Least Favorite Game Genres?

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

What is your least favorite game genres? Myself I really cant get into sports games, the last one I ever really got into was NHL Stanley Cup for the Super Nintendo. I just never could get into ANY of the sports games, I also tend to hate realistic driving games. I love to play Mario Kart, Burnout, RidgeRacer and Wipeout....but I lose interest in games like Gran Turismo. I also tend to stay away from games like World of Warcraft, but I will make an exception when Diablo 3 comes out B)

You sound like me. I too can't stand sports games. The more 'arcadey' kinds I can play, like the old Blitz games, SSX, or Punch-out (if that counts). But once you get into more of a simulation it all goes downhill. Same with racing games. I used to play Turismo but after part 3 there was too much of a focus on tuning your car and passing the tests, neither of which I care to do.

I can't stand console FPS's. Like them on PC, hate how bad analog sticks are compared to M/KB. MMO's feel like glorified chatrooms to me, not games. The reason people play them is just to hang out and talk to friends. Fighters are pretty lame, there's too much memorization required to enjoy them, the only exception for me was Soul Calibur. And one more I used to enjoy but not so much these days are RTS's. I did find Red Alert 3 cheap for PS3 so maybe I can get back into them.

• Like 1

What is your least favorite game genres? Myself I really cant get into sports games, the last one I ever really got into was NHL Stanley Cup for the Super Nintendo. I just never could get into ANY of the sports games, I also tend to hate realistic driving games. I love to play Mario Kart, Burnout, RidgeRacer and Wipeout....but I lose interest in games like Gran Turismo. I also tend to stay away from games like World of Warcraft, but I will make an exception when Diablo 3 comes out B)

I generally feel the same way that you do.

I do not like realistic driving / racing games, but enjoy RC Pro AM, Mario Kart, Rock & Roll Racing, and Death Rally.

The only sports games I care to play are hockey games. I like wrestling, but most wrestling games are terrible, IMO. My favourite wrestling game is Muscle Bomber Duo (the sequel to Saturday Night Slammasters) because it plays like a beat-em up.

I do not care for games that can only be played online (especially when you have to pay to play them). Admittedly, I do like playing Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament against bots, but I would never have picked up such games if they could only be played online.

I do not enjoy console-style RPGs like Final Fantasy and Pokemon. My main gripe with them is that absolutely no strategy is involved when you engage in combat (you can literally win battles with your eyes closed by simply clicking 'attack' over and over and over). I wouldn't mind how monotonous combat is if it was a minor part of the games, but most console-style RPGs feature way too much mindless combat. I much prefer PC-style RPGs like Fallout, where you need to use your brain in order to win battles. In my opinion, even Diablo beats and console-style RPG since you need to be alert and use your reflexes in order to win battles.

Fighters are pretty lame, there's too much memorization required to enjoy them.

I disagree. Most fighting games feature special moves which are executed by inputting commands which are almost universal across games. They typically go as follows:

Down, forward, attack

Down, away, attack

Away, down, attack

Forward, down, attack

Forward, down, forward, attack

Away, down, away, attack

Hold away for 2 seconds, forward + attack

Hold down for 2 seconds, up + attack

Once you get the hang of those commands, pulling off special moves in the midst of a fight feels like second nature.

I like fighting games. Street Fighter II and on involves strategy against more skilled players or computer levels, same with KoF series.

I also like console RPGs, but I CANNOT STAND RANDOM BATTLES. I don't like a ton of fights in console RPGs, it takes my mind off the story too much. I also like when the games incorporate battles which are nothing but strategy and have a point to them, like a special weapon or item from winning the fight.

Anyways, on to what I DON'T like. From the 16-bit era on, I don't like most of the SPORTS games. I make exceptions for some wrestling games, Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball, NHL 98 on PS1, NBA JAM and skating/snowboarding games. Basically, I like the more cartoony or arcade-style sports games. Wii Sports is endless fun to me, too. But THOSE DAMN MADDEN GAMES. ARRRRRRRRRGH END IT! It's as bad as real football! I think if you're gonna play a sports game, just go out and PLAY THE SPORT OUTSIDE WTF!!??

I'm not big on most strategy games unless its WarCraft, Starcraft, C&C, Advance Wars or a very few select others. It's too slow-paced for me. I don't really like to think things ahead that much, either.

