What Is Your Favourite Point-&-click Adventure?

Sky10w10w

Talk about your favourite Point-&-Click Adventure and why it is your favourite.

I'm a big fan of the Point-&-Click Adventure game genre, so singling out a particular game isn't easy.

I absolutely loved Phantasmagoria: A Puzzle of Flesh for its (mature) plot, but for an adventure game, it was limited in terms of how much you could interact with your environment. Specifically, you couldn't click on inanimate objects and prompt the game to give you metaphysical descriptions (an entertaining feature of nearly every game in the genre before the original Phantasmagoria).

So given the limitations of Phantasmagoria: A Puzzle of Flesh, I'd say my favourite Point-&-Click Adventure game is probably The Uninvited for the NES. I love the game's atmosphere, and although the NES version is slightly censored, I prefer it over the PC port because of it includes haunting music (the PC port lacked background music). I have fond memories playing The Uninvited; my friend and I collaborated in mapping out the game and overcoming its puzzles.

I like the ICOM Simulations adventure titles too. They were different and all had unique stories for the most part, even though they used the same engine.

Got time to help me out with a problem in Uninvited? I am stuck at the 3 buildings area outside and have explored everywhere I can inside. Got any tips?

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade the graphic adventure on the Commodore Amiga is probably my favourite point and click game. Great graphics, great puzzles and a lot of humour made for a great game. All the disc swapping was a bit of a pain though.

Broken Sword on the Playstation was a lot of fun too.

Got time to help me out with a problem in Uninvited? I am stuck at the 3 buildings area outside and have explored everywhere I can inside. Got any tips?

I haven't played the game in several years, but I'll try to help out.

When you say 3 buildings, you're talking about those that can be accessed once you access the backyard via the trophy room, right? If I recall, the 3 buildings were a chapel, a greenhouse, and a laboratory or something of the sort. First, you should mess around in the greenhouse (hint: try to 'resurrect' organic matter, as this will come in handy for the future). Next, you want to make your way into the chapel, where the gypsy doll you got from within the mansion will play a role in revealing a secret passage (remember what you learned when you first discovered the gypsy doll?).

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade the graphic adventure on the Commodore Amiga is probably my favourite point and click game. Great graphics, great puzzles and a lot of humour made for a great game. All the disc swapping was a bit of a pain though.

I think I played that for the PC (MS-DOS), although I'm not sure if it is the same game you played. Either way, it was an adventure game that I really enjoyed. Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis is an adventure game which is also very good, but I don't like it as much as The Last Crusade since I haven't been able to overcome many of its puzzles.

I think I played Indy and the Fate of Atlantis as well but on the Amiga. I'm not sure if it's the same game that you played but it may well be, because I remember some of the puzzles were really hard. The game looked really good and was a lot of fun and then I got to a point in the game where Indy was in a jungle and had to cross a ravine or something and no matter what I tried I could not figure out what I had to do to progress. Good game though.

I haven't played the game in several years, but I'll try to help out.

When you say 3 buildings, you're talking about those that can be accessed once you access the backyard via the trophy room, right? If I recall, the 3 buildings were a chapel, a greenhouse, and a laboratory or something of the sort. First, you should mess around in the greenhouse (hint: try to 'resurrect' organic matter, as this will come in handy for the future). Next, you want to make your way into the chapel, where the gypsy doll you got from within the mansion will play a role in revealing a secret passage (remember what you learned when you first discovered the gypsy doll?).

That is the three buildings, thanks Sky, the chapel and the doll are my problem. I didn't know to use it in some way there. I will try it out here in a bit. I have already watered the plant in the green house and it started growing so I think I have that covered so far.

That is the three buildings, thanks Sky, the chapel and the doll are my problem. I didn't know to use it in some way there. I will try it out here in a bit. I have already watered the plant in the green house and it started growing so I think I have that covered so far.

What port of the game are you playing? NES / Windows / MS-DOS / Other? The solution for proceeding through the chapel may differ depending on which port you are playing (in the Windows port, you are expected to manually type out spells you wish to cast, whereas in the other ports, you simply select spells from a menu).

What port of the game are you playing? NES / Windows / MS-DOS / Other? The solution for proceeding through the chapel may differ depending on which port you are playing (in the Windows port, you are expected to manually type out spells you wish to cast, whereas in the other ports, you simply select spells from a menu).

I am playing on the NES.

Okay, so if you have the doll and you've 'interacted' with it properly (try all of your standard commands), you should have a spell that will allow you to progress once in the chapel.

Thank you very much. I will try it out (TV is currently tied up watching Warehouse 13 on sci-fi).

