20 Biggest Controversial Gaming Events According To Gamepro

triverse

• Retromags Curator

Seems like they got all the important ones covered. It would have been nice to see mention in the Thrill Kill article though that the game basically was released with different artwork, music and FMVs as "Wu-Tang: Shaolin Style" which included all the same over-the-top-style blood, gore and fatalities that were what caused EA to kill "Thrill Kill" in the first place, but hey, nitpicking is nitpicking. :)

*huggles*

Areala

Most of the points they raise are pretty much accurate, except for one little thing - the number of bits the console has (the "Bit Wars", as AVGN put it) - despite what Kevin and AVGN says, actually does matter. The number of Bits on the console's processor determines how much memory the console can work with, in terms of running the game (and thus can effect the clock speed). (There's a lot more to it than that, but for the moment I'm just trying to boil things down to a paragraph worth of stuff).

Now, Bits alone don't make one great - you still have to develop for the system, and there are multitude of other things in the system that, even if you have a 64-bit system, can cause system bottlenecks that lower performance, but being able to use a lot of memory in the first place gives you a bit of head start over systems with a lower bit-rate.

I haven't read the article but I would have to say Sega releasing the Saturn before anyone was ready dooming that console and the Dreamcast after it.

Edit: Well it wasn't there. I thought that was pretty bad on Segas part, but I guess it was more of a mistake than controversy.

• Retromags Curator
I haven't read the article but I would have to say Sega releasing the Saturn before anyone was ready dooming that console and the Dreamcast after it.

People were amazingly ready for the Saturn; Sega had been hyping it for months prior to the release. What killed the Saturn was Sony's announcement that the Playstation would be priced $100 cheaper combined with the fact that it had arguably the weakest launch lineup of any system that generation outside of Japan and that its dual-CPU architecture made programming for it extremely difficult for third-party developers. It didn't help that Sega at the time was spouting such nonsense that 2D games were dead (when releasing a plethora of 2D fighters and platformers of their own) and that gamers weren't interested in RPGs (despite the fact that Final Fantasy VII became the best-selling RPG in history and guaranteed market dominance for Sony in 1997), and it also didn't help that they burned KB Toys with their early-release marketing stunt, which resulted in KB executives telling their store managers to not only ignore anything Sega sent them, but to actively remove anything Sega-related that was already in their stores to make room for Nintendo and Playstation-related items.

Sega is, sadly, a textbook-style example of what goes wrong when people who have no idea what they are doing are put into positions of authority. Someone should seriously write an in-depth look at what happened to Sega between 1992 and 1998...I'd totally buy such a book.

Maybe MIT will get around to Sega sooner or later with their new series that is looking at electronics. :)

• Retromags Curator
Now, Bits alone don't make one great - you still have to develop for the system, and there are multitude of other things in the system that, even if you have a 64-bit system, can cause system bottlenecks that lower performance, but being able to use a lot of memory in the first place gives you a bit of head start over systems with a lower bit-rate.

Heh...see "Atari Jaguar". ;)

I had the privilege to actually play a real version of Thrill Kill. My friend's Uncle had connections with the company. It was really odd to see it for the first time but it's so tame by today's standards.

I was glad to be part of the Nintedo Supremacy.

I don't agree with number one at all. I honestly don't believe that it was video game influenced in the least.

I had the privilege to actually play a real version of Thrill Kill. My friend's Uncle had connections with the company. It was really odd to see it for the first time but it's so tame by today's standards.

I was glad to be part of the Nintedo Supremacy.

I don't agree with number one at all. I honestly don't believe that it was video game influenced in the least.

Thrill Kill is alright, I mean, sure if it had been released when it was intended too it would have been a pretty controversial game but now, nah, not so much. It would be cool if someone license those old unreleased games and released them on the newer systems, say, with 10 or so of them on a disc (since most are incomplete it would be a rip-off to put one on a disc).

It was tragic, #1, but the media jumps at any connection it can make to whatever is the buzzword of the day (think back to when certain things were going on with Michael Jackson or the Priesthood, everytime someone came forward with a story, completely unrelated to either of those, the media brought one of them up).