Are New Super Mario Games Too Easy?

• Retromags Curator

I was thinking about this the other day, I have only beaten recent Super Mario games.

Not Beaten

Super Mario Bros

Super Mario Bros 3

Mario Sunshine (couldnt get into it)

Beaten

Super Mario Bros 2. (for the Gameboy Advance)

Super Mario World

Super Mario World 2

Mario 64

New Super Mario Bros

Super Mario Galaxy

Do we think that the current Mario games are too easy compared to the past titles?

For me, the newer Mario titles (Mario 64 and newer on console) are more about patience and persevering through it than really playing the game itself.  Not sure what it is but Mario 64 just seems huge and a lot longer than earlier titles, to the point where I give up eventually and start playing something else instead of finishing M64.

Yeah, I always give up on Mario 64, too.. I just recently did this on VC. Mario Sunshine.. is a decent game, but it's nothing like what it should be. Having to use the backpack is annoying! Galaxy on the other hand is more Mario-like, like 64, but it's not exactly the same, either. New Super Mario Bros. was excellent, although a little too easy. Hopefully they fix that with the Wii version.

I didn't beat the original Super Mario Bros. until a few years back, and I'd had it for close to 15 years. The last level would always just own me! Same with Mario 3, but plugging through Mario 3 a couple of times without beating it, you'll eventually get it. It's a bit easier than Mario 1. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

they are easier, for more than a few reasons.

better controls and the ability to save your progress has made game more accessible to play. but i couldn't help but shake the feeling that mario galaxy was "dumbed down" to appeal to the new found casual crowd. Hell, the new super mario bros. game on the wii has the ability to "feature "demo play", where players will be able to pause the game, let the game complete the level for them, and resume play at any time by unpausing."

what's the point of playing a game if you can have the game play itself for you? this was clearly added to appreal to nintendo's new target audience.

anyway, i did eventually beat the first three mario games on the nes, but it was their remakes i beat, not the original games. though that shouldn't matter much since they were just graphical enhancements.

I can't say they are easier.

Mario Galaxy took me quite some time to complete 100% on Mario's game that is, I'm still working on Luigi's game. I'd say the difficulty really has remained constant. I mean I remember having some difficulty on all Mario games at some point. But all the earlier Mario games I can get through w/o dieing once. But newer Mario games I'll die several times before completing. So it's really hard to say since it's been so long since I first played say Mario 2 or Mario 3.

I can't say they are easier.

Mario Galaxy took me quite some time to complete 100% on Mario's game that is, I'm still working on Luigi's game. I'd say the difficulty really has remained constant. I mean I remember having some difficulty on all Mario games at some point. But all the earlier Mario games I can get through w/o dieing once. But newer Mario games I'll die several times before completing. So it's really hard to say since it's been so long since I first played say Mario 2 or Mario 3.

I am with Thor on most of this. They are easier in general to finish. BUT in order to compensate for this, Team Mario normally tosses in a few "optional" levels or "stars/etc" for those that are looking for more of a challenge. If you two-manned Mario Galaxy (properly using the 2p controller) you can whiz right through the game in a matter of hours. If you try to do some of the bonus levels they are just flat out hard (even with 2p help). So in general they are crazy easy for what you HAVE to do, but still contain the difficulty level of SMB I level 8-3 (you know the part I am talking about with the crazy jumps required).