First Video Game Console You Bought?

Phillyman

The first Video Game console i actually had was the NES but the first VG Console i bought with my mom at that time because i was still young, was actually the PSX, my parents bought both the NES and SNES but i don't remember me being there at the store with them to buy it.

• 4 weeks later...

Used to have an old atarti, not sure on the model, but it was the wooden one! Actually bought a snes, after owning a game boy when they came out. Still remember the excitement of getting a new system when I was younger. Now days it's not the same... Maybe because you can just buy one when ever you want when working. When younger you waited what seemed like ages to get one... :gbasp2:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

My brother got me the original Magnavox Odyssey. I could write an entire feature on that!

After that, I played with the Fairchild Channel F at Caldor, along with the handheld Microvision (Blockbuster cart) and the Odyssey².

From there the family bought a Colecovision. Then I was a game reviewer for Videogaming Illustrated and Video Games, and used a public access TV show to get free equipment. That netted me an Atari 2600, 5200, Mattel Intellivision II with Intellivoice, Odyssey², GCE Vectrex (great unit!), and Timex 2068 and Spectravideo SV-318 (MSX games).

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My first was the Sega Master System. Bought it from a guy who placed a classified ad in the newspaper. it came with 2 control pads, a joystick, light gun and I think 8 games. It was strange that the Space Harrier cartridge it came with had a Rambo cartridge label on it. Later on when I got a Super Nintendo I took apart the Master System and it's cartridges and accessories. Years later when i bought a Sega Genesis with Master System converter from a game shop i reassembled the Master System cartridges and they all still worked.

• 3 weeks later...

The first console I ever got as a kid was the Game Boy Pocket. this was the one they released after the original, where it was much smaller but required AAA batteries instead of AA batteries. I remember it was really cool compared to the regular game boys which by comparison were huge and clunky. Unfortunately they came out with the game boy color really soon after that, it was crazy. I can't remember the span of time but I got my game boy pocket and like less than a year later the game boy color came out and i was already obsolete. i had to get one of those too, to stay hip. I didn't actually buy my own game console until I moved out of the parents' house at 18, when I got a gamecube.

• 4 weeks later...

As evident on this forum post: http://www.retromags.com/forums/topic/4578-are-you-happy-about-the-era-of-gaming-you-grew-up-in/page__view__findpost__p__35654 , my first console ever was the NES. Awesome system and I still own it today in mint condition with box, manual, styrofoam, and all the inserts! Although my favorite system is the SNES, which I bought with my own money in 1991. I had to save my lunch money ($1 a day for a year) to get it. :-)

The first one we had was an NES for Christmas. My dad thought it would help improve my eye-hand coordination, but I think he also wanted a reason to get one. :)

The first one I ever bought was a Playstation 3, the 80 GB. My dad spoiled me and would buy me other consoles as I grew up (SNES, PSX, and PS2). Still have the Playstation 3, although the HDMI cord isn't working (still works with a standard cord), and we have a 160 GB because we thought the 80 GB wasn't working.