Scanning With A Camera.

Psycho36

i wanted to scan some magazines to give back to the community so i whipped out the old flat bed scanner as i had a mates planet game boy magazine and wanted to keep the super mario DX walkthrough before i gave the mag back. it then turned out that the necessary software got lost in the move and, cut a long story short, it doesn't work. however some people have told me if ever they have a document they want to keep they just take a picture of it with a good digital camera.

what are peoples opinions on scanning by photographing? im asking less for the sharing point of view and more personal, as although i would quite happily scan some pages and upload them, it would take a while to learn how to scan a mag properly and would seem too much like a chore for me to do more than 2 pages.

also, would it be possible to start scanning in some of the bits that come with old mags, you know, the cheat books mainly.

• 1 month later...

We want full magazine scans if it's not already posted.

You need to sign up at driverguide.com to find drivers for your scanner.

It is easier to scan a magazine although a good digital camera could work if you had it set up on a platform and had it pointing perpendicular to the pages. It would also look nicer if you had even lighting all around the specimen.

• 1 month later...

As soon as I have the dollars for a new scanner/printer I will begin scanning again

My work here was well liked so I think I am overdue to do some more scanning

I actually got rid of my old scanner cause it got a deep scratch in the glass and it was showing up in scans

Another thing though is why has E-Day got credit for my scan below?

EGM 120

He is credited for creating the NFO file for me and uploading it to the site but if you download it you will see there is in fact no nfo file at all and I did all the work scanning all 148 pages/editing them and then uploading them for the site!

As soon as I have the dollars for a new scanner/printer I will begin scanning again

My work here was well liked so I think I am overdue to do some more scanning

I actually got rid of my old scanner cause it got a deep scratch in the glass and it was showing up in scans

Another thing though is why has E-Day got credit for my scan below?

EGM 120

He is credited for creating the NFO file for me and uploading it to the site but if you download it you will see there is in fact no nfo file at all and I did all the work scanning all 148 pages/editing them and then uploading them for the site!

Probably just got missed by Phillyman when he uploaded it as you are credited in the main info. I'm sure Phillyman can edit it to correct it for you.

• Retromags Curator

I hope so, it feels a bit crap to have 2 days hard work not acknowledged properly

I am not sure what happened with this, I have fixed all the issues (except the re-up to Rapidshare). We are not out to screw anyone over, just give me a holler whenever you spot a mistake and I will do my best to resolve it ASAP! :)

• Downvote 1

I am not sure what happened with this, I have fixed all the issues (except the re-up to Rapidshare). We are not out to screw anyone over, just give me a holler whenever you spot a mistake and I will do my best to resolve it ASAP! :)

I know you/E-Day weren't trying to screw me, I should have mentioned the screw up FAR earlier