 100% safe, but it's the best you can do.

I know this is extreme, but I have most important things in 2 places at home and then I have a 1.5 TB USB drive at my parents' house. If your home ever burns to the ground, losing all data will definitely be upsetting. I used to back up things online using Mozy.com, but with crappy upload speeds and cheap HDD prices, what's the point anymore.