What Else Do You Scan?

Guest s1500

Guest s1500

What else do you people scan in besides gaming magazines? I have done, do, or will do(for my own amusement)...

MINI Cooper marketing swag (I have a ton, and my mom just gave me more)

Roller Derby trading cards(I have 3 sets)

Roller derby program flyers(the covers for their artwork)

..buncha TI-99/4A stuff I got when I bought a system a few weeks back.

A carburetor manual from 1971 my mom gave me. I de-stapled it for ez scanning. 2 color threshold as it was published made for a breeze scanning.

Album covers from the early 1980s - Lots of clone brush cleanup work, but fun.

So many things we can put into the digital fold.

One thing I've done when I was converting all my House, Trance and Techno CDs from the 80s, 90s to MP3s was scan in the covers and booklets to keep inside the folders. Now that iTunes for instance allows you to include images into the MP3s that's come quite handy.

Especially since there were lots and lots of very rare CDs in there which you'll never find online. :)

Been thinking about scanning Japanese manuals since they are so beautiful compared to the European manuals we get.

The only problem is that it would take a lot of time and work and I really want to get back to scanning and editing magazines as quickly as possible.

• Retromags Curator
One thing I've done when I was converting all my House, Trance and Techno CDs from the 80s, 90s to MP3s was scan in the covers and booklets to keep inside the folders. Now that iTunes for instance allows you to include images into the MP3s that's come quite handy.

Especially since there were lots and lots of very rare CDs in there which you'll never find online. :)

Been thinking about scanning Japanese manuals since they are so beautiful compared to the European manuals we get.

The only problem is that it would take a lot of time and work and I really want to get back to scanning and editing magazines as quickly as possible.

You really should use flac, ape, or even wav. MP3s are absolutely terrible unless you listen to music solely on an mp3 player with ear bud headphones. :)

You really should use flac, ape, or even wav. MP3s are absolutely terrible unless you listen to music solely on an mp3 player with ear bud headphones. :)

He never mentioned what bitrate he encoded the tracks. If he used lame mp3 encoder with variable bitrate v0 at 320 thousand bits per second at 48,000 hertz, nobody can tell the difference between the original cd or this digital file.

Editing mp3's is a snap. You can open them with for example, Nero Wave Editor and zoom in or out, cut & paste, and save it back to a new file with various extensions.

Wave files fills up hard drives too fast unnecessarily when what he really wants is to play all of his music back while he does other things with his PC.

Flac won't play on Virtual DJ and many other popular sound players.

Guest s1500

I've done some vinyl ripping to MP3, but wow is it a daunting process. These are albums that have never been found on Soulseek that have been largely forgotten. Good post-punk & new wave.

From a lot of the things I bought in Japan, I've been tempted to scan in the instruction manuals/catalogs, etc. Why? Even though I can't read Japanese, their layout of text & graphics is so beautiful. I especially like how they do it for video game related items and toys.

Nothing. I think if I had a Sears toy mag from the 80's, I might scan that section. I've been big into music and cars and have old mags relating to both but for some reason, it's not such a big deal to me. I think it's that with the digital age, we are seeing the first simulations of man's and other animals' mind and body along with artificial intelligence, even though crude, in its early form. I think early videogames and computers are a very important part of history, not just my own, and I feel in some way that it's important to preserve that. I guess it's the same way with early art. Man's early interpretations of himself and others is preserved in it.

He never mentioned what bitrate he encoded the tracks. If he used lame mp3 encoder with variable bitrate v0 at 320 thousand bits per second at 48,000 hertz, nobody can tell the difference between the original cd or this digital file.

Editing mp3's is a snap. You can open them with for example, Nero Wave Editor and zoom in or out, cut & paste, and save it back to a new file with various extensions.

Wave files fills up hard drives too fast unnecessarily when what he really wants is to play all of his music back while he does other things with his PC.

Flac won't play on Virtual DJ and many other popular sound players.

Unless you have a $5K sound system setup or $500 headphones, you aren't going to be able to notice much difference, if any. Because I listen to music all over the place, mp3 at 320 is the best trade off. MP3s can't be beat for flexibility. I equate the difference between flac & 320 mp3 like that of JPEG 9 vs JPEG 10. Sure mathematically there is a difference, but if you ask most people, they can't tell, so why bother.

• Retromags Curator
Unless you have a $5K sound system setup or $500 headphones, you aren't going to be able to notice much difference, if any. Because I listen to music all over the place, mp3 at 320 is the best trade off. MP3s can't be beat for flexibility. I equate the difference between flac & 320 mp3 like that of JPEG 9 vs JPEG 10. Sure mathematically there is a difference, but if you ask most people, they can't tell, so why bother.

