The Wizard

Data

It was 1989, neon colors were in and the NES was at the prime of it's life. The Wizard was about a young boy named Jimmy who runs away with his older brother to get to California. They were headed to a Nintendo tournament when they met up with a girl who joined them on this quest. The movie is littered with Nintendo games, Playchoice arcades and Square's Rad Racer was played using the Power Glove. These kids got into all sorts of mayhem along the way but a great scene is where they called the Nintendo Power Hotline to get all the tips they could before this tournament. The final game at the tournament was Super Mario Brothers 3 which was the first time people had seen it.

If you like gaming movies then this one is a classic.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

It was 1989, neon colors were in and the NES was at the prime of it's life. The Wizard was about a young boy named Jimmy who runs away with his older brother to get to California. They were headed to a Nintendo tournament when they met up with a girl who joined them on this quest. The movie is littered with Nintendo games, Playchoice arcades and Square's Rad Racer was played using the Power Glove. These kids got into all sorts of mayhem along the way but a great scene is where they called the Nintendo Power Hotline to get all the tips they could before this tournament. The final game at the tournament was Super Mario Brothers 3 which was the first time people had seen it.

If you like gaming movies then this one is a classic.

I TOTALLY miss the game glove.

Yup I saw that movie opening day at the theatres. They gave out a pocket size version of Nintendo Power when you went too. Unfortunatly I lost mine years ago but thanks to Phillyman I was able to get one again. :D

I also bought the movie on DVD as soon as it came out. I don't care what anyone says I love that movie.

The Wizard just arrived today and I finished watching it about 20 minutes ago. My wife was even a little excited about it, saying she had seen it in the theater. She sat with me for about the first half, then wandered off to the laptop. There sure was a lot of family drama stuff I don't remember seeing, but then again that was about fifteen years ago.

My favorite quote besides "He touched my breast!", was from Lucas, when he said to one of his toady friends: "Shut up, dork-nose, and go get me a cold drink." I think we can officially blame this flick for the glut of game to movie conversion that followed over the following twenty years. All because we wanted to see Super Mario Bros. 3 in motion. Tsk, tsk.

I overlooked one of the major plot twists in my brief description. The little boy Jimmy was playing in the water and his twin sister drowned. That could be a good reason to take a hike from a family that doesn't give a crap abput you.

The way that stupid bully laughs and the look on Christian Slater's face is most amusing.

Why does Fred Savage carry a skateboard around? They only use it once and almost get struck by a semi.

One of my favorite songs is played when the kids hitch a ride with those bikers. Send Me An Angel by Real Life. This song was also played on the BMX movie Rad Racing and Heartland.

Did everyone see future Spider-Man himself, Tobey Maguire? I love watching old movies and trying to see someone who wasn't famous at the time.

Another good video game movie is Cloak and Dagger. Not as much about video games as The Wizard, but I really enjoyed that one. Good for me that they released a double-feature with both movies on 1 dvd a while back.