How Did You Find Retromags?

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

I found out from youtube. But I can't download anything right now because of the STUPID rule you people have of not being allowed to download something unless you pst a lot.

You can download one magazine a day. And it's because of the STUPID rule that people like you aren't coming here and overwhelming the servers to the point that our site would be shut down. These files are not even supposed to be on the server for multiple reasons. But they are, and we are trying to keep a low profile about it so that they can stay until we get everything moved to Newsgroups.

If you prefer, I can remove everything from the site so there is nothing for you to download. Would you prefer that? Or would you rather I open everything up so that the site gets taken offline by the hosting company. Please, do tell what would suit you since posting to the forum is too much to ask. Everyone always wants something for nothing without contributing. So you either put up with the way things are and live with them until they are changed, or you take a hike.

Came here for the first time last year, read some old Sega Visions, had a blast. Found the files on my drive and decided to come on back... and hadn't considered how hard losing Megaupload would be on a site like this. Thanks for keeping it together the best you guys can - this site is an extremely valuable resource and I'm so glad that someone is preserving this information and these memories for the future.

Hah, forgot the all-important "how" part... and can we not edit posts here? Google. It was Google. :P

Yeah ... it impacted sites like Retromags, oldgamemags (my site) and OoPA hard as we either lost our collections completely (Megaupload) or they suddenly were made private use only (Filesonic you assholes) so each site has tried to work out how best to try and get them back online. Unfortunately there are asswipes like Sonic3030 who have no understanding of the situation other than they cannot leech a bazillion files anymore so toss their toys out of the cot like a baby and sounding like one too!!!

• Retromags Curator

Came here for the first time last year, read some old Sega Visions, had a blast. Found the files on my drive and decided to come on back... and hadn't considered how hard losing Megaupload would be on a site like this. Thanks for keeping it together the best you guys can - this site is an extremely valuable resource and I'm so glad that someone is preserving this information and these memories for the future.

Hah, forgot the all-important "how" part... and can we not edit posts here? Google. It was Google. :P

Once you hit 25 posts you can edit your posts as well as have access to other features. http://www.retromags.com/pages/Help/25_Posts

Yeah ... it impacted sites like Retromags, oldgamemags (my site) and OoPA hard as we either lost our collections completely (Megaupload) or they suddenly were made private use only (Filesonic you assholes) so each site has tried to work out how best to try and get them back online. Unfortunately there are asswipes like Sonic3030 who have no understanding of the situation other than they cannot leech a bazillion files anymore so toss their toys out of the cot like a baby and sounding like one too!!!

Yeah, that's brutal. Hopefully nothing was lost-lost, but shuffling around such a large collection must be an insane undertaking. You'd think someone who managed to end up here in search of old mag downloads would be old enough to grasp the reality of the situation, but... that's the internet for you, I guess?

Once you hit 25 posts you can edit your posts as well as have access to other features. http://www.retromags.com/pages/Help/25_Posts

Cool, thanks. Say, while I'm asking potentially dumb questions - is there a list of stuff that's still wanted for scanning purposes, or is the thread for posting your collection the closest we've got? I looked around a bunch last night but couldn't find much in that regard. Though I doubt I have much that other folks haven't already scanned and I lack the resources to put 'em online, I wouldn't mind getting them in the hands of people who could.

• Retromags Curator

Cool, thanks. Say, while I'm asking potentially dumb questions - is there a list of stuff that's still wanted for scanning purposes, or is the thread for posting your collection the closest we've got? I looked around a bunch last night but couldn't find much in that regard. Though I doubt I have much that other folks haven't already scanned and I lack the resources to put 'em online, I wouldn't mind getting them in the hands of people who could.

We used to have a project tracker to keep track of what needed to still be scanned, but no one used or updated it. We also had a wiki where there was a table on each magazine's index page indicating what was scanned and what was missing. But the wiki was never updated, and just felt out of place, so it's gone too. The best thing to do is go through the Downloads section. Anything not listed in there has not been scanned yet. Ignore the fact that links are broken on a lot of magazines. They exist but are not currently online. Anything not listed means we don't have it :)

We used to have a project tracker to keep track of what needed to still be scanned, but no one used or updated it. We also had a wiki where there was a table on each magazine's index page indicating what was scanned and what was missing. But the wiki was never updated, and just felt out of place, so it's gone too. The best thing to do is go through the Downloads section. Anything not listed in there has not been scanned yet. Ignore the fact that links are broken on a lot of magazines. They exist but are not currently online. Anything not listed means we don't have it :)

Excellent- my collection's currently living in plastic bins in another state, but when I'm there next I'll be sure to post what I've got in the appropriate thread and see what can be done about scanning! Would love to contribute anything I can to the project.

I came upon here just by sheer chance and luck. I'm actually in the middle of a game of Willow for the NES, and said to myself that I needed to scour some old Nintendo Power magazines for any possible maps/tips, as those were the de facto way to help get yourself through a game pre-internet. In fact it's probably far more intuitive and fun to use them than reading a plain, boring text faq or shoddy mspaint map.

Thanks to this site I went from :help: to :Yahooo:

Mine is a funny story, so gather round and sit down. : P

I was on gamefaqs, which is rare because I never go on there in the first place. But there is an active topic on the forum there about the wonderful game "Kya Dark Lineage".

I ended up mentioning that the game had sold around 2000 copies in the first year, which is very poor. But I realized that I don't really have proof of how I know this, I just remember finding out one day a few years back.. I was on a search engine looking up stuff about Kya Dark Lineage and came across a topic on a forum that listed all of the sales for countless games.

I thought I would look for this topic again so I could show it as evidence if someone was to ask.

So, I figure I would look for that again. So I typed in Kya Dark Lineage sales, and I ended up in a blog post here and now I am here! XD

• 2 weeks later...

I stumbled here completely on accident, . I was looking through my bookcase and found my old Wild Arms guide and in the back there's a weird ad for Twisted Metal 2. I thought it was hilarious so I tried sending the pic by phone but my phone's not extremely good with pictures so I was only able to take a picture of the Molotov cocktail-wielding bear to show my bro, so I searched online to see if I could find the full ad and found this guide book in the pic search. I never heard of it and I searched a lot for TM stuff and found this site! Which I couldn't believe a site like this existed. I've always wanted to read a lot of the earlier magazines and see the history and progress of video games but I didn't think they'd be posted online.