New Members Introduce Yourselves

Phillyman

I am a graduate student at Florida State University. I came across Retromags just after it's founding by Phillyman back in November of 2005 while checking out some of the offerings at various torrent sites.

I grew up with the NES and SNES and was a subscriber to Nintendo Power for several years so I was very excited to hear of this project. Every now and then I would search for Nintendo Power mags on eBay and consider buying the back issues that I got rid of many years ago. I am looking forward to getting the entire back catalog of issues online and preserving and keeping them available for other Retrogaming fanatics.

There has been a noticable trend lately toward the revival of classic games. This can be seen in Nintendo's Classic NES series for GBA and the Atari Flashback system. I expect that this trend will only strengthen in the future with the release of the Nintendo Revolution and it's virtual console function. Sure, emulators have been around for years but it is my thinking that having classic games available to mainstream consumers will be a very good thing for the retro gaming community.

That being said, the arrival of the Retromags project could not have come at a better time. There are few better sources of video game nostalgia than Nintendo Power (and other retro gaming mags). I will do what I can to support the continuation of the work at Retromags.com.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 24 and an Computer Hardware/Software Engineer. I found retromags myself about 6 weeks or so ago, when I was searching for Nintendo Power mags online (after recently discovering comic book scans, i figured everything's gotta be out there...) I have an HP all in one machine with an auto document feeder, I love it, its the best. I've already scanned thousands of pages of old bills, photos, whatever's sitting around on paper that I want to keep but dont have room for, so cutting apart my old NP's and scanning 'em for this was a good idea, and a good way to give back to those scanning the stuff I'm interested in downloading myself.....

I like long walks on the beach, candle light dinners, and.... oh wait, wrong 'about me' section, disregard :D

Yo! I'm a 26 year old IT manager and general video game junkie! I work at a video game store in West Chester, OH named Game Junkie, and I've been a fan of emulation and gaming online for nearly 10 years now. Through some IRC friends of mine, I discovered this effort and hope I can be of at least a little bit of help, and have a little bit of fun in the forums about it all. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, nice site, very nice project (and one I'd like to contribute to).

Name is Shawn, currently living in Rio Rancho, NM (suburb of Albuquerque), originally from Fresno, CA. 30 years old, gaming since the Atari 2600 days. Got into gaming mags fairly early, my old faves being Video Games &Computer Entertaintment (VGC&E), a text heavy multi-platform mag back in the day. I'm sure most of you are like me, and if you are, then you remember poring over each gaming mag until you had it almost memorized. I'm still like that today, but gaming mags these days have no soul (the biggest offender being EGM, which I thoroughly enjoyed back when Steve Harris & Ed Semrad ran the show...). I nearly fell out of my chair when I came across the posts on usenet. Very nice, and something that seems to have some dedicated folks behind it.

I'd love to contribute, unfortunately, my wife made me give up boxes of my older mags from the early days during our numerous moves in the mlitary, but I have some stuff that might interest some (tojs of EGM from late 90's to about a year ago, a couple of issues each Gamers Republic, Gamefan, Gamepro (yech), Game Informer (anyone else remember getting this from Funcolanbd back in the day?), & PSM. Also have the only issue of GameGO! and some other things lying around that I can't think of). I've got a decent scanner (HP 1310), and would love to get started. Any tips for scanning w/o having to destroy the mags would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & I look forward to helping,

Shawn

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoy!

18 years old, Scottish lad, GSOH. Interested in the preservation and enjoyment of older games and all things related. WLTM other nerd(s) for scanning/editing, etc. and maybe more...

Anyway, seriously, being such a youngster my primary gaming memories come from the 16-bit era, rather than the 8-bit. I'm also more of a Sega fan than a Nintendo one. Growing up, I was completely obsessed with Sonic the Hedgehog - I had all the games (even Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine), a large number of the "Sonic the Comic" magazines and a fair few of the cartoons on video. I might even have had a couple of the adventure gamebooks.

Unfortunately, as I "grew up" I lost interest in gaming altogether, thereby completely missing out on everything between the Megadrive and the current era of consoles, so I remain perpetually intrigued about that whole era. Moved about the country a few times, and somewhere along the way I lost most of my gaming stuff (all the mags, videos, etc).

I guess my main interest with regards to scanning would be to see the Sonic the Comic series preserved (if I remember correctly, something in the region of 200 of them were produced). However, as many of the issues came with a pullout poster, it's hard to find complete issues any more.

So.. yeah. That's me.

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy folks! I'm 26 from Ottawa, Canada.. I was born into computers and games starting with the Atari 400 and 2600 and still haven't stopped. I've done some console development on the NES, GBA, Dreamcast and Xbox (nothing noteworthy), and I tend to collect anything and everything about emulation. I have a modest collection of vintage hardware and software as well, mostly Atari and Commodore.

I used to be a very young yet locally successful house and trance DJ many many years ago. I still occasionally record and produce music as a hobby. I'm also a grand-master Photoshopper, semi-decent web designer and crazy programmer. Long story short, anything with wires going into it, is my bitch :)

Any good intro would be incomplete without my PC specs, so read em and weep:

Athlon X2 4800 dual-core OC'ed @ 2.8ghz

4.0 gb RAM

3.2 tb disks

19" LCD master, two 20" CRT sides.. I'd plug more displays but they don't make desks big enough :P

Radeon X700 + X600 PCI-E (not a big 3D gamer)

Audiophile 2496 sound card for recording, onboard optical for the rest

Windows Server 2003, and Gentoo Linux just for fun

It's an OK machine I guess :P at least until I can afford a quad processor board and four Opteron X2 890's to go with it, just to see how fast my compiler can go :) Anybody care to lend me ten grand no interest ? :P

--- update ---

Weee I finally built my quad Opteron :D Though I had to downgrade to 870 cpus but this runs circles around the dual Xeon workstation it replaced. Now my X2 is just for gaming and music, I do all my real work on the Opteron. For the curious among you, I develop and sell CRM and ERP software, but my day job is tech support. Hopefully I will be able to grow my software business into a full-time career and quit the call center :)

• 3 weeks later...

OK heres mine.

I'm 19 living in the OC and have been an avid nintendo fan for years, back in my younger years was on the nes like it was crack (i still do sometimes). I love the innovation and graphics of new games but sometimes i miss the old sympilcty of the side scrollers that had bad graphics but were fun for the challenge not a long drawn out storyline. I personally think the Wizard is one of the best video game movies of all time and i guess thats about all anything else you want to know?

• 3 weeks later...