Top 10 Video Game Villains Ever!

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

Whats your list of top 10 video game villains? Dont forget to tell us what game they are from......here are mine.

1) Bowser (Mario Bros)

2) Ganon (Legend of Zelda)

3) Sephiroth (Final Fantasy 7)

4) Dr. Robotnik (Sonic)

5) Dracula (Castlevania)

6) Evil Otto (Bezerker)

7) Dr. Wiley (Megaman)

8) M. Bison (Street Fighter)

9) Shang Tsung (Mortal Kombat)

10) Neo Cortex (Crash Bandicoot)

Whats your list of top 10 video game villains? Dont forget to tell us what game they are from......here are mine.

1) Bowser (Mario Bros)

2) Ganon (Legend of Zelda)

4) Dr. Robotnik (Sonic)

5) Dracula (Castlevania)

6) Evil Otto (Bezerker)

7) Dr. Wiley (Megaman)

8) M. Bison (Street Fighter)

9) Shang Tsung (Mortal Kombat)

10) Neo Cortex (Crash Bandicoot)

I always thought Goro was a much better villain than Shang Tsung.

• Retromags Curator

Sephiroth? Sephiroth? That silver-haired JENOVA-loving momma's boy? NUMBER THREE?

No. No, this is some cruel hoax, and I refuse to believe it. Sephiroth is a frigging joke. When it comes to bad guys, there is one and only one name that ever need be uttered in regards to villiany; one enemy who makes every other final boss in any RPG look like the amateur-hour wannabe pantywaist throwback weaksauces that they truly are. And that name is Kefka (Final Fantasy III US/VI Japan).

Sin? Ultimecia? Chaos? Zeromus? Sephiroth? Kefka mocks their paltry abilities, their pathetic schemes, their sorry little temper tantrums, their narrow-minded focus. Why is Kefka the ultimate RPG baddie? Simple. I'll spell it out for you.

1) Kefka does not adhere to the rules of just warfare. When sent to the frontlines to replace General Leo in the siege of Damcyan castle, Kefka doesn't throw his forces at the castle over and over again just to suffer the ignomy of defeat. Despite the fact that many of his men are held captive in Damcyan's dungeon, Kefka deliberately poisons the castle's water source to end the stalemate; the end result is the death of every man, woman, and child in Damcyan castle except for one lone samurai.

2) Kefka actually kills people who are his equals in combat...in combat. Sure, we all sniffled when Sephiroth ran Aeris through with his big@$$ phallic symbol, but who was Aeris to challenge Sephiroth's prowess as a warrior in a one-on-one matchup? Heck, any random Shinra employee with a gun could have done in Aeris without someone there to protect her. Kefka doesn't murder a simple peasant girl to get his point across, he murders General Leo, the highest-ranking officer in Emperor Geshtal's army and a powerhouse of a warrior in his own right. This is a man with a BASIC COMBAT MOVE that allows him to annihilate an entire field of enemies with a few swishes of his sword, and Kefka bests him in single combat while everyone else is watching. Sure, Kefka was heavily reinforced with the Guardian mecha and several soldiers in Magitech armour, and could have ordered THEM to attack Leo and kill him (or at least soften him up a bit before the fight) without getting his hands dirty, but nah, Kefka just wades right in and obliterates General Leo, then stoops so low as to deliver the death blow with Leo's own sword after having disarmed him.

3) Kefka cares nothing for authority. Kefka follows his own path, and no matter who it takes him into conflict with, he will steamroll over them without a second thought. Witness that Kefka serves under the Emperor until his goals part with Geshtal's: unleashing the forces of magic into the world is how the Emperor seeks to gain power. It's also how Kefka seeks to gain power. And since Geshtal stands in the way of Kefka's goal, he has no qualms about butchering him atop the floating island, and then proceeds to kick his corpse off the landmass without a second thought.

4) Kefka cares nothing for the people under his command. In the very beginning of the game, we hear two of the Empire's soldiers discussing Terra's powers, and one of them indicates that Terra "fried 50 of our Magitech armored soldiers". She sure sounds dangerous...but later on, Terra experiences a flashback where she is pitted against Imperial Troops to test her abilities with magic, and we see that it is none other than Kefka urging her on to burn and destroy the soldiers with her Fire spells. Wearing the slave crown, she has no choice but to follow his orders, and decimates the force Kefka throws at her handily. Presumably, the Empire could have used those 50 soldiers somewhere else: the Damcyan siege force, the garrison at South Figero, guarding Vector, patrolling the Magitech Research Facility, or in any other Imperial-occupied territory, but Kefka simply wastes them in a tech demo for his project.

