Are Platform Games Dying?

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

Do you feel with the introduction of 3D games that the Platform games are dying out? It seems games like Castlevania, Mario Bros, Sonic and others are only being made 3D for consoles now a days. When do we get a old school Castlevania game on our consoles? Are todays systems too powerful for the platform game to be even thought of? I was soo happy when Nintendo announced Wario Shake.....it seemed like they felt our pain for a platform game. Now these types of games are solely for handhelds :bag:

They've sadly been dying for a few years now.. The best system we have for platforming right now seems like the DS.

Nintendo seems to stick by the platformer pretty solidly.. Can't wait to see New Super Mario Bros. Wii!

Does anyone remember anything of platformers on the Playstation? The system actually had quite a few good ones. Klonoa, Abe's Odyssey + Exxodus, Skullmonkeys, and of course CastleVania: SOTN to name a few.

Are we talking traditional 2D platform games, or including 3D as well?

I guess from the titles listed you mean 2D games?

When the DS becomes obsolete, where will platform games find a home next?

Do you think Nintendo will ever abandon 2D completely when it comes to Mario games?

I think that with each generation of consoles, that generation finds its feet with certain genres, and genres that were flagships for the previous generations just become less popular. It may be a shame, but it's been a long time since the platform game had it's heyday on the 16-bits.

Having said that, do you think that as a result of fewer being released, that the ones that are released, are of a higher quality?

I think Nintendo will always keep 2D around as a sort of throwback, like with the sidescrolling Embassy levels in SSB Brawl. It's where their roots are planted. At least until everyone from our day is done playing games, if that ever happens.

I think that with each generation of consoles, that generation finds its feet with certain genres, and genres that were flagships for the previous generations just become less popular. It may be a shame, but it's been a long time since the platform game had it's heyday on the 16-bits.

Definitely.

The few platformers coming out now do seem a bit better quality.