Crystal Pepsi

Phillyman

Sprite Remix? Of course I remember that stuff. Pretty sure it's about all that hydrated me through 2003 haha. They even had a Sprite Remix concert tour that I got free tickets for when I worked at Blockbuster. Good times, but like many things, we can't have it because someone's kid went and did something stupid with it.

Pro-tip: mixing Sprite with cough syrup is a great way to cause death, not make grape drank. Dummies...

Also, how recent have you found Pitch Black? Last couple times we were able to find it, I stocked up on that stuff. I don't drink dew quite as often as I used to, but you might be considered an addict when you have a dozen 12 packs in your pantry. :P

As for collecting cans, the only ones I ever collected were the Star Wars Ep 1 cans, back in 1999. One day, went out to the garage to find that at least one of them had leaked. I thought that whatever was in that soda ate through the can (yikes!), but upon further thought, I think it's far more likely that it just froze and expanded enough to pop the can a bit.

I wasn't one of the state's that got it lol and damn I remember those Star Wars cans. I was at the store getting soda and they had that promotion if you find a gold Yoda can you get $20 and the way it was packaged you could see that one box had one in it. The part that you Bust open to use as a makeshift handle. I bought that one and didn't claim it and just kept it. Had it up until a few years ago when a hurricane came through and wrecked my house and my sister's boyfriend took the opportunity to help himself to my things. And his dad tried to sell me my own games back to me.

I wasn't one of the state's that got it lol and damn I remember those Star Wars cans. I was at the store getting soda and they had that promotion if you find a gold Yoda can you get $20 and the way it was packaged you could see that one box had one in it. The part that you Bust open to use as a makeshift handle. I bought that one and didn't claim it and just kept it. Had it up until a few years ago when a hurricane came through and wrecked my house and my sister's boyfriend took the opportunity to help himself to my things. And his dad tried to sell me my own games back to me.

I'll have to check to see if we got any pitch black recently, I love that stuff.

I do remember the Gold Yoda cans, although I can't say I ever got one myself. I don't recall the fridge pack style packaging being quite that old, but it has been a few years... As for your particular situation, you must live in Florida... sounds like some real classy folks you were dealing with. :rolleyes:

I'll have to check to see if we got any pitch black recently, I love that stuff.

I do remember the Gold Yoda cans, although I can't say I ever got one myself. I don't recall the fridge pack style packaging being quite that old, but it has been a few years... As for your particular situation, you must live in Florida... sounds like some real classy folks you were dealing with. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking it was a 24 pack. It wasn't a fridge pack I don't think it just had the punch part that you use as a handle. And no I live in Texas lol you sound like you know florida is thieves from experience

• 3 months later...

If they make it with HFCS, there's no point to it. Either way, all of this stuff will murder your kidneys.

Aye, and to think how much soda I used to drink as a kid... if I have a few in a week, I tend to feel like I'm overdoing it anymore.

That said, if it is made with HFCS, then they can keep it in our collective memories. That was one aspect of the 90's that I'm not fond of, the switch over from sugar to HFCS in a lot of sodas...

I used to drink a lot of Fanta, 7Up and Coca Cola as a kid. They were cool. I didn't like Pepsi as much but started to drink it when they offered a videogame tips & trick collectible sticker album with it, I had to complete it! :)

Nowadays I'm cold turkey on sodas; me and my wife banned all food/drinks in our house which contain the chemical high fructose corn syrup for health reasons.

The only soda we drink on a blue moon is a Ginger Beer.

Nowadays I'm cold turkey on sodas; me and my wife banned all food/drinks in our house which contain the chemical high fructose corn syrup for health reasons.

The only soda we drink on a blue moon is a Ginger Beer.

That's admirable. Have tried to cut back on caffeine intake and HFCS myself, but the occasional Dew still perks me up. Can't stand coffee, so I'm kinda stuck in my ways I suppose.

That said, you can find a LOT of sodas that use cane sugar even to this day. Unfortunately it is usually a bit more expensive (aside from perhaps the throwback Mt Dew / Pepsi), but the taste is so much better. On the plus side, I'd rather drink something that is at least a natural substance, even if it isn't especially healthy...

That's admirable. Have tried to cut back on caffeine intake and HFCS myself, but the occasional Dew still perks me up. Can't stand coffee, so I'm kinda stuck in my ways I suppose.

That said, you can find a LOT of sodas that use cane sugar even to this day. Unfortunately it is usually a bit more expensive (aside from perhaps the throwback Mt Dew / Pepsi), but the taste is so much better. On the plus side, I'd rather drink something that is at least a natural substance, even if it isn't especially healthy...