No. Listening to the same song 320 mp3 and a flac file, I can tell the difference. And that is only on $70 Logitech speakers. They sound even worse on my $200 home theatre in a box. And once I connect new home theatre...well, I'm afraid. So I started buying CDs again, and will probably ripping them into wavs, as well as decompressing the flac and ape files I have.

If DVD Audio was more popular, or even SACD, I wouldn't even download mp3s anymore. Though for my mp3 player, they work just fine :)

• Downvote 1

No. Listening to the same song 320 mp3 and a flac file, I can tell the difference. And that is only on $70 Logitech speakers. They sound even worse on my $200 home theatre in a box. And once I connect new home theatre...well, I'm afraid. So I started buying CDs again, and will probably ripping them into wavs, as well as decompressing the flac and ape files I have.

If DVD Audio was more popular, or even SACD, I wouldn't even download mp3s anymore. Though for my mp3 player, they work just fine :)

What do you think about the idea of CD's being phased out for high bitrate MP3's that are sold on a band's homepage?

I agree that there is a mathematical difference, but you are definitely in the small minority of people who can tell. They have done tests with 192 vs 256 and most can't even tell tell the difference then. I feel just fine with 320 :)

• Retromags Curator
What do you think about the idea of CD's being phased out for high bitrate MP3's that are sold on a band's homepage?

That is when I will stop buying new music. mp3s don't go higher than 320, and if you have a half decent sound system, it's simply not good enough.

I agree that there is a mathematical difference, but you are definitely in the small minority of people who can tell. They have done tests with 192 vs 256 and most can't even tell tell the difference then. I feel just fine with 320 :)

I can't really tell the difference between 192, 256, and 320. But between all of those and flac/ape/wav, I can definitely tell.

• Downvote 1

For the record I always used EAC at a VBR of 256. After playing around with all the different settings and various different formats at the time, I came to the conclusion that a VBR at 256 was good enough for me not to hear any difference between the original CD and the MP3s.

This is all electronic music mind, going from New Beat to chillout and minimalistic techno, so perhaps the rules of encoding these kinds of music differer from encoding Celine Dion CDs. :P

For the record I always used EAC at a VBR of 256. After playing around with all the different settings and various different formats at the time, I came to the conclusion that a VBR at 256 was good enough for me not to hear any difference between the original CD and the MP3s.

This is all electronic music mind, going from New Beat to chillout and minimalistic techno, so perhaps the rules of encoding these kinds of music differer from encoding Celine Dion CDs. :P

If a CD which was originally recorded with 24 bit technology such as Celine Dion, then ripped and encoded at 256 thousand bits per second you lose some of the mid to high frequency. The bass doesn't get changed much. 128 Kbps is unacceptable to today's standards. I have found my middle ground at 320 Kbps. I don't believe you need to spend alot of money to get ~good~ sound.

I use a Creative Audigy 4 sound card in my computer. It is 7.1 ready but I only use 5.1. One stereo output goes to the back of my room where it gets played back by a modern JVC Ghetto Blaster with 4-way speakers. The front port runs to a set of ear muff styled stereo headphones.(this works great for being quiet but still hearing everything) The center port runs to my monitor but I rarely use it and the subwoofer sits under my desk. With careful adjustments and fine tuning I get the most out of my bandwidth between 8 and 8 thousand hertz.

If you listen to a Genesis game with good bass, this proves you don't need lots of space to make good sound, but if you want to hear crystal clear voices it's going to need alot more space in comparison.

• Retromags Curator

What are you listening to your music on? I am not into techno electro music; anytime I have heard it, it has sounded distorted to me to begin with, probably because of the volume. I guess encoding all depends on the type of music. For the stuff I listen to (which never EVER includes Celine Dion!), mp3s leave something to be desired.

• Downvote 1

What are you listening to your music on? I am not into techno electro music; anytime I have heard it, it has sounded distorted to me to begin with, probably because of the volume. I guess encoding all depends on the type of music. For the stuff I listen to (which never EVER includes Celine Dion!), mp3s leave something to be desired.

What do you listen to? I listen to mostly classc rock and 320 sounds extremely crisp. My biggest improvement in sound came not from encoding at a higher bitrate but by spending $100 on Grados SR80 headphones. Even listening to tv shows was a huge improvement. Everything was extremely crisp.