New Members Introduce Yourselves

Phillyman

Sup? I've been gaming for almost 26 years now. Started back in 1984 with an old Atari 800XL. Long time reader of EGM (Long live the king!) and OLD Nintendo power from the 8/16-bit era. I'll admit, I'm a Nintendo/ JRPG fanboy, but I do get into all kinds of gaming, so long as it's not Modern Sports titles. I just can't stand anything with the words Madden or NHL and a number higher than '94. My mainstays are anything Final Fantasy related, including XI, Nintendo first party titles, old 16 bit Dragon Ball Z games (Can thank EGM for that one).

I'm 30 now. Was reading EGM religiously since issue #47 (I must have been 12 or 13 at the time) but I did own a few of the single digit issues, and I also remember issue #25 specifically. I didn't have a job prior to 12 years old, so my parents wouldn't always fork over the cash for a new mag every month, and trying to get a subscription from them back then, let's just say, that wasn't an easy feat. I did manage to squeeze out the first 2 years of Nintendo power out of them though.

Nowadays, I'm a firm supporter of emulation, especially on the PSP. Nothing like having every single game you ever wanted as a kid on a single memory stick.

I came here looking for old EGM mags I missed or even owned as a kid. My mom went nuts and trashed my collection when I was 16. So I don't have any issues that pre-date 1997, but I do have nearly 75% of the issues since then, in a box in my closet. I was looking to donate and get my hands on PDF versions, but it seems I can't do that. Is that function ever coming back? Or at the very least, the Rapidshare links? I'm dying to read some old EGM, it's good nostalgia for me.

Anyway, nice to meet you all.

Hiya & welcome to the site.

We have some EGM's here but due to the recent issues with our Rapidshare side of things they are only available to members who have posted enough or have contributed to the site. Down despair though .... we are working on rectifying the issue as fast as possible so they will become available eventually. And I am converting all our mags over to PDF for those into that format rather than .CBR's so expect to see them as I get them converted and reuploaded.

In the meantime you could check the misc downloads where we have some Amiga and Atari mags with download links along with some Nintendo/SNES mags I have uploaded. And all the Analog Computing mags for the Atari 800XL [one lovely machine I have to say ... still own mine] have links too. So while they aren't EGM's hopefully they'll keep you going until we get things back to normal around here.

I'd happily scan your EGM's but the postage to New Zealand would be a real shocker!!!! tongue.gif

I got a scanner, it's a Brother MFC-290C Printer/Scanner/Fax combo, would it be worth scanning some of my mags? You guys seem to already have a lot of the stuff I would probably be able to contribute, but I'd be happy to try. I'm sure I can learn how to make a CBZ or PDF, I'm pretty good at learning computer related stuff. I'd dig out my mags in a heartbeat if you guys want them. Would seem like a pittance to get my hands on the old EGM's I want to see.

I got a scanner, it's a Brother MFC-290C Printer/Scanner/Fax combo, would it be worth scanning some of my mags? You guys seem to already have a lot of the stuff I would probably be able to contribute, but I'd be happy to try. I'm sure I can learn how to make a CBZ or PDF, I'm pretty good at learning computer related stuff. I'd dig out my mags in a heartbeat if you guys want them. Would seem like a pittance to get my hands on the old EGM's I want to see.

Contributing as absolutely the best way for both the site and members as without contributors this place wouldn't exist.

• Like 1

Contributing as absolutely the best way for both the site and members as without contributors this place wouldn't exist.

Then I'll start looking, I'm sure I'll find some kind of gem the site may want. I've got some old Nintendo buyers guide with Bart Simpson on the cover from maybe late 80's early 90's. And an old rare Japanese Panasonic 3DO mag that's really interesting to look at even now. Lots of "Adult" games out in Japan for 3DO that we didn't see here in the States (I happened to own the original 3DO back in 1995, bought it for $300 off of a friend as well as a TG16/CD with Cosmic Fantasy 2 damn, those were the days!). I'll start teaching myself scanning tonight after my GF leaves for work. And I'll set aside some of the better mags I have tonight as well.

Then I'll start looking, I'm sure I'll find some kind of gem the site may want. I've got some old Nintendo buyers guide with Bart Simpson on the cover from maybe late 80's early 90's. And an old rare Japanese Panasonic 3DO mag that's really interesting to look at even now. Lots of "Adult" games out in Japan for 3DO that we didn't see here in the States (I happened to own the original 3DO back in 1995, bought it for $300 off of a friend as well as a TG16/CD with Cosmic Fantasy 2 damn, those were the days!). I'll start teaching myself scanning tonight after my GF leaves for work. And I'll set aside some of the better mags I have tonight as well.

That's cool. If you do want to scan the guide is

1. Scan at 300dpi

2. After you crop and rotate the pages resize it to 1440 resolution width-wise and let the software auto resize the vertical

Any issues just PM me or yell on the forum as plenty of members here are willing to help out. If you are unable to edit let us know so we can work out a way of getting your raw scans uploaded somewhere for someone else to edit. When we receive contributions Philly happily changes a persons status

at which point the world is your oyster so to speak.

Again ... welcome aboard.

I'd like to see you contribute a magazine here. If you got some EGM that would be where I would start. If it's not in the download section then work on that one. Even if somebody has it, screw them cause the only way something get's done around here is if you do it yourself but that seems like the norm everywhere I have been.

If you have Photoshop and know how to create a new document at the same dimensions as the magazine 8.5 X 11 inch at 300 dpi then you can create a mazazine.

