How Do You Receive Tv?

POLO9999

Hello... I think everybody watch TV? (at least, the one who read this topic :D).

(If not... sorry but you didn't reach the condition for answer :rolleyes: ).

Obviously, the first thing you do when you want to watch a TV Program... (in your first time you get a TV at your home) is to choose the reception mode?

Do you :

- Use Indoor/Outdoor Antenna (OTA) : Main channels is good enough.

- Use CableTV (CATV) (analogue) : I need some additionnal TV, not more.

- Use CATV (digital) : I like have lot of digital channels or want Premiums :-).

- Use Satellite TV : Same as in Digital Cable.

- Use IPTV (Phone) : Same as in Cable/Sat but want more channels !

In my case : i get OTA + CATV + SatTV... CATV for NationalTV (because only Public broadcast on OTA) and SatTV for get UKTV and Some FreeTV :)

What about Bittorrent? I haven't turned on our regular TV in years. There are also ways of watching live tv through webpages for extreme cases (like NBA playoffs). Everything else comes down through Bittorrent. Why pay for cable when you can get everything for free, without commercials, in 720p.

There is also Hulu.com

• Retromags Curator
What about Bittorrent? I haven't turned on our regular TV in years. There are also ways of watching live tv through webpages for extreme cases (like NBA playoffs). Everything else comes down through Bittorrent. Why pay for cable when you can get everything for free, without commercials, in 720p.

There is also Hulu.com

Yeah this is true....but one night my DVR screwed up and missed an episode of Heroes. I didnt find out til the following week....anyways....I downloaded it.....and a few days later I got a DMCA letter from NBC <_<

Agree... But in my case, i prefer broadcast TV, it is not for the quality or else but it's just for ambiance to watch something similar with lot of people in the same time... i don't like to watch a movie downloaded... i did it but i don't fell the same thing that watching it on Regular TV...

My personnal opinion.

Yeah this is true....but one night my DVR screwed up and missed an episode of Heroes. I didnt find out til the following week....anyways....I downloaded it.....and a few days later I got a DMCA letter from NBC <_<

Where did you download it from?

What is your ISP?

Where you using Bittorrent or P2p, like Kazaa or Limewire?

What did the letter say? (I'm curious :) )

I've been downloading shows for about 5 years and never a problem.

What is your ISP?

Same here... downloading Music from times and out since 5 years and never got any letters... You're maybe one of the lucky members to be spyed just when you do something bad... (it's like the Women which must pay 2M $ for 27 songs (but she searched it... lies mainly).

• Retromags Curator

What is your ISP?

Mininova

Cox

Torrent

We saw you downloading "name of file", we have notified your ISP....blah blah....please delete this material immediately....etc etc

EDIT

Found a sample one...

http://www.marshall.edu/it/copyright/Sampl...tion_Notice.pdf

Mininova

Cox

Torrent

We saw you downloading "name of file", we have notified your ISP....blah blah....please delete this material immediately....etc etc

EDIT

Found a sample one...

http://www.marshall.edu/it/copyright/Sampl...tion_Notice.pdf

Ah, 2 years ago. This is probably before they started uploading all their episodes to Hulu.com. They realized they can't stop piracy so next best thing is to compete with it. I like Hulu.com, but it it only has a few past episodes and sometimes I want to collect an entire season for future viewing.

I don't like keeping up ratios enough to watch all the shows I want through BT. If it weren't for that, I'd use it. CATV is more convenient for me.

I tried online channels before, but it was kinda sucky. Have they improved it much in the past year or so?

I like Hulu, it's nice how they actually show full episodes of stuff for free. I don't use it much, though, because of the limited selection.

I don't like keeping up ratios enough to watch all the shows I want through BT. If it weren't for that, I'd use it. CATV is more convenient for me.

I tried online channels before, but it was kinda sucky. Have they improved it much in the past year or so?

I like Hulu, it's nice how they actually show full episodes of stuff for free. I don't use it much, though, because of the limited selection.

I have a dedicated bittorrent server, so ratios for me aren't a problem anymore. It saves me a ton of time and I can add torrents anywhere using a web interface.

• Retromags Curator

Because paying for cable means people get jobs, and it means broadcasters get revenue from advertising that the viewers see. If everyone went to downloading stuff from BitTorrent. how long do you think it would be before there was nothing to download because there was no money for new shows? What you get for free costs somebody else something.

I download shows from BT as well. Not because I refuse to pay for cable. I'd rather sit on my couch and watch TV than sit at my computer. But because I don't have cable. Ad I don't have cable because I did not like how the one cable company serving my city was doing business, so I canceled it, along with their internet service. Since I live in a townhouse, I am not allowed to put a dish up, and Bell Canada doesn't offer their TV service through the phone line in my area. If they did, I would have that. So I am stuck with nothing. so far it's been easy, but hockey season starts in a few months, and not watching the games will be lame. But in this case it is a matter of principle rather than just wanting something for nothing.

Even when I move where I can have a dish, I will have a paid service, along with grey market dishes swiping signals from US providers. And "free-to-air" signals as well :)

Because paying for cable means people get jobs, and it means broadcasters get revenue from advertising that the viewers see. If everyone went to downloading stuff from BitTorrent. how long do you think it would be before there was nothing to download because there was no money for new shows? What you get for free costs somebody else something.

There will always be people to pay for cable TV, whether it be through satellite or wire. I bet the percentage of people who dl shows is under 10% in the US. And of those people, probably half (myself included) would never fork over $50/month for cable TV. Plus, Time Warner still gets $29.95/month from me for Internet. They have made plenty off me the last 5 years. I bet it costs them less than $10/month for my service. That is why when I called them 6 months ago to ask for a lower price (was paying $46.95/month), they didn't hesitate to drop it to $29.95.

The truth is that media companies will just have to get creative with how they make money. Talk radio, along with newspapers are nearly dead. Everyone gets podcasts and the daily news from the internet. Plus, many tv shows are already available on the internet for free either from the broadcaster's website or hulu.com. For example, I watched this week's A&E's "Intervention" last night from their website. They just put commercials every 10 min or so. The reason I did this instead of downloading the show was convenience. I didn't want to wait to download the show.

Media companies have to adapt to the internet or die. Simple as that. Lots of people will lose jobs, but that's life.

• Retromags Curator

Thanks to the mandatory digital TV transition in the US, we watch what little TV gets watched in this house via the little converter box. And yeah, the reception in stormy weather is TERRIBLE, far worse than analog TV ever was.

*huggles*

Areala

Thanks to the mandatory digital TV transition in the US, we watch what little TV gets watched in this house via the little converter box. And yeah, the reception in stormy weather is TERRIBLE, far worse than analog TV ever was.

*huggles*

Areala

What about the digital tv transmission but over cable instead of satellite, under stormy weather?

Edited by MacGruber