My fave point and click adventure ever has to be Blade Runner (based on one of my fave films). Close runner ups must include Beneath a Steel Sky and Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders. Yeah, there's a definite sci-fi element to these games, which can't be a coincidence. Additionaly, the adventure games that I gravitate towards all have a superb plot with great twists and surprises, interesting lead characters, engaging NPCs, and, most importantly, satisfying gameplay.

Triverse I go hung up at the same point in Uninvited. I never did figure it out and sometimes I don't like checking FAQs. :P I haven't picked that game back up yet, I kinda lost track...

I like the ICOM games too and Maniac Mansion.

Other than that I haven't played much, unless stuff like Kings and Space Quest are in that genre? What about Snatcher? or are those totally different?

Triverse I go hung up at the same point in Uninvited. I never did figure it out and sometimes I don't like checking FAQs. :P I haven't picked that game back up yet, I kinda lost track...

I like the ICOM games too and Maniac Mansion.

Other than that I haven't played much, unless stuff like Kings and Space Quest are in that genre? What about Snatcher? or are those totally different?

Snatcher totally counts I think. So do the others.

I am replaying Uninvited and somehow have two dolls (one is a voodoo doll).

• Retromags Curator

I loved Scratches. The classic point-and-clicks are all well and good, but Scratches managed to freak the heck out of me despite knowing that you couldn't even die in the game. THAT takes some atmosphere, and Scratches had it in spades.

*huggles*

Areala

I just remembered playing a Scooby Doo point and click game for the Mega Drive which was a lot of fun.

I think it was released fairly late into the life of the Mega Drive so I don't know if many people know of it, but I remember it looked great, just like the cartoon and it had two different story's to play through.

Some of the puzzles were a little obscure if I remember correctly but still a great game. :)

I just remembered playing a Scooby Doo point and click game for the Mega Drive which was a lot of fun.

I think it was released fairly late into the life of the Mega Drive so I don't know if many people know of it, but I remember it looked great, just like the cartoon and it had two different story's to play through.

Some of the puzzles were a little obscure if I remember correctly but still a great game. :)

I remember playing Scooby Doo Mystery on Genesis. I ended up getting stuck but I think it's time to try again. This time with the help of a F.A.Q.

Another one I remember enjoying was Stupid Invaders on Dreamcast. I beat that one.

Man I wish I had the help of the Web when I was playing Scooby Doo on the Mega Drive, it would have really helped.

I didn't buy a Dreamcast back in the day but I allways read about the games comming out for it in the video game mags. I didn't realize there were any point and click games for the system.

Now I wish I had bought a Dreamcast, just for the handful of great first party Sega games. But instead I bought a Playstation 2 which was a lot of fun too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hm. My favorite? That is a toughie.

Most recently, it is Cyberia. I love the story and puzzles!

Throughout the years, though, the Monkey Island series has been a staple. Loom, Full Throttle, the Maniac Mansion series and Sam & Max. Indiana Jones games also. They bring back a lot of good memories. The Myst series of games also.

The Leisure Suit Larry, Hero Quest, Space Quest, and King's Quest series... Willy Beamish.

The Shadowgate series also. Especially Beyond Shadowgate for the Turbo CD. Uninvited. Deja Vu. Wow, I haven't played these in a long time!

Those are the ones that come to mind right now. I've played a lot!

And has anyone tried Peggle Nights?  I used to have a computer set up on the kitchen table so I could play Peggle Nights.  Great game to play when your waiting for something like food in the oven.

I had to stop playing games on the computer after realizing that I was more than slightly addicted to Peggle (so simple).  Great game though.  Never thought about putting a computer on the kitchen table (would be a great idea as every computer I have is networked, we could watch stuff from my home made DVR right there, go into the living room and continue where we left off and finish watching the show laying in bed).

I had to stop playing games on the computer after realizing that I was more than slightly addicted to Peggle (so simple).  Great game though.  Never thought about putting a computer on the kitchen table (would be a great idea as every computer I have is networked, we could watch stuff from my home made DVR right there, go into the living room and continue where we left off and finish watching the show laying in bed).

I went ahead and did that. The next thing you know you will be replacing all of your computer screens with high def monitors because you want to up the quality so it is all the same. Nothing sucks more then watching something in one room, then going to the next only to realize the quality isn't the same and having to move back.

That is what I am worried about. I already experience a similar problem in the fact that my hardware is kind of older and not new by any means and it shows when doing something on one that is taxing it, makes me want to play on the better of the bunch more.

As far as point and click games though, there is a new one called Machinarium coming out in October. I have a preview of it going up at UNG, I will post a link when it is live.

Here is the preview I posted on UnNamedGaming.