First Video Game Console You Bought?

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

Lets see how old everyone is, what was the very first video game console you owned? Mine was the Atari 2600....followed by a 5200, 7800 and then the Nintendo Entertainment System.

What about everyone else?

The first console I bought, with my own money, was a Sega Genesis, in 1995 I think (or 1994). The first console my family bought was an Atari 2600, in 1986 or 1987. Back when it was under 50 bucks (50 bucks!), the 2600 from A-Tar-EE. A couple years after that we upgraded to the Master System.

The first console I ever owned was the famicom. At the time, I didn't understand how it was different from the NES despite both having been developed by Nintendo. To my dismay, I found out how I could play games I borrowed from a friend at school because the nes cartridge was a different size from the famicom.

The first console I bought, with my own money, was a Sega Genesis, in 1995 I think (or 1994). The first console my family bought was an Atari 2600, in 1986 or 1987. Beack when it was under 50 bucks (50 bucks!), the 2600 from A-Tar-EE. A couple years after that we upgraded to the Master System.

The Atari 2600 was $200 in 1977. I always found that crazy along with TVs. I wonder what that is today with inflation in mind?

• Retromags Curator

The Atari 2600 was $200 in 1977. I always found that crazy along with TVs. I wonder what that is today with inflation in mind?

According to http://www.westegg.com/inflation/, $200 in 1977 was $702.72 last year. No wonder I love watching The Price is Right from the 70s and being amazed at how dirt cheap everything was.

Lets see how old everyone is, what was the very first video game console you owned? Mine was the Atari 2600....followed by a 5200, 7800 and then the Nintendo Entertainment System.

What about everyone else?

The first console that I had was the ColecoVision (loved Donkey Kong). I skipped the Atari and then went straight to the NES.

My family got an Atari 2600 around 1980(?), but I think I played it the most. My best friend also had one and we loaned games to each other; however, we had the same initials and had to get creative on marking whose was whose. He later got a Colecovison but moved further away, so I only got to play Donkey Kong a few times on it.

We didn't have the extra money to throw at Atari for the 5200 or 7800.

The first console that was "mine" didn't come until Christmas 1990 with an NES and SMB3, though I had played on others' consoles before. I also got Dr. Chaos because they couldn't find a copy of Final Fantasy. Dr. Chaos was promptly returned unopened when they got FF in stock. Years later, I finally made the connection that the final boss of FF was also named Chaos. Irony or coincidence?

I got a SNES in 1992 but fell away from console games when I got my first PC in 1994. I'm finally getting around to finishing the ones I left uncompleted.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My first "system" was an Atari 800XL. Got that in 1986 from my uncle after he upgraded to an ST. Christmas 1988 brought in the NES into my life, with my first games being the Triple Pack in cart, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, SMB2, Zelda 2. Funny how my intro to the Zelda world was the Oddball sequel. Next year I believe I got a Game Boy for Christmas. Tetris and SML to start out with. In 1993, I got an SNES for my birthday. Last one my parents ever bought me.

1994, Genesis and Master System. 1995, 3DO, TG-16/CD and a Neo Geo. I remember being the envy of all of my friends, being that I had a perfect copy of Samurai Showdown 2 in my house. 1997, Saturn and PSX. 1998, N64. In 2001 I discovered console Emulation on the PC, so I cleaned house and got rid of all my consoles, and started playing ROMs and ISOs on my "1337" 500Mhz Celeron with 256 MB's of RAM and a 10GB Hard Drive that would often studder playing AVI files in Windows Media Player. But damnit if SNES9x didn't look awesome on it. I thought this was the best thing in the world at the time, I didn't think it could get any better than this.

Since then, I've gotten every major system, Dreamcast, GBA, PS2, Game Cube, X-Box, PSP, NDS, Wii, X-Box360 in that order and this year I built a pretty sweet gaming PC as well. I don't think I left anything out except for maybe my old Game Gear, didn't have it long, never really liked it that much anyway. I never did own a 2600, Jaguar or a Lynx. Played a lot of 2600 though. Next up is a PS3 come tax return time, and a 3rd Video card for Triple SLI this Christmas for the PC. And Wii HD if they ever make it.

Wonder what's next?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My first video game console was the old NES console that had red and gold colours, idk what exactly what it was called but i remember playing Super Mario Bros. and Dr.Mario over and over again because those were the only games i had so far, until later on...