May In History: 1999 In Review

triverse

Due to the overwhelming amount of fun and interesting things happened in May 1999, 1994 and 1989 Retromags is doing a three part look at May in History. Without further ado, Retromags presents Part 1 of May in History:

What were you doing in May of 1999? Maybe working out plans for your version of the

Y2K scare (that never happened) or maybe you were one of the last graduating high school students of the 20th century? Maybe you were standing in line to view Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace in theaters or were you more into the comedy/action adventure The Mummy starring Brendan Fraser? Do you remember seeing the final episode of Tool Time? Or were you there for the start of a phenomenon when the world first heard that first annoying laugh from Spongebob Squarepants? Other shows of note ending this month in 1999 are on May 4 - NewsRadio (1995-1999), May 12 - The Nanny (1993-1999), May 24 - Mad About You (1992-1999), May 24 - Melrose Place (1992-1999). Microsoft releases Windows 98 Second Edition to the world and Bluetooth was first announced. Capcom unleashes Street Fighter Alpha 3 on PSOne and Dreamcast, Namco puts out the 4th installment in the Ridge Racer series with Ridge Racer Type 4 on PSOne, Nintendo rides high in May with Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 64 being the top selling game of the month and the release of Super Mario Bros. Deluxe on Gameboy Color. We, well Europeans, saw the release of Castlevania on the N64.

In music the Backstreet Boys released their album Millennium.

Sadly, we lost Owen Hart at the WWF Over the Edge Pay Per View.

On news stands or possibly in your mailbox you might have seen the following issues 10 years ago:

egmissue118may1999.jpgnpissue120.jpg

psextremev4i6may1999pg0hkb.jpg

EGM #118

here

Nintendo Power #120

here

PSExtreme Volume 4 Issue 6

here

Contributors to this section:

Links to the other two parts:

These files are in .CBR/.CBZ Format

You will need Comic Book Reader

installed on your computer to read this file.

Ah yes, I remember this month. For me, I highly anticipated SFA3 and how it would turn out on PS1 after salivating over the coverage EGM gave it (and revealing the old characters that would return........they had me fooled, thinking the game wasn't out yet when it had been out in Japan for MONTHS!). They went on to give it their GOTM, their second time doing so for SFA.........the first time was with the original SFA (PS1) on their February 1996 issue w/Batman Forever: The Arcade Game on the cover (my first subscription issue of EGM ever).

I also bought a copy of the 10th Anniversary issue of GamePro around this time a decade ago, with its golden cover and the original "Smash Bros" on the cover. It was an okay issue, and I'm glad to say that ten years later I still own it (although its cover has come off and I had to glue it on back often), after having tossed out the grand majority of my magazine collection years ago. I only kept the important issues (i.e limited edition, 10th Anniversary, 150th issue, 15th Anniversary) for certain magazines. Good month!