How Did You Find Retromags?

Phillyman

I'm not sure exactly. I've known of the place for years and even had the NP torrent. Probably found out initially because I downloaded mags a lot and saw the nfo. I've been meaning to join for some time when I knew I'd have the time and dedication to scan my mags.

I had been desperately looking for a certain copy of VG&CE for years. When I came across a Spelunker strategy that I had clipped from that magazine, I had a clue! I searched in Google and found a link, and that was it. Retromags didn't have the issue of VG&CE in question (which was JAN/FEB '89, I think), but I stayed anyways. Great site.

• Like 2

I had been desperately looking for a certain copy of VG&CE for years. When I came across a Spelunker strategy that I had clipped from that magazine, I had a clue! I searched in Google and found a link, and that was it. Retromags didn't have the issue of VG&CE in question (which was JAN/FEB '89, I think), but I stayed anyways. Great site.

Keep an eye on J2games.com in their magazine section, they have some rarer VG&CE issues (they have #1 right now).  Also, you could message them about that Jan/Feb 89 issue, they are great about getting in contact with people about things like this.

• 4 weeks later...

I popped into the Mean Machines Archive one day and noticed meppi's thread on Maximum and Sega Saturn Mag scans, which in turn brought me to Retromags. So, it's all meppi's fault that I haven't finished issue 3 of Retroaction yet :)

Hehe, glad to hear that.

Even though the forum there is extremely quiet as of late, they have an incredible crew there and a very nice group of posters.

Not to mention several people who worked on the magazines I'm focussing on.

That's why I keep putting the links of my latest issues up there as well, even though there aren't many replies or anything.

It's all about respect.

• Retromags Curator

I found Retromags via Triverse, who joined up at ReplacementDocs.com where I have been scanning game manuals. He posted in the forum with the Retromags URL in his signature, and I being curious followed it. Now, like a stray cat who has been fed once, it has been impossible to get rid of me ever since. :)

*huggles*

Areala

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Was googling to see when the new EGM would come out, happened across a link to a scan of issue #1, and remembered seeing that very issue on a newsstand in my old neighborhood (Same place I used to buy my Series 1 and 2 Marvel cards, I believe 1990 and 1991, still have these in near Mint too). Good old Mega man 2. I never did read EGM #1 untill now. Was such a treat to see it. Eventually, I'd like to get my hands on all the EGM I can. It was an important part of my childhood. I had a badass collection of mags from #47+ like nearly every single month. I never did get a subscription, because at the time, I thought if I paid full newsstand prices, EGM would make more money. I didn't really have a good concept of economics at the time. I moved around a lot in my life, so subscriptions usually didn't happen. I do have a stable home now that I am older, and decided to get a subscription to EGM back in November of 2008. So I get my 2 issues after procrastinating (Been meaning to get a subscription since at least December 2007 this time around) and now I'm stuck with Maxim magazines that usually get tossed after I read the 2 or 3 Video Game related articles they MAY have. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a magazine full of hot women, but Maxim is just a tease. If I'm going to look at women, they'll either be made of Pixels/ Polygons or wearing a lot less than they do in Maxim, or better yet, be wearing that lot less in my apartment lol.

So long story short, Googled for EGM info, found some PDF's, torrents, Rocketboy site ---> you guys. And tough break for you all, I'm kinda hard to get rid of >.> But at least I genuinely have a love for THE GAME <----(lol you just lost it, sorry, I /b/ a lot too -.-)

My introduction to RetroMags came via the Underground-Gamer.com site. It must have been one of the single issue torrents originally, probably a Nintendo Power or Sega Visions. I grabbed all of the ones that were up originally. More recently, after being helplessly addicted to FFXI for years and just recently quitting, I came cross the Big UG torrent and started grabbing it (I do plan to seed it off my HD, because the files aren't going anywhere for a while anyway).

• 1 month later...