5) Several of the aforementioned major baddies of the RPG world are seemingly willing to commit genocide to see their goals achieved. Kefka actually engages in a genocidal war of attrition against another race: the Espers as he captures them, sends them to the Magitech Facility to be studied and drained of their powers, and then kicks the discarded husks into the trash compactors when he's done. For all intents and purposes, Kefka completely wipes out the race of Espers in his conquest for power.

6) Plenty of evildoers make up complex schemes to take over or destroy the world. Kefka actually fulfills his. Halfway through Final Fantasy VI, Kefka exposes the planet (the PLANET, mind you, not just a continent or a country) to the magical equivalent of a nuclear war, utterly ruining it for those lucky (or unlucky) enough to still be alive after the carnage is complete. Kefka desires to make a monument to non-existence, and converts himself into a literal god, using his Ray of Judgement to annihilate anything at his whim while he sits atop his enormous tower above the rest of the world. Yes, despite all our heroes plotting, planning and fighting against him, Kefka actually succeeds where the rest of his contemporaries fail and achieves his mad dream of dominating a mostly barren wasteland filled with survivors struggling to eke out a living under his brutal watch.

So you all can keep your top 10 lists filled with the likes of Bowser, Dr. Wily, the Jaquio, Shao Khan, and Gannon. The one name, the only name, that this list requires is Kefka. Everyone else is just playing second-fiddle to the greatest villain the video game world has ever produced. :)

*huggles*

Areala

Sorry Areala, I just couldn't read all of that post, just too long.

I feel somewhat hypocritical, as my posts go on and on!!

As for bad guys, dunno if I can list 10, but here goes.

Also, is it limited to "living entities" or can it be general enemies?

Also, given those named, I take it you mean Final Bosses?:

1) Metal Gear Rex

2) The Dragon (Tomb Raider 2)

3) Final Boss in Resident Evil 4

4) Final Boss in Resident Evil 2

5) Dracula (Super Castlevania IV)

6) Mother Brain (Super Metroid)

7) Final Boss in Actraiser

8) Devil (Tekken 2)

9) Mumblers - Not a game boss, but a special mention as these things scare the crap outta me (Silent Hill)

10) Iron Maiden - see number 9, above (Resident Evil 4)

Does my list qualify?

• 1 month later...

I don't have a lot of boss character's on my list but each one of these guy's is a major video game villian to me.

1. Melvin "Big Smoke" Harris (GTA San Andreas). Even now after so many year's the betrayal by this character still stand's out for me. Man, it felt so good when he finally got what was comming to him.

2. M-Bison (Street Fighter 2). Man it took me forever to actually beat him.

3. Tom Nook (Animal Crossing Wild World). I still haven't paid off my mortgage to this b*****d and I'm not sure I can take anymore orange collecting or fishing in order to be able to finally pay him off.

4. Ganon (Zelda Ocarina of Time). Such a great villian. The first time you see him in the game when he rides out of the Castle, then stop's and slowly turn's to look at you, is so good. He's just so evil.

5. T-Rex (Tomb Raider). This guy scared the hell out of me the first time I saw him running toward's me. It took me forever to kill him too untill I discovered the side area where you could shoot him in safety.

6. Demon's (Doom). I know these guy's are pretty easy to kill, especially if you have a shotgun, but I always hated the way they charged at you.

7. Hammer Bros. (Super Mario World). Oh man I really hate these guy's. Flying around on their platform with wing's, chucking hammer's at you. So annoying evertime they killed me.

8. Lakitu (Super Mario World). See no. 7 except substitute cloud's for winged platform and spiky turtle things for hammer's.

9. Iggy Koopa (Super Mario World). Never liked this guy.

10. Buzz-Bomber (Sonic the Hedgehog). These guy's are so annoying. You're running along and everything's fine and then suddenly they shoot you and all of the ring's you've collected are disappearing off of the screen. Hate that.

I always thought Goro was a much better villain than Shang Tsung.

Goro was ultra powerfull. If he even hit you it would take almost 1 third to half your life. Shang Tsung was cheap. He could walk toward you and morph just before striking range and paddle you. If you back him up he can huck fireballs.

He was the hardest to master. Too bad you can't fight as Gorro.