I recently started to drink Ginseng tea to beat low energy levels instead of coffee, so far it seems to help.

Raw or Dry Roasted Nuts and seeds help too. Especially sunflower seeds, almonds and pecans. I always add some raisins to make it less dry and sometimes add some chocolate baking nuts in the mix. Sunflower seeds are only $2 for 16oz at trader joes. That's my main staple in a mix.

I had horrible experiences with energy drinks

I'm fairly caffeine tolerant, although I try to avoid it during the second half of a shift if I have to be up the next day. Don't usually drink it at all unless I'm dragging my feet for whatever sleep deprived reason.

That said, I don't recommend trying to drive 1000+ miles at unreasonable speed limits in one sitting, having consumed three or four cans of Amp along the way. You won't feel good the next day...

I think anyone in America in 1991 watching a 20 inch television at their grandmothers house on Sunday in between Wonderful World of Disney commercials on CBC would forever associate Van Halen's 1991 album number one single "Right Now" with new lead singer Sammy Hagar with the terrible soda pop crystal pepsi. It didn't taste the same as regular pepsi. It was close but not the same and it failed. Pepsi should have kept the wide mouths on their Big Slams but never did.

I remember watching Saturday Night Live this year with Chris Farley and they had a commercial that spoofed the Pepsi commercial. It was called Crystal Gravy.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x72e8y_gravy_shortfilms

• 2 weeks later...

I remember i was with my parents and my mom saw a bunch of cars and stands with the Pepsi logo and it was her idea to stop. Well the 3 of us took the crystal Pepsi challenge blindfolded and i chose correctly along with my dad. Well when it was my moms turn she kept picking the wrong one and twice the lady asked her if she was sure. My mom said yeah i don't really like the other one so they said well sorry and gave me and my dad each a credit card with the crystal Pepsi logo and in the back it had a bunch of places you could get a discount at like taco bell kfc etc. I felt bad about it so i offered her my card to make up for it.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope it sticks around a little longer, this time, I can't say that I'm a super fan, but I love when cool things make a come back. I watched the video for it, all those people trapped in the 90's (on whatever floor it was). It put a smile on my face. :)

• Retromags Curator

I think anyone in America in 1991 watching a 20 inch television at their grandmothers house on Sunday in between Wonderful World of Disney commercials on CBC would forever associate Van Halen's 1991 album number one single "Right Now" with new lead singer Sammy Hagar with the terrible soda pop crystal pepsi.

In all honesty, anytime I here "Right Now", the first thing that comes to my mind is Crystal Pepsi. And anytime Crystal Pepsi would pop into my head, so would that song.

Crystal Pepsi came out last month in Canada. July 11 to be exact. Got some the day it came out. Liquid gold, my friends, liquid gold! It's Pepsi without the terrible aftertaste it's had for the last 15 years.

And being in Canada, while our soft drinks have glucose-fructose - which is what HFCS is labeled as here - they also contain real sugar. So really, it's only half as bad for you ;)

Can anyone confirm whether US-bottled Crystal Pepsi is sweetened by sugar (as God and Ray Charles intended), or that awful HFCS crap?

sorry to report that it is indeed HFCS. still tastes pretty much like regular pepsi. draw your own conclusions.

sorry to report that it is indeed HFCS. still tastes pretty much like regular pepsi. draw your own conclusions.

Well I'll conclude that I won't be buying any then... regular pepsi tastes pretty awful due to the sticky teeth feeling you get after drinking it. Pepsi throwback on the other hand, made with sugar... that's a different story, that stuff is yummy.

Well I'll conclude that I won't be buying any then... regular pepsi tastes pretty awful due to the sticky teeth feeling you get after drinking it. Pepsi throwback on the other hand, made with sugar... that's a different story, that stuff is yummy.

i'm definitely a big fan of the Throwback stuff. i drink more Mt Dew than Pepsi, but when i have the choice i always grab the real sugar stuff.

that being said, i don't get that "sticky teeth" feeling with this Crystal Pepsi. i say give it a shot while you can. worst case scenario, you're out $1.79

Fair enough man, but if it tastes like regular pepsi, and throwback pepsi tastes better than 'regular' pepsi... other than the novelty of the lack of food coloring, what's the point? :P

Pepsi-Cola's caramel coloring has been flagged as a cancer agent in the state of California.  To the point where the CA recipe actually varies from most of the rest of the country to avoid a warning label.

So a lack of food coloring - that's a good first step.  Now all we need is Crystal Pepsi Throwback.  ;)

• Like 1