Battletoads

Phillyman

scan0031.jpg

One of the hardest NES games. I still have never beaten it. Can't get past the "chase the rat" stage.

Once you figure out how to use the warp points in the game you can beat it in about an hour :P

I always hated the "falling down teathered to a wire stages. Sometimes it was all luck whether you died or not.

The game was quite Epic...and had Co-op. Something that was still pretty rare.

Still one of the best games of all time. I did enjoy some of the other Battle Toad games but the NES version and the arcade game were the best.

Battletoads and Double Dragon blew my mind as a kid.

Normally 1 + 1 = 2

Superman = Cool

Batman = Cool

Superman and Batman together = Ultra Cool

This is how life worked before BT and DD

Then it became

Battletoads = Cool

Double Dragon = Cool

Battletoads AND Double Dragon = Train wreck in slow motion.

Battletoads and Double Dragon blew my mind as a kid.

Normally 1 + 1 = 2

Superman = Cool

Batman = Cool

Superman and Batman together = Ultra Cool

This is how life worked before BT and DD

Then it became

Battletoads = Cool

Double Dragon = Cool

Battletoads AND Double Dragon = Train wreck in slow motion.

I enjoyed Battle Toads and Double Dragon on the NES but for some reason hated the SNES and Gen versions.

• 2 months later...
  • Retromags Curator

My brother and I rented this cart a lot as kids. We got very good at it, and at one point could even do the two-player vehicle-based stages without dying, which is something I doubt we could repeat today without a LOT of practice.

My favorite part of the game is actually at the end of the first stage, where you have to disable the walker by chucking boulders at its window, but the view for the battle is from the cockpit of the walker itself. THAT was flipping sweet. :)

*huggles*

Areala

• 1 year later...

My brother and I rented this cart a lot as kids. We got very good at it, and at one point could even do the two-player vehicle-based stages without dying, which is something I doubt we could repeat today without a LOT of practice.

My favorite part of the game is actually at the end of the first stage, where you have to disable the walker by chucking boulders at its window, but the view for the battle is from the cockpit of the walker itself. THAT was flipping sweet. :)

*huggles*

Areala

My cousins played this so much that they were eventually able to get through two-player as well. This game actually becomes harder with two players because of those stages and having to start over just because one of the two die. I've heard of difficulty scaling based on the number of players, but this is ridiculous.

That first stage boss fight was cool. Turtles in Time also had a very similar boss battle, but in that one you had to stun enemies and toss them towards the POV. Not sure which of Battletoads or Turtles in Time (arcade) came out first though.

Finally, for your viewing pleasure, here's the AVGN episode on this game. Warning, explicit language by the reviewer (for those who don't know AVGN).

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

2-player co-op is amazing. but, as Schloss said, the way you have to keep starting stages from the beginning when one person dies is freaking brutal. in one-player, this game is pretty damn tough. in two-player, it has to be pretty much impossible. SO unforgiving.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually finished this game back in the day. No warps, no cheats.

Completing Battletoads - along with Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden - is essentially my Al Bundy "four touchdowns in a single game" story. Personally satisfying but ultimately no one else gives a fig. ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Awesome game, I loved playing it! I didn't own it, but I used to play it in the toystore where they had a NES multi cartridge system where you could put money in the machine ( Fl. 1 approx. $0.50) and pick the NES game to play until you died! Battletoads was always a favorite pick of mine. I loved that enemies were being "smashed through the TV"! Glorious! Years later I still haven't made it past the race stage yet.

A few years (wait, 2008 isn't "a few" anymore...damn)... nearly a decade ago I played all NES/Famicom games and beat quite a few through the magic of emulator save states.

Battletoads is one of the only games, maybe even the only one game that I liked a lot to want to beat it and couldn't even do so with save states.

At least I think it is, is Battletoads the one with the rolling ball stage where the ball chases you around at unbelievable speeds?

• 2 weeks later...

Despite getting this game brand new when it was released and playing it regularly until then, the only time I ever finished it was with the Game Genie! WOW! This game was brutally unforgiving. They don't make them like this anymore!

• 1 month later...