• Streets of Rage Genesis
    • Streets of Rage 2 Genesis
    • Streets of Rage 3 Genesis
    • Golden Axe 3 Genesis
    • Golden Axe 2 Genesis
    • Golden Axe Genesis
    • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4 SNES
    • Battletoads NES

Add any I missed, I know theres alot more that have been remade for newer consoles but I'm trying to limit this to pre Street Figter days.

This is a pretty good selection to choose from.

I think my favourite beat-em up may be Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder (Arcade), which was never ported to home consoles. The Capcom beat-em up Alien vs Predator is also very good.

Streets of Rage 2 is so good that it convinced me to get a Genesis instead of a SNES in the mid-1990s. Its sequel is good too, but the Japanese version of the game (Bare Knuckle 3) is superior to the North American version since Sega of Japan didn't censor it.

Sooo many good choices. It's neat to see I chose the three most popular. I'm in the cool crowd, mommy!

RCR had to be one. Just look at my avatar. Double Dragon II has offered me endless fun, I play this game at least once every couple weeks. Streets of Rage II is just awesome. I love the music, too. Actually, the music in all three of these games rules!

I don't like TMNT4 nearly as much as I like Hyperstone Heist, so I didn't vote for it. There's just something I like a lot better about HH on Genesis. Graphics, levels, something. Maybe all of it.

• 2 weeks later...

After all these years I'd still have to go with Final Fight. Such a classic and the game that got me back into games and sold me a MegaDrive (don't ask :P ) when I was around 14-15 years old and thought I was too cool to be playing games.

The MegaDrive thing was because my friend at the time told me when we played Final Fight at the yearly fare that it was out on that system.

So naturally I saved up for the system and Final Fight never arrived on it until the Mega CD was released, but i only got that many years later.

I did get Streets of Rage which we played for a long time until the early hours of the night. Such an incredible game.

But still Final Fight has something all the others lack, even though it's so straight forward.

And since the arcade version isn't on there, I picked the next best thing: the Sega CD one.

Final fight One on the GBA is awesome as well though. :)

I think the thing that Final Fight has over most other scrolling fighting games like it is that it really "feels" right.  It feels like you are connecting with those punches and attacks.  Other games mostly feel like you are simple hitting paper mache figures, there is no tactile response onscreen so to speak.  It is hard to explain.

Yeah, both of those D&D themed arcade games by Capcom fall in the beat em up category. ?Night Slashers is pretty cool too, don't find many people that know about it.

Those games were good. I loved fighting the dragons. But it was very difficult.

• 3 weeks later...

TMNT Hyperstone Heist for the Mega Drive is one of my favourite Beat Em up's. It may not look quite as good as TMNT Turtles In Time for the Snes and it may not be as long but this is the version that I had back in the day and I had a lot of fun with it.

I allway's liked Final Fight for the Snes too. I know the lack of 2 player co-op was unforgivable and a whole level missing plus the ommission of character's like Rolento really didn't do the game any favour's. But at the time I wasn't that aware of the Arcade version so these huge difference's plus the fact that only two of the 3 main character's were available in the game didn't really affect me. All I experienced was an amazing looking game that was a lot of fun to play. Me and a buddy of mine would take it in turns to see who could get farthest into the game and then later on we would see who could get through the game the quickest.

I've also played Final fight One on the GBA and that is a great version of the game. Hopefully some day I will get a chance to play the SEGA CD version of the game.

• 2 years later...

I know RCR is royalty and all, but seriously, FF3 is completely underrated and the best entry in the series. Guy is absolute killer and you can chain the rush (double forward), attack, and finish off with a fireball that takes off half of the enemy's life. Haggar is pretty awesome in the game too. There are multiple passages if you break the wall at the beginning of the background to ensure some re-playability. Check it out if you get a chance.

Streets of rage 2 is fantastic, and it's balanced than the other entries. TMNT4 for SNES is one of my alltime favorites. Using Raphael (because of his speed), you can try to throw every foot solider onto the screen to get the maximum of 3 points per kill to increase your score.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It has to be Streets of Rage 2 for me. From the characters and weapons, to the music and levels/backgrounds, everything mixed perfectly to make one of the greatest beat em ups of all time in my opinion. I still love the soundtrack for the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Add any I missed, I know theres alot more that have been remade for newer consoles but I'm trying to limit this to pre Street Figter days.

As a fan of the genre, may I say that your list is way incomplete. You got to add, at least (in no particular order):

- Peace Keepers (Rush and Beat 3, or something like that in Japan)

- TMNT (arcade and the NES's)

- The D&D games (arcade)

- Vendetta (arcade)

- Captain Comando (arcade, SNES)

- Punisher (arcade)

- Armored Warriors (arcade)

- Double Dragon 3 (NES)

- Alien vs Predator (arcade)

- Sonic Blastman (SNES)

If you have not done so, play Peace Keepers (or the Japanese version, which is even better). After playing once, it is probably a good idea to read a FAQ and learn that you can make the game even better by using Street Fighter like movements (like the Haduken motion when throwing opponents) and also trigger the main character "pissed of" mode. PK is easily one of the best of beat em ups of all times.

Since we are talking about the SNES, please add "Turtles in Time" to TMNT 4. Make that title complete. TIT is the best TMNT game out there, specially the SNES version. If I am not mistaken, Hyperstone Heist for the Mega Drive was very similar, but not on the same league.

Nice touch by adding Super Double Dragon to the list. I thought I was the only one who had ever played it. Easy game, but very cool. How many beat em ups you know where you could not only defend, but actually counter the enemy after grabbing a punch? And the counters were great!

Honorable mention to Simpsons (arcade) and also to Combatribes (arcade and SNES). This last one is pretty fun if you have unlimited quartes to spend on it.

And those are only from the top of my head. I will help you adding more if I remember something else.

• 2 months later...