Wierd games, like Zoop and The Ooze. Uhhhhhhh.. just no. Why make games like that? I always hated wasting my one weekly allowed rental from my parents on a piece of CHUD game like those! I remember taking Zoop back with my best friend and demanding a new game because we hated it so much! Zoop!? More like POOP!

It sounds bad, rude, and spiteful, but in the PS1 era, if we hated a game, we would just throw it across the room or bite it! Then we'd return it to the store saying it wouldn't play and we wanted a new game! Immature, I know, but it happens when you get 13 yr old boys together, hyped up on candy, pizza and a shitty video game. Trust me when I say we never did it to any games that DIDN'T deserve it!! It's not like we ripped some poor kid off, we probably saved him or his mom $5!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh god...I am going to get the crap flamed out of me for this one but...RPG. I don't know if they arejust to time consuming or if I just have a hard time getting into them. I have tried. I want to liek them so badly I really do. I know by not playing them I am missing out on so many good games!

Oh god...I am going to get the crap flamed out of me for this one but...RPG. I don't know if they arejust to time consuming or if I just have a hard time getting into them. I have tried. I want to liek them so badly I really do. I know by not playing them I am missing out on so many good games!

Your not going to get flamed here. We all try to be respectful of others opinions and as long as no one is being absolutely idiotic with their keyboard, they are cool. Speak your mind and don't worry.

I can't stand sports games. I was never a sports person growing up and I have tried to watch sports on TV or get into them at live events but the commercialization of it all is just ruining it for me (come on, a 1 hour football game is strung out to something like 2 1/2 to 3 hours on television? Really?).

I do like wrestling games though for the most part, that began and ended on Pro Wrestling on NES, but I have found some fun with the newer ones, not much, but some.

I am getting into the "character" side scrollers again (like Mr. Nutz and Radical Rex, yea, I am getting into the more obscure stuff, not just the "hits").

Actually, it is really down to personal preference. If you don't like a genre, you don't like it. There's nothing wrong with that. ^_^

My least favorite genres are Sports (baa!) and fighting games. There are some games that I like in those genres, but they are my least favorite.

Most strategy games, especially those that involve micromanagement. Many of these "games" seem more like work. I do however, like older strategy games like Heroes of Might and Magic and the 'Age of ...' series.

I really want to like Flight Simulators but can't get into them anymore. This is odd because my first disk based game I bought when I was a kid was Sublogic's Flight Simulator II.

While I am a huge fan of western RPGs, I cannot stand Japanese RPGs.

Other then that I don't like games that you take care of pets and crap.

Most strategy games, especially those that involve micromanagement. Many of these "games" seem more like work. I do however, like older strategy games like Heroes of Might and Magic and the 'Age of ...' series.

I really want to like Flight Simulators but can't get into them anymore. This is odd because my first disk based game I bought when I was a kid was Sublogic's Flight Simulator II.

While I am a huge fan of western RPGs, I cannot stand Japanese RPGs.

Other then that I don't like games that you take care of pets and crap.

From the sounds of it, you are pro action/adventure but nothing that requires lots of reading or resource management. I always found that Age of required quite a bit of micromanagement (and reading what each new unit does). Maybe you are a closet RTS player :P

From the sounds of it, you are pro action/adventure but nothing that requires lots of reading or resource management. I always found that Age of required quite a bit of micromanagement (and reading what each new unit does). Maybe you are a closet RTS player :P

Perhaps I should re-attempt to get into RTS, I did like Command and Conquer: Tiberian Wars.

It seem's like there's not a lot of love for sport's game's, judging from what I've read so far on this topic but I actually kind of like them.

My least favourite game genre is R.T.S. games. Whether it's because originally they were so associated with P.C's and I was more a console guy I don't know, but anyway I never really got into them. All of that resource management etc. just seemed like hard work to me. Maybe I should check out a few R.T.S. game's for my Xbox 360 to see if the genre has changed or improved any, but to be honest I can't think of any decent examples on the 360.

Another genre that I don't like that much is puzzle games with the exception of course being Tetris, which is so addictive. The crack cocaine of video game puzzler's. :D

The only RTS game that I ever fell in love with was Dune 2 on the MegaDrive.

Still haven't found another one that I liked so much. Although Starcraft seems to come close.

Perhaps I'm gonna have to hunt down a copy soon that runs on OS X.

oh and sign me up for the sports game hate camp. Anything but crazy stuff like Mario Strikers or Mutant League Hockey I don't care for. Unless it's Wii Sports, but that's a whole different beast.