Games You'll Watch But Not Play

Sky10w10w

Are there any games you'll watch others play without playing yourself?

I can say this is true about myself with respect to Metal Gear Solid. I find MGS too difficult to control for me to play for extended sessions. In particular, I cannot get Snake to snap the necks of foes. Because my peers are able to do this, I enjoy watching them play MGS rather than playing it myself.

• 1 month later...

I would probably say most shooters. I have tried to get into the genre and it has been really difficult for me. There are too many buttons to push especially for the PC. This is partially why I prefer retro games, I do not wish to have to worry about ten different buttons to push or 20 for a PC game.

• 2 weeks later...

One game that I like to watch but never play much anymore is Tekken. Well not all of them, just the more recent one's. I really liked the first three which I played quite a bit on my Playstation. These game's built on what had come before and made definite improvement's in graphic's, gameplay and feature's with each new release.

However from Tekken Tag Tournament on, I kind of lost interest in the series. Each new game looked great but was just too similar for me in terms of gameplay. I was at an arcade a few day's ago and passed a Tekken 6 cabinet. It looked really good so I sat down and put my one euro coin into the slot. Three round's into the game I was getting a little bored as I realised this was still the same old Tekken with no real change's. I'm sure there are million's of Tekken fan's who love the game as it is and don't want any significant change's but for me it's become too stale.

The game does look great though and I do like watching it being played. :)

I don't know if that really counts, since I like to play it (and a lot),

but in the last few years all I did was to watch Quake World match replays.

For me it like wathing a soccer match: I have my favorite team and watch

them play throughout the whole season

And for all my other watch and not play needs I have speed demos archive :)

• Retromags Curator

I am an enormous sucker for watching speed demos or complete playthroughs of games by extremely good players. The people who take the time to execute a "perfect" no damage/no death run on a game like Doom 3 or Battletoads just blows me away, because as good a player as I am, I have nowhere near the kind of skill to pull something like that off any more. The last time I put enough time into learning a game like that was with Mega Man 2 on the NES, and I'm not sure I could even still do it to this day. Getting through Quick Man's stage without using the Time Stopper on the beams, though, was always a proud accomplishment for me, but of course as soon as I did it my brother figured out how to do it too, and somewhere on a VHS tape he's got the recording of his no-death playthrough. The bastard. ;)

*huggles*

Areala

• 8 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator
On 07/10/2017 at 11:33 PM, GameReader said:

DDR (series)

Kirby (series)

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

Ninja Gaiden (Xbox)

Resident Evil (original trilogy)

Kirby is one of the only series I am still interested in playing. The last game I bought was Planet Robobot, and that was the first game I had purchased in a while. I think what appeals to me is that they are fairly easy games, so I don't get frustrated playing the same parts over and over. But even though they are easy, they're still lots of fun.