Handcuffed In A Police Car?

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator
What, some sort of hippie protest?

No, not really. It isn't something I'm terribly proud of, because I don't believe in using violence to solve problems, but it's in the past now. I was at a party a number of years ago where a girl got a more than a little intoxicated and revealed to some of us that her boyfriend at the time hit her every so often. A couple hours later, she was in bed and asleep when said boyfriend, also more than a little intoxicated himself, strolled into the apartment demanding to know where she was because it was time for him to pick her up and take her back to his place. I said, rather more curtly than I should have since I do not drink, that he could drive his own drunken butt home, but he wasn't taking her with him. He, assuming correctly that she was in one of the bedrooms, started down the hallway, and I promptly got in his way and told him that the only way he was going to touch her again was to go through me first.

He took it as an invitation, and by the time the police showed up (campus police respond very quickly to reports of people fighting on a Saturday night), the two of us were in the main apartment hallway, me holding my cheek and nose which got cut open and bloodied on his ring, and him holding his crotch and trying to catch his breath. Needless to say, the police took the attitude of "slap cuffs on everybody involved and get them down to the department for questioning while someone else takes witness stories" and so I wound up in the back of my very own squad car.

When they found out why the whole stupid thing started, I was let go and got the "That guy was drunk and outweighed you by 50 pounds, what the hell were you thinking?" lecture, followed up by the "You have a lot of guts, and we're glad you didn't get seriously hurt" talk. A few weeks later, several of us who had been at the party showed up in court to testify against him, including his now ex-girlfriend, and he wound up doing some time.

So there you have it, the whole stupid reason why Areala wound up cuffed in the back of a police car. No hippies involved. :)

*huggles*

Areala