Bionic Commando

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

Bionic Commando frustrated me to no end, because I just could NOT get the hang of using the bionic arm to swing around instead of having a Jump button. But then, one day, I picked up the game again and suddenly everything just clicked. I played it through to completion in one sitting then sat back and congratulated myself for having mastered what started off as such a freakishly annoying control scheme and powering through the game to kill Hitl...er, I mean uh...MASTER-D. :)

Man, Nintendo of American had some wonky censorship policies back in the day.

Bionic Commando frustrated me to no end, because I just could NOT get the hang of using the bionic arm to swing around instead of having a Jump button. But then, one day, I picked up the game again and suddenly everything just clicked. I played it through to completion in one sitting then sat back and congratulated myself for having mastered what started off as such a freakishly annoying control scheme and powering through the game to kill Hitl...er, I mean uh...MASTER-D. :)

Yeah, I've been going over it in my recaps of various magazines on my blog, and even I was suprised. For example, did you know in the Rocketeer movie game, they changed the bad guys to generic terrorists from the Nazis (who were the bad guys in the movie. They even changed the giant swastika on the dirigible on the last stage (and from the end of the movie) to some lightning bolts (which are specifically angled so to not be the SS logo either).

• Retromags Curator

Not exactly related to the NES classic, but for this week only, the PSN is offering Bionic Commando: Rearmed for 50% off the normal price. At $10 this game was a bargain; at $5, it's an absolute steal and I urge anybody who loved the original to pick up Rearmed. It's SUPER awesome. :)

• 3 months later...

O gawd yes I hated that, that you could not jump, HATED IT!! hehe

Bionic Commando frustrated me to no end, because I just could NOT get the hang of using the bionic arm to swing around instead of having a Jump button. But then, one day, I picked up the game again and suddenly everything just clicked.

That has happened to me with so many games, especially Sega ones.

You wouldn't believe how many people would try them and just can't handle them so they turn away and never come back.

It actually happened when I finally got my Saturn due to reading how Ed Lomas and the rest of the CVG crew were in love with NiGHTS, Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter Megamix etc.

Bought mine when they bundled 2 games with it and I got the shop owner to give me Sega Rally and just released Virtua Fighter Megamix instead of another year old game! :Yahooo:

Took it home and played it all night, but just couldn't get the hang of either games.

Couldn't do a basic one-two combo in VF Megamix and my Sega Rally racing style took on the form of a pinball machine in the way I kept on slamming my car from one side of the road into the other and back again.

Went to bed thinking how I might have thrown away a good chunk of money on a system with games that were not as good as I had read about.

Woke up in the morning and went back to try again.

For some unexplainable reason the games clicked with me that day and I fell in love with the Sega style of gaming.

To this day Sega Rally 1995 is still my favourite racing game of all time and the VF series is still my favourite 3D fighting series. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator

I really enjoy playing this game, and I've gotten the hang of the arm for the most part... I just wish there was a continue option!

There is, you just have to earn it. :)

Hit one of the trucks on the overhead map and blow away everything you find there until somebody drops a silver eagle-shaped object. Pick up the eagle, and you'll have earned yourself a continue, and I believe you can hold up to 9 of them, so feel free to grind them if you're having trouble in the later stages of the game. :)

*huggles*

Areala

There is, you just have to earn it. :)

Hit one of the trucks on the overhead map and blow away everything you find there until somebody drops a silver eagle-shaped object. Pick up the eagle, and you'll have earned yourself a continue, and I believe you can hold up to 9 of them, so feel free to grind them if you're having trouble in the later stages of the game. :)

*huggles*

Areala

Never seen this ad for the game before. I am more used to this one which came out for the 8bit range of computers ....

gallery_7080_34_42025.jpg