Do You Prefer To Play Retro Or Modern Games?

white-zombie

I'm just curious whether most of the people here play modern games as well as old ones.

Personally, I've not bought a 'current gen' console since the N64 in say '97.

I did get a PS2 last Christmas as there are so many good games for it, however.

I think the main reason is, that with hindsight, you have a really good idea of what games are good for a system.

Of course, the down side is that you generally don't play these games when they are cutting edge.

Having siad that, I only have about 4 games for the PS2, and don't play it that much since completing Resident Evil 4!

I'm happy with the new gen, but I still play mostly retro games. They're games that I can go back to, time and time again, even if I've beat them a lot. Sometimes I just feel like powering through a certain game and it's nice to have it handy. I can't really sit down and play today's games straight through. I think the last newer game I did that with was Prince of Persia: Sands of Time on PS2 with my best friend and his ex-g/f. I think that even took 8 hours.

I like to but rarely do. When I do play games, it's mostly modern FPS's. I'm sort of a binger. Sometimes I rarely play, then I can go on a gaming binge and play during any free time I have for 2-3 days. The past few years, almost any retro gaming I've done is trying different emulators out on my PSP. Due to various circumstances, my older consoles are boxed up again. I'm more about preserving the old games and culture rather than still living it.

I like to but rarely do. When I do play games, it's mostly modern FPS's. I'm sort of a binger. Sometimes I rarely play, then I can go on a gaming binge and play during any free time I have for 2-3 days. The past few years, almost any retro gaming I've done is trying different emulators out on my PSP. Due to various circumstances, my older consoles are boxed up again. I'm more about preserving the old games and culture rather than still living it.

What he said!!

I am almost exactly the same, I very rarely play modern videogames, and only sometimes play retro stuff, and then only via emulator on the PC.

However, I still like to read about videogames, and still read old PSOne magazines on and off.

About every couple of years I'll gett back into videogaming for about a few months.

• 1 month later...

I play mostly retro titles. I feel that the SNES probably has the best RPGs ever made so I still replay 7th Saga, Tales of Phantasia, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy etc. I am still playing all of the Dragon Warrior/Quest games on the NES. Dragon Warrior got me into RPGs and I have loved the genre ever since. I love the NES, SNES and GBA and so I play games from those systems. Of course I play modern games as well, but I absolutely love retro!!

I like both. At the moment I'm playing GTA 4 for the 360 and Desert Strike and Super Street Fighter 2 for the Mega Drive. I don't really prefer either modern or retro game's. If a game is fun I'll play it.

Speaking of GTA 4, when I first started playing it I really like it but after a while I got kind of bored with it. Now it's getting kind of interesting again due to the storyline. Every other GTA I've really liked but GTA 4 is kind of up and down.

When I had a Wii, this was fact.

I do not have a console ATM, but I do play retro games via "other" means. Arcade and SNES is what I play the most.

I'm quite happy playing Nes, Snes, N64 and Genesis games on my Wii. Even though it's the same game the video output of the Wii really enhances the quality of colors and sharpness of those games. That's why I've been investing in Virtual Console games.

I play a mix of both, depending on my state of mind, and on whether I'm planning on doing anything else at the time, and if so, what. Basically, if I need to multi-task, I tend to play RPGs, preferably ones with a turn-based battle system, and possibly less attention tracking on the actual environment. Thus retro RPGs work great for this (particularly grind-heavy ones.

• 4 weeks later...

Both depending on season. When it's too hot I like to play emulators on the laptop near the AC. Any other time of the year I'm playing modern stuff because I have an incredible backlog to take care of before playing the classics a second time. There's a lot of stuff I wish I had time to replay. Luckily not much time is spent online so when I finish a game I can put it on my shelf and move to the next. If I had back the years I spent on UT, I'd have enjoyed most of my games two or three times over.

• 3 weeks later...

I Prefer more of the Retro Video Games a few of the Modern Day Graphics Whore games, sometimes once in awhile. Kinda like keeping a healthy diet, its always good to go back to your "Roots" [Retro] but at the same time its good to have a little bit of unhealthy fast food [Modern Games], thats how i see it.