Most Overhyped Game Ever?

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

What video game got a ton of press and then when it was finally released.....it did not live up to its expectations? I think Halo 3 was one of the worse offenders of this.....I played over 6000 Halo 2 online matches the first year it came out. When I got Halo 3.....I got bored soo quickly. They killed the shotgun and the rockets in my opinion. I mean Halo 2 rockets were fantastic, homing and strong.....but then Halo 3 decided to split it into 2 separate weapons and I have not been able to overlook that.

What video game got a ton of press and then when it was finally released.....it did not live up to its expectations? I think Halo 3 was one of the worse offenders of this.....I played over 6000 Halo 2 online matches the first year it came out. When I got Halo 3.....I got bored soo quickly. They killed the shotgun and the rockets in my opinion. I mean Halo 2 rockets were fantastic, homing and strong.....but then Halo 3 decided to split it into 2 separate weapons and I have not been able to overlook that.

Enter the Matrix

I mean the game wasn't even playable. After about the third level you had an 80% chance the game would just freeze...forever. Not to mention it was a overhyped game based on the second matrix (which was by far the worse) and you got to play a character that no one really cared about. QED.

The entire Halo series is terribly overhyped / overrated. Don't get me wrong, the games are good, but the level of praise and hype they've received is ridiculous as far as I'm concerned. As great as the enemy's AI is, Halo 1 & 2 are plagued by mostly horrible level design. The Halo games certainly have their qualities and innovative contributions, but they are too seriously flawed to deserve the hype / praise / attention they've received from the press and gamers alike.

OHHH Enter the Matrix WAS playable! It was HILARIOUS to see Neo get thrown around like a ragdoll and all kinds of glitches in the game! That was the ONLY reason my friend and I powered through that game, we were rollin!!

Halo is way overhyped. Hell, most FPS games are. What is the big draw about it? I never really bought into that, especially trying to play along with the other jerks who play it online, bunch of foul-mouthed kids. I've had fun playing FPS with my friends but online is too damn annoying. Plus I suck compared to everyone else online. ;P

What else... DAIKATANA! There was no way that John Romero made me his bitch with that game.

• 5 weeks later...

Final Fantasy VII. It was good, but it wasn't as good as everyone thinks they remember it being. VIII and IX were much better, IX probably being my favourite of the three.

VII was totally hyped...but for that one didn't the hype really start AFTER it was released. It was kind of wierd. It was almost like 3/4 of the universe had never played a Final Fantasy game before. I remember a little while after it came out, it was all you ever heard about. Even now (before the PSN release) the original discs were selling for crazy money on Ebay.

Final Fantasy VII. It was good, but it wasn't as good as everyone thinks they remember it being. VIII and IX were much better, IX probably being my favourite of the three.

yes, I agree. its time for Final Fantasy VII fanboys to let it go. It was a fun game, but not the "b3st g4me 3vars"

I thought The Getaway for the Ps2 was a pretty Overhyped game. Yes it has it's good point's. The London location was a nice change from other game's of the time and I liked the movie type opening credit's sequence which had some brilliant music.

I remember it had a lot of favourable preview coverage from the video game magazine's in my part of the world and Sony were hyping it up a lot too. However when I got the game, I found that the control's were pretty bad and it in no way lived up to all the hype.

I have to agree with you e-day, while FFVII was a major graphics breakthrough for the series, the game itself was not great. There were way too many flaws for it to be great, the biggest flaw being the incomprehensible storyline. The story itself did not make a whole lot of sense.