Mort

meppi

Not sure what to do with this...

He replied to my topic on meanmachinemags about my scans.

here's the conversation:

Mort

Diamond Geezer

Hi Guys,

Wow amazine work Meppi, I have been scanning in the mags aswell (will teach me not to check the forums more often) are there any missing pages or issues that are still needed ? If so I can help out also have all the Saturn Powers which will be scanned and passed on as usual.

By the way some person is flogging Meppi`s scans on Ebay aswell as all mine, no nice cover dvd case or any such items like on my semi official site but just a blank disk as I have spoken to a few of his disgruntled customers.

By the way the user is Laptopsuk, feel free to flame/report him, I have.

type in saturn magazine dvd or my zzap64 dvd and you should spot him grr

Yesterday, 06:17 PM

meppi

MEGA Poster

Hi Mort.

I must say that you were actually one of the people who inspired me to start scanning magazines.

We're talking about a couple of years ago here.

I think some were posted on a newsgroup or something or linked to a board I visited back then.

It made me thing about how much I loved the few Sega Saturn magazines that I had, as I started buying them too late in the Saturn's life cycle sadly enough.

But seeing as how hard it was to find scans of certain magazines online and also how you were cataloging various publications made me start looking to collect the complete set of OSSM as well as many other UK magazines over the past years.

The only thing I regret it that it takes so damn long to get a single issue released.

I know I am to blame since I want to present them as (hopefully) perfect duplicates of the original issues. So I'm never 100 happy with the job I do and tend to things that can be improved all the time.

But on the other hand I'm glad that I'm able to archive these magazines in the best way that I'm capable of.

I have the full set of OSSM here as well as already scanned and waiting to be edited, so I'm fine with those.

Same goes with many other publications. But the way thing are going (very slow ) will mean that I'll have more then enough work to keep me busy for the next decade or so.

It really sucks to see people trying to profit from something that was meant well.

Those pop up from time to time, and yes, I've reported the item links now as well.

Wonder if they will actually be taken down.

Yesterday, 08:39 PM

Mort

Diamond Geezer

Hi Meppi,

Just once again ,awesome work, Do you have all the previous Sega Magazines, I have the Dreamcast follow on if you need help.

Other than that I am working on the BBC Micro User Mag and some more Commodore Related mags. Also got a near complete collection of Megatech which may be done later.

Cheers and thanks again

Mort aka Stephen

Ps the guy must have been reported about 20 times now ,we wait to see if ebay do the decent thing

Today, 11:04 AM

meppi

MEGA Poster

Thank you.

All the magazines I have should be up here:

http://www.retromags.com/wiki/Acquired_Issues

The UK and Japanese ones on this page are all mine. The green ones are the ones I already have.

So I'm only missing issue 11 of the regular DC magazine. (Have the issue but it's in terrible shape so I can't scan it)

And a couple of Mean Machine Sega issues.

The problem with those though, is that they are quite a bit larger than my scanner so I need to scan the pages from 4 different sides and then put them back together, which lengthens the process even more.

Missing quite a lot of CVG issues from the Paul Davies times, which are my favourite ones, but I have someone who will be donating a lot of magazines soon, so hopefully those holes might be filled soon.

The problem that I have is that I'm wanting to redo all my OSSM scans from before issue 26 since I feel I can do a much better job right now.

Again the problem is all the time that goes into it.

Andy

Today, 11:36 AM

Mort

Diamond Geezer

Hi Meppi,

Had an idea, I have 3 a3 scanners so could scan in the Dc mags,and pass the uncompressed data or very little compressed data (however you would prefer to you to tart up).

Was planning on doing a dvd of Sega Power,Oss, and Dc mag so could send you the dvd for nothing (but would it be possible to use your oss scans on the disk ?) This would mean you could concentrate on Oss , I do the donkey work on scanning and everybodys a winner and of course the archive will have the images uploaded for free usage.

(keeps me afloat in the cruch with the price of scanners and baked beans!)

:-)

Not sure what to make of this as I'm not crazy on the idea of letting anyone sell my scans.

Then again I don't want to piss him off by saying no, since he's a great guy and has done a incredible amount of work trying to preserve magazines.

I'm really at a loss here... :unsure:

That's what I'm thinking as well.

But not only that, I don't even wish to make any money of this even if I could.

Not that I would see any penny of the sales if I read his offer correctly anyway.

I just don't like the whole idea.

• Retromags Curator
That's what I'm thinking as well.

But not only that, I don't even wish to make any money of this even if I could.

Not that I would see any penny of the sales if I read his offer correctly anyway.

I just don't like the whole idea.

Meppi they are your scans, its up to you how to proceed

Meppi they are your scans, its up to you how to proceed

Philly, is this the same Mort that you got me some scans from?

On topic, it would very negatively affect certain "connections" I have made over the years to have something like a DVD come out with something like "Endorsed by one of the owners of Retromags.com!" or something similar to it come up for sale.

One way you could get out of it is to politely mention that your first concern is the RM project and preserving magazines here first and foremost, that a DVD release for sale would undermine the project and cause irreperable harm to it in the long run.

Something like that.