Schools Consider No Zero Policy

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

Seriously this just makes me mad, what have we come to where we pamper kids and no longer give zeroes out. Sorry but in the real world if you do not do your job.....you will be fired. This "everyones a winner" attitude needs to stop, its not how the real world functions.

CHILLICOTHE, Ohio —The Chillicothe school board is considering a proposal to change the grading scale so that no student would receive a zero. The lowest grade would be 50 percent.

Assistant Superintendent Jon Saxton proposed the idea of a no-zero policy to get students to do their school work.

Chillicothe Board of Education and administration say not all students are aiming high and they want to change that by removing what they consider a harmful practice.

“We look at the practice of giving students zeros for work that’s not completed and it’s punitive, as it, it’s like an F to the sixth degree, because the grade that’s given for a zero is six times greater than the work that’s poorly done,“ Saxton said.

Incoming freshman Emily Gray said she thinks the no-zero policy is a good idea because it will help students to pass their classes.

“It might be better for some of the kids because they, kids who get zeroes, it might bring their grades down lower and they might not be able to pass grades,“ Emily Gray said.

Gray’s father however, disagrees because he thinks students who don’t do their work shouldn’t receive the same grade as students who put forth more effort.

“But a zero is a zero and a 50 percent is a 50 percent and if you receive 50 percent for doing zero, I don’t think it’s a good way to teach a child,“ said Mark Gray.

Administrators said they’re trying to prevent zeroes from piling up.

“As a result of that, students get frustrated. They miss school. They create disciplinary problems,“ Saxton said.

“The whole policy is about encouraging them to do their homework. We want it done in a timely manner to teachers’ standards, but the bottom line is, we want them to do their work,“ said Randy Drewyor, Chillicothe Board of Education member.

Drewyor said the no-zero policy would be fair to all students, making an F just 10 points below a D.

He says it would provide equal intervals between each letter grade.

Supporters said they’re not holding anyone’s hand. They just don’t want students to give up once they get a zero.

The vote was tabled until July 22.

http://www.nbc4i.com/cmh/news/local/articl...Proposal/18401/

• Retromags Curator
Seriously this just makes me mad, what have we come to where we pamper kids and no longer give zeroes out. Sorry but in the real world if you do not do your job.....you will be fired. This "everyones a winner" attitude needs to stop, its not how the real world functions.

http://www.nbc4i.com/cmh/news/local/articl...Proposal/18401/

Well...I just checked the date and it is not April 1st, so I assume that they are serious.

My only thought is, anything below 60% in most schools is considered an F. So, 50% or 0%, it's still an F. Why should this matter to them? Because they MIGHT score well enough on the tests and final to bring up a grade of 50% but not a grade of 0? I don't get it. Your parents will be (or at least SHOULD be) upset over a grade of F whether it's counted as 50% or lower. So, sorry about you, school in another state, but to borrow liberally from a prevailing internet meme...SCHOOL FAIL.

*facepalm*

Areala

• Retromags Curator
Well...I just checked the date and it is not April 1st, so I assume that they are serious.

My only thought is, anything below 60% in most schools is considered an F. So, 50% or 0%, it's still an F. Why should this matter to them? Because they MIGHT score well enough on the tests and final to bring up a grade of 50% but not a grade of 0? I don't get it. Your parents will be (or at least SHOULD be) upset over a grade of F whether it's counted as 50% or lower. So, sorry about you, school in another state, but to borrow liberally from a prevailing internet meme...SCHOOL FAIL.

*facepalm*

Areala

The reasoning given, was that when students see a Zero it hurts there feelings <_<

I heard someone about schools no longer grading papers with red ink....for the same reason

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...s-children.html

Wow.  Simply wow.  I was at my old high school about 2 months ago doing a pep rally type talk to the 11th and 12th graders and I was talking with some of my old teachers about their teaching practices and they still do it like they did when I was there.  You don't put any effort into it, you get a zero.  Plain and simple.  This "no zero" crap is just that crap.

If you are in school and don't do your work and whine about getting a failing grade-shut up.  Spend that time your whining actually doing your work and OMG, you might actually pass.  It is rediculous, really.

Wow.  Simply wow.  I was at my old high school about 2 months ago doing a pep rally type talk to the 11th and 12th graders and I was talking with some of my old teachers about their teaching practices and they still do it like they did when I was there.  You don't put any effort into it, you get a zero.  Plain and simple.  This "no zero" crap is just that crap.

If you are in school and don't do your work and whine about getting a failing grade-shut up.  Spend that time your whining actually doing your work and OMG, you might actually pass.  It is rediculous, really.

I teach almost all freshman classes, and at our school, we have a ridiculous policy that the kids can make up any work they miss until ten days after the quarter ends. Teachers got called to the carpet by the principal if their failure rates were too high. A friend of mine got non-renewed because she was failing too many students, despite the fact that she could show how many ways she was trying to help them pass. She simply didn't pass kids who did nothing, and too many of the kids are like that these days.