With the JPEGs you size up with Photoshop get numbered from 01,02,03...09,10,11... and compressed with winrar.

Creating a PDF is complicated unless you know how to use Adobe Indesign which is the best and easiest way to make PDF's. You set up a document with Indesign the same way as Photoshop except you choose how many pages will be in it, then "place" the jpegs of the scans into each page. When all JPEG's fill each document page you choose file>export...> PDF is will be the default and all you need is to name the document.

I've been a member since '08,I have a good selection of uk mags pre 2000,never owned a scanner before,but tempted to contribute.I probably need step by step instructions on how to scan.How long does a 130 page + scan take?Basically I need a talk through....

Welcome. If you don't have a scanner you won't be able to scan. :mellow: To scan 130 pages takes about 2 hours. To edit the scans depends on your skills with Photoshop which I would argue is the fastest way of readying your images for public release. If most of your scans are straight and or you don't need to press ctrl plus T to free transform each image then, you could get those ready in about 45 minutes but that never happens and it would take me an hour and a half not including breaks.

It's alot of tedious work but it's not hard at all, unless you are trying to fix a ripped, soiled or scratched cover then it could take a few days, because it leads to a burn-out if you do nothing else but scan and edit.

Really, it must go one step at a time and you do not move to step to until you complete step 1.

Step 1 is scan the chosen magazine.

That's cool. If you do want to scan the guide is

1. Scan at 300dpi

2. After you crop and rotate the pages resize it to 1440 resolution width-wise and let the software auto resize the vertical

Any issues just PM me or yell on the forum as plenty of members here are willing to help out. If you are unable to edit let us know so we can work out a way of getting your raw scans uploaded somewhere for someone else to edit. When we receive contributions Philly happily changes a persons status

at which point the world is your oyster so to speak.

Again ... welcome aboard.

You said to scan at 300 dots per inch but most common scanners or combination scanner/printers don't offer any option.

If you mean to create Photoshop or Indesign documents at 300 DPI, that makes sense as high resolution is good but the size could potentially reach between 300 and 500 Megabytes.

Gamepro issue 2 that I scanned last week was fit into a Photoshop document with 150 dots per inch and the quality meter between 1 and 12 was set to 8 on each picture. What do you and others think of this quality?

You said to scan at 300 dots per inch but most common scanners or combination scanner/printers don't offer any option.

If you mean to create Photoshop or Indesign documents at 300 DPI, that makes sense as high resolution is good but the size could potentially reach between 300 and 500 Megabytes.

Gamepro issue 2 that I scanned last week was fit into a Photoshop document with 150 dots per inch and the quality meter between 1 and 12 was set to 8 on each picture. What do you and others think of this quality?

Every scanner I have ever owned allows you to set the DPI scanning resolution either in the scanning software that controls it or physically via menu settings as in the Brother MFC6890CDW A3 scanner I am currently using. I am not sure what model you are using but my guess is if you use the standard menu it defaults to 150DPI but if you use the Advanced manu you should get a whole range of options to choose from.

Thanks for all of the advice guys. Been reading some of the tutorial stickies, too bad there's broken images in the one tut, seems really informative. I'm a long time forum-go'er and former Administrator of Game Quest, a forum I ran from like 2001-2004, and I must say, your's may be a more tight knit group from what I've seen so far, but you give the warmest of welcomes. Not everywhere is so kind to us n00bs. It's very appreciated and quite refreshing. Still working on my first mag, IRL work is impeding my progress, but I'll have it done soon. I've got a stack of everything I own pre-2000 sitting in my living room aggrivating my girlfriend, so I know I must be doing something right! lol

Hat's off to all of you and the great preservation work you're all doing.

• 1 month later...

new member hi heres my story this all started as i saw gamesmaster torrent and

got back into retro videogames this is a great site and so much

hard work has gone into it im really pleased.

im amazed at the value of the old magazines now i used to have

the full collections of meanmachines, total, superplay, gamefan,

ulimate, gamezone, snes force, super pro, plus others and alot of

special overseas mags like videogame ( german mag ) and more. dam

i could be rich by now lol. i moved and through all that away all in

mint condition. im kicking myself now but im buying back little by

little of what i had.

i was lucky enough to have a friend that brought back stuff from

hong kong and had loads of magazines from him.

so really im back in the game and really pleased at this site as

if stuff does get binned by mistake. at least we can still had a pdf

of it :)

thanks people

atik: im sorry you lost magazines to it will never happen to me again. when moving

in the future all my treasures will be moved by my car not removal lorry.

ive just joined the rat race and aquired some mean machines, cvg, super pro magazines.

areala: hi areala thanks for the welcome me a mascot hehe think i need to be a member for awhile yet.

if your looking for a mascot members could do a picture and call him retroman or her retrowomen.

a super hero kind of person that gives out magazines to people ( as thats what this site does

archive and give out pdfs ) just a throught.

anyway thanks for the welcomes im getting afew mags now and i have a cannon printer/scanner so i will upload

some covers very soon in an album i will make.

RM :Yahooo:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, to tell the truth I have known about Retromags almost since it first came out. I've been a premium member for a while, but I have not had the time I wanted to really dive into the site.

I'm a Freelance Concept Artist/Illustrator and the past year and a half /two years have been pretty darn busy. However,hings have slowed quite a bit recently and I am finding myself with more free time so, here I am. I am looking forward to checking out the forums and the newer downloads... I may also be able to finally scan an issue or two to add to the Retromags